Legal to pick up a 2nd Restricted Firearm when I pick up the first?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    OK...I've got the paperwork going on an AR. Can I pick up a second restricted firearm (such as an AK) from the same dealer when I pick up the first firearm? I seem to recollect that at one time, this was allowed, but don't know the current policies. Thanks.

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    IF you purchase 2 firearms from that dealer, and they are BOTH put in for paperwork (mult firearm purchase) on the same paperwork at the same time, then yes.

Otherwise you run afoul of the 30 day rule: you may only pick up one firearm every 30 days, unless a Designated Collector.

IF you filed papers for 2 at once, you can pick them up together, but then you have ot wait 60 days.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    IF you purchase 2 firearms from that dealer, and they are BOTH put in for paperwork (mult firearm purchase) on the same paperwork at the same time, then yes.

Otherwise you run afoul of the 30 day rule: you may only pick up one firearm every 30 days, unless a Designated Collector.

IF you filed papers for 2 at once, you can pick them up together, but then you have ot wait 60 days.

I think he can pick 2 guns up in 30 days. He cannot purchase 2 guns within 30 days.

Say he put paper work in for ar on aug 1st. Dealer held gun for longer then 8 days. Picked up gun sept 1. By way law is written he could go purchased a new regulated weapon sept 2 and pick it up 8 days later if dealer is doing 8 day release. Meaning only 9 days Inbetween picking guns up.

But I could be wrong. Hundreds of ways to interpret law.

But in your case most likely not. If paper work just went in on your ar. You will now have to wait 30 days to file paper work again to purchase a regulated gun

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    I've been a designated collector for fifteen years, so that isn't an issue.

So yes you can pick up both - I usually pickup multiple firearms per visit - saves on transfer costs when you transfer multiple firearms at the same time.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'm thinking that perhaps I made a mistake in my original question.

I have paperwork on one gun in the pipeline. I do not have paperwork on a second gun in the pipeline. I recollect that at one time, people could pick up two guns on one set of paperwork if they picked them both up at the same time.

bigweswes

Oct 4, 2012
    pasadena
    both could have gone in on the same set of paperwork. as a collector you could put 10 on a single set of paperwork if you desire. your thinking about non collectors they can put 2 purchases on a single set of paperwork and pick both up together but then they have to wait 60 days

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm thinking that perhaps I made a mistake in my original question.

I have paperwork on one gun in the pipeline. I do not have paperwork on a second gun in the pipeline. I recollect that at one time, people could pick up two guns on one set of paperwork if they picked them both up at the same time.

Yes you can do that. Just tell the dealer you want to add another firearm to the paperwork before you or they sign it when the waiting period is up. I am not exactly sure of the process but your dealer should know so talk to them before they do anything more with the paperwork.

Daniel87

Jan 10, 2013
    Phoenix, MD
    I think he can pick 2 guns up in 30 days. He cannot purchase 2 guns within 30 days.

Say he put paper work in for ar on aug 1st. Dealer held gun for longer then 8 days. Picked up gun sept 1. By way law is written he could go purchased a new regulated weapon sept 2 and pick it up 8 days later if dealer is doing 8 day release. Meaning only 9 days Inbetween picking guns up.

But I could be wrong. Hundreds of ways to interpret law.

But in your case most likely not. If paper work just went in on your ar. You will now have to wait 30 days to file paper work again to purchase a regulated gun

The state considers the "purchase" when you pick it up. so this statement is incorrect

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , depending on how old Mike ODTP is , he might remember doing that. Before 1994 , once your paperwork came back ND , you could add up to two additional handguns on a continuation sheet. Some dealers interpeted that to mean at the exact moment you picked up the first, other dealers included anytime later in the same day.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Well , depending on how old Mike ODTP is , he might remember doing that. Before 1994 , once your paperwork came back ND , you could add up to two additional handguns on a continuation sheet. Some dealers interpeted that to mean at the exact moment you picked up the first, other dealers included anytime later in the same day.

It has to be added before the dealer fills out the additional info for picking up on a day other than when the form was originally filled out. There is some atf info out there regarding the procedure.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

I'm that old. Old enough to remember that Maryland was once a halfway decent place to live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom