• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My understanding is that they were qualifying and the gun went off while he was reholstering. Possibly got his finger inside the guard. Seriously doubt it was a mechanical issue.

Serpa holster? I've heard of issues with it if you don't reholster correctly and leave your finger on the trigger.

Reholstering should be a slow and deliberate process IMHO. Especially on a range where you have the time.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    A lot of buddies on the CCSO carry their personal weapons now. Most have .40 Taurus and .45 Colt because none of them want the departmental issue Beretta junk.

I know, for fact, Charles County Sheriff's Deputies have been issued S&W M&P .40 for several years, now.

Beretta 96 were offered to the deputies at a cost of $250 each, IF the deputy wanted to purchase his issued Beretta at the changeover.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Not sure if you mean Calvert or Charles for the CCSO, but Charles are not allowed to carry personal weapons. Currently they carry the SW MP40

When did this change????? How recently???

In the past, if the deputy qualified with a pistol or revolver (and it was of a certain minimum caliber - 9mm I THINK), he/she could carry it off-duty.

On duty, the issued M&P .40 is required.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Historically, it seems that most LEO's and all important people go to Shock Trauma for everything. Just sayin'.

It was not self-inflicted, [and] he was not shot by someone else,” Black said. “What made the weapon discharge is still being reviewed and under investigation, ... to determine what caused the weapon to go off.”

Really? So nobody shot him and he didn't shoot himself. An inanimate object must have shot him......it must have been the gun shooting by itself.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Man I hate when that happens. I've had so many guns go off on their own, I never load them anymore. :sad20:

I hope he heals quickly while looking for a different job.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Serpa holster? I've heard of issues with it if you don't reholster correctly and leave your finger on the trigger.

Reholstering should be a slow and deliberate process IMHO. Especially on a range where you have the time.

Not to derail the thread more but the Serpa holster is a pox upon gun owners. Not only does it instill a bad habit for unholstering, the locking mechanism rests in the trigger guard so dpending on the make and model of gun being used I could see that if if the gun is a bit loose and moving around in the holster that the locking mechanism could hit the bang switch. It would require a series of unfourtinate events but it is still plausable.

If you have a Serpa throw it away and buy just about anything else.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Back in 1999-2000 I remember hearing in roll call that MSP had several "accidental" discharges caused by the Safariland Holster they were using at the time. It had a flimsy strap that would get caught in the trigger. I even recall one "accidental" shooting of a suspect on Charles Street / 695 that was laying on the ground and the female trooper said that the gun went off when she was holstering. I also remember 2-3 "accidental" holes that got blown in the passenger side door and floor from people I worked with when they were removing their shotgun - I don't think they were practicing "Touch Index" - plus we were never suppose to carry the shotgun hot.

RP

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Speedy recovery.

"wounded at a gun range by a round from a .40-caliber handgun, a weapon that the sheriff’s office reports that neither he nor anyone else was holding", wow.

Imagine using that as a defence at a murder trial...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom