"Tactical" 22 LR vs Ruger 10/22 vs Bolt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Another budget option is a marlin 795. Dirt cheap and accurate as hell out of the box. I'm Also a huge fan of the 15-22!!

:thumbsup: Add tech sights, a sling and a few extra factory mags and you're still around $250 - $275. Very light, dependable and accurate.
    here's mine. It's been completely reliable with a variety of ammo. The only hiccup I had was me being an idiot and dry firing. It cracked the hammer in half and I had to go take it apart and replace the hammer. The good news is the gun is fairly easy to work on. Just take the c-clips off one side of the internals and a plate comes off to give you access to everything.

The 795 is just a model 60 with a magazine instead of being tube-fed. Because of this, you can get some better accuracy out of it. There's no tube stuck to the barrel to throw off the harmonics. The stock isn't free floated from the factory, but you can always just gouge it out or get a boyd's stock.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=12702&cat=1216
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=12707&cat=1217
    1205091249.jpg
    The good thing about marlins for rimfires is that they use the microgroove barrel. It's got rifling like the barrels on a battleship or tank, lots of little grooves. They tend to work pretty well with lead projectiles and put up some great groups. Here's a 100 yard group with my 795 using wolf match ammo at hap baker...
    795 at 100 yds wolf match.jpg

and here's what the rifling looks like...
    795 rifling.jpg

overall, if you're not planning on doing anything to the gun and you want the most accurate semi-auto for the money, the 795 is a solid choice. They typically outshoot 10/22's out of the box. If you have plans to change the gun to something else, or want better aftermarket support for things like stocks/mags/internals/barrels, the 10/22 is the king.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Wow for as low as 150 I may HAVE to start with the marlin. It's starting to sound like I'll need more than one.

Is there any magazine interchangeability with these? I know, I'm really, REALLY ignorant when it comes to .22lr platforms...

I.e., if I bought the Marlin, some magazines for it, and then later the Ruger, would I be able to use the same magazines? What about for the 15/22 or the Sig?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Wow for as low as 150 I may HAVE to start with the marlin. It's starting to sound like I'll need more than one.

Is there any magazine interchangeability with these? I know, I'm really, REALLY ignorant when it comes to .22lr platforms...

I.e., if I bought the Marlin, some magazines for it, and then later the Ruger, would I be able to use the same magazines? What about for the 15/22 or the Sig?

rugers use a proprietary rotary magazine, although there are many aftermarket 25+ round mags readily available for it...including one that ruger puts out now. The standard rotary mag holds 10 and seats flush with the stock. The marlin mags are a traditional single-stack steel mag that sticks out the bottom. You can also get more capacity with them if you want....
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/25-rd-marlin-795-22-lr-mag.aspx?a=1128210
    The 15/22 can take pretty much any ar-conversion style mag. They're readily available pretty much anywhere.

otisthedrnk

Feb 12, 2013
    IMO I like Marlins but find the one that feels best to you I practice with a Rem. 541T then my 700 feels almost the same

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    10/22 at Timonium for $295 with a cheap Tasco scope. It is at the Shooter's Discount table (but not being sold by Lou).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    rugers use a proprietary rotary magazine, although there are many aftermarket 25+ round mags readily available for it...including one that ruger puts out now. The standard rotary mag holds 10 and seats flush with the stock. The marlin mags are a traditional single-stack steel mag that sticks out the bottom. You can also get more capacity with them if you want....
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/25-rd-marlin-795-22-lr-mag.aspx?a=1128210
    The 15/22 can take pretty much any ar-conversion style mag. They're readily available pretty much anywhere.

S&W 15-22 uses a proprietary magazine. S&W threatened to sue Promag and Plinker Tactical if they continued to make and sell their higher capacity mags although they did not threaten BDM that makes a 50 round drum that fits the 15-22. The 22 conversion mags only fit ARs with 22 conversions or dedicated AR 22 uppers that use a version of the CMMG bolt assembly and they also fit the sig 522. They do not fit the Colt/HK AR 22s.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Everyone needs a .22. Go to rimfirecentral.com and look around. If you want accuracy at a reasonable price get a CZ.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I own a Rger 10/22 inside of a High Tower Armory 90/22 stock kit, a Marlin 795 and a Sig 522 and if I could only have one I would take the Sig.

See the Marlin out of the box is a bit more accurate than the Ruger. Sure you can make the Ruger more accurate but I'm talking out of the box. The Marlin is reliable but not as reliable as the Ruger. I'm talking a stovepipe 1 in every 500 rounds vs the Ruger 1 in 1000. No big deal but still.

And then there is the Sig. It is as reliable as the Ruger and more accurate than the Ruger or the Marlin. The stock makes it easy to pack because I can fold it up and throw it in a case that is roughly the size of a small violin case so taking it to the range is super easy. The only disadvantage to the Sig is it's a bit heavier than the Marlin. If the SHTF tomorrow and I had to take one and only one 22 rifle I'd take the Sig.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    I'm a CZ nut and have purchases several of their bolt-action 452's and a semi-auto CZ-512. They are pricier than a stock Ruger 10/22 but they all share the same magazine along with the CZ-455.

We also have 2 Ruger 10/22's which my wife and daughter find to be easier to use then my 512.

My next CZ will be a 452 Ultra Lux with the 28" barrel.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    You cannot buy or sell 10+ rd mags in MD, but you can buy them out of state and bring them back and possess/use them.

A rifle with an attached tube magazine, e.g., Marlin 60, Henry Golden Boy, etc., is excepted. You can possess, buy, and sell these in the state.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I own a Rger 10/22 inside of a High Tower Armory 90/22 stock kit, a Marlin 795 and a Sig 522 and if I could only have one I would take the Sig.

See the Marlin out of the box is a bit more accurate than the Ruger. Sure you can make the Ruger more accurate but I'm talking out of the box. The Marlin is reliable but not as reliable as the Ruger. I'm talking a stovepipe 1 in every 500 rounds vs the Ruger 1 in 1000. No big deal but still.

And then there is the Sig. It is as reliable as the Ruger and more accurate than the Ruger or the Marlin. The stock makes it easy to pack because I can fold it up and throw it in a case that is roughly the size of a small violin case so taking it to the range is super easy. The only disadvantage to the Sig is it's a bit heavier than the Marlin. If the SHTF tomorrow and I had to take one and only one 22 rifle I'd take the Sig.
    I serious doubt the Sig is more accurate than the Ruger or Marlin. The NRA rag American Rifleman when they did their Tactical .22 shootout, the Sig was only the 3rd most accurate behind the Ruger SR22 (tactical 10/22) and the Remington 597 VTR. And it was not that close after the top 2.
    The problem with picking the Sig as a SHTF rifle is you violate one of the prime rules of SHTF scenarios. You pick the rifle that is not only accurate, but uses the most common ammo, and YOU PICK ONE THAT IS THE MOST COMMON RIFLE POSSIBLE SO WHEN IT BREAKS DOWN THERE ARE LOTS OF ONES AROUND YOU CAN GET PARTS FROM. 5 years down the road I would still be shooting a 10/22 while most likely you would be looking for one to replace a damaged Sig that you can't fix or find parts for. I would not pick either my Rem 597 or my 2 S&W 15-22s for the same reason. I would take my AR and toss in my dedicated .22 upper. much more practical.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    This is a ton of really awesome feedback. Ok, so let's get to brass tacks...

It sounds like there are probably 4 or 5 .22 LRs I want now :sad20:. I don't want to buy them all right now, though, so I have to pick one.

Given that, I'm going to focus on the SHTF scenario. It sounds like people are generally leaning toward the 10/22 for the availability of spare parts. I'm trying to distill a lot of information here, so does that make sense?

In short, the first .22LR I'll buy will fit the plinking role AND SHTF role, so the 10/22 makes the most sense?

Also, I'm nearly completely averse to getting a .22 upper for my existing AR as a solution here, because I don't want to end up in an "either-or" situation if I can help it. I might get a .22 upper for fun, later on.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The answer for first .22 rifle is ALWAYS 10/22. :)

Then you get the other ones.

BTW, I was looking at my records, my 10/22 cost $61 and change, tax included, new. :)

I think I need another one. :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    what will you be shooting and where? Indoors? Outdoors? Distance? plinking on private land?
    Bolt action is typically more accurate but slower rate of fire. Nice for a bench.

I know people who have sold their 10/22 and had no problem getting a buyer. I also know much more people who kept them and were not dissapointed. I have a Marlin, it's cheaper and I'd say more accurate out of the box but only if your shooting from a bench. 10/22 is well known for being easier to upgrade but that's not what I would want to do myself. The way the Barrel is pinned on the Marlin can cause some issues with the scope mounting (not correct alignment from receiver top to barrel). Easier to shim a rail on the 10/22 mount in my opinion. I shoot my Marlin with a Red Dot or tech sights and no issues. I have a Bolt for longer distances shooting swinging steel plates at 100yds with a scope. If I had private land to shoot steel or other "objects" I'm sure I'd have a lever action by now. I shoot 22's indoors and out. Don't use the scope indoors though.

SHTF 22? Hmmm. If trouble comes and I need to bug out, not sure the 22 is what I'll be grabbing first. But it will be in the car with hundreds of rounds for sure.

bobbowmossberg

Shoot it Where?
    Dec 27, 2012
    Baltimore
    I forget who on the board says this all the time, but everyone should have a Ruger 10/22 in their collection.

The other rifles are good, but the Ruger is the one to have if you don't have one right now.

I agree. I am the proud owner of The 10/22 and the MP 15-22 love them both:lol:

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    SHTF 22? Hmmm. If trouble comes and I need to bug out, not sure the 22 is what I'll be grabbing first. But it will be in the car with hundreds of rounds for sure.

Make no mistake, in a real worst case scenario I have go-to weapons. If I had to pick just one in a disaster circumstance, I would pick my 5.56 every time.

I'm sort of going for just what you described, something I could toss in a bag or in the car with plenty of ammo, depend on and maintain with relative ease. I'm not looking to replace any worst case scenario options. It's more like, since I want a .22 anyway for the enjoyment of shooting with cheap cheap ammo, I might as well get the most practical one.

To answer your question though, I shoot at ranges and on private land. I rarely have the opportunity to shoot further than 100 yards, but do sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom