• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ok. So a couple years back I built an SBR, and set out to prove mostly to myself that a BCM upper run with Slip2000 is a reliable, quality setup. I have a BCM 11.5" BFH upper with a BCM BCG and OG (1st gen Mod4 Gunfighter CH). The lower is an Engage Armament ENG-15 with Colt parts, Spikes Battle Trigger (NIB), with an VLTOR RE using a Colt M4 spring and H2 buffer.

I'm not rich, so I couldn't do some crazy 10k round count, and it took me a few years to get to this point... but basically I am impressed.

What you need to know:

- This rifle has had ~2600 rounds through it.
    - ~900 were run suppressed through a YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
    - ~300 rounds were run with a RDIAS
    - the rifle was run so hot once that the gas tube is now rainbow-colored
    - the ONLY malfunctions this rifle has EVER encountered were 3 failures for the bolt to lock, with old Colt mags and a Surefire 60-round mag (after changing followers and springs in the Colt mags they have run 100%)
    - I never cleaned the rifle, aside from pulling a boresnake through the barrel a couple times and adding 2 drops of Slip2000 EWL to the bolt and carrier's bearing surfaces (no disassembly of the BCG)

So after a few years of running this rifle ragged, I have decided to clean it and inspect the BCG to check the locking lugs, gas rings, and overall condition. I took a few pics before dropping the BCG into mineral spirits for about 5 minutes as I wiped grime off the CH and out of the upper.

ryjese7a.jpg

aqa6uby3.jpg

nadepune.jpg

Pretty unremarkable. Just a bunch of slick, black grime. The Spikes NIB Battle Trigger components have turned black. I wiped them off, but couldn't see much silver coloring. Everything is slick and I saw no need to detail clean the lower. So after letting the BCG soak in mineral spirits for a few minutes, I stripped it down and brushed everything off with a nylon GP/"M16" brush and wiped it all clean with shop rags. No scraping, no wire wheels, no metal brushes. I wanted to see how well Slip2000 EWL prevented carbon build-up and powder fouling from adhering to the parkerized surfaces. Here's what I saw:

tegavapa.jpg

e6u3a6y3.jpg

eby6a6um.jpg

ny9asary.jpg

zehy4ynu.jpg

a8ejanab.jpg

emuza8y4.jpg

(Note the shiny surfaces on the rear of the locking lugs, nicely polished from use. No peening, cracks or damage)

zy2ehyza.jpg

(Passing the gas ring test)

So, in summation, over two years I've added 10 drops of EWL to the entire rifle and pulled a boresnake through the barrel a few times. This thing runs like a raped ape, and I'm happy. Figured I'd share this with you guys looking for quality upper parts and a good lube. Thanks for reading!

dedepuqy.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Interesting thanks for posting.

I use slip2000 on my colt 6920 (among other guns) and have had no issues- though with far more cleaning.

I think people will show up momentarily claiming any lube would have garnered the same results (ie its the platform, not the lube). However- it's safe to say that slip2000 is quality lube....and combined with a bore snake can get the job done in a pinch.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Thanks for posting. I've been using Slip for several years now but haven't put it through anything like this. I certainly feel like I made the right choice using Slip.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Awesome write up, thanks for that. Slip2000 and froglube paste are my go to's these days.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I like the Slip as well. I usually use a mixture of Slip and Mobile 1. That BCM should last you a lifetime.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom