• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ok, so as I'm sure all of you are aware, there has been much consternation about the Gen4 GLOCK pistols in 9mm. I know this is a sample size of 1 and I'm no Todd K of pistol-training.com... but I plan to put out a fair (if slightly subjective) review of my experience with this pistol over the next year or so.

The serial number prefix is "VHW" and was test fired at the factory on 6/21/13. *will insert RSA, extractor and ejector numbers here next time I check*

I have installed Warren Tactical Sevigny sights, plain black rear with a fiber optic (green) front sight. This pistol will primarily serve as my IDPA SSP & ESP pistol over the next year. I am doing my best to shoot a "full" season in order to qualify for sanctioned matches above the club level. I hope to put 2000+ rounds through it in the next year or so.

I hope to either prove or disprove to myself that GLOCK Gen4 pistols are fine pistols, and that teething problems evident in early production guns have been resolved.

As for the pistol itself, what can I say that hasn't already been said? It's a good-looking gun, and feels great in my mitts with a medium beavertail backstrap installed. I have chosen to leave the trigger completely stock, as it has smooth travel with no creep, and a crisp carrot-like break not unlike some Geissele AR triggers. I can weigh it and get the poundage now and check it periodically to see if it decreases.

My very first range trip was a success, firing 50 rounds of PPU 115 gr FMJ ammo with no malfunctions. Here are the first 5 groups, of 5 rounds each fired offhand at 15 yards, the best group is around 1.2":

a8e3e7uz.jpg

I'll post an update after my qualifier match this Saturday!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    When Glocks are good, they're very good. When bad, there is hate. Glad you got a good one. I have bought three in the last two years. I got rid of two G17's, one Gen3 and one Gen4 due to performance issues. I now have one that shoots great. The sad part is it took three purchases to come up with one good one.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    When Glocks are good, they're very good. When bad, there is hate. Glad you got a good one. I have bought three in the last two years. I got rid of two G17's, one Gen3 and one Gen4 due to performance issues. I now one that shoots great. The sad part is it took three purchases to come up with one good one.

Too bad for you... sorry to hear it took 4 purchase to get 1 right.

Myself was 1 in 3... and I was able to swap out some gen 4 internals with gen3 parts (the OLD gen3) and made it work....

Love Glock, but these days they are hit or miss!

Congrats on the 34, Hot!!

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Ok, so as I'm sure all of you are aware, there has been much consternation about the Gen4 GLOCK pistols in 9mm. I know this is a sample size of 1 and I'm no Todd K of pistol-training.com... but I plan to put out a fair (if slightly subjective) review of my experience with this pistol over the next year or so.

The serial number prefix is "VHW" and was test fired at the factory on 6/21/13. *will insert RSA, extractor and ejector numbers here next time I check*

I have installed Warren Tactical Sevigny sights, plain black rear with a fiber optic (green) front sight. This pistol will primarily serve as my IDPA SSP & ESP pistol over the next year. I am doing my best to shoot a "full" season in order to qualify for sanctioned matches above the club level. I hope to put 2000+ rounds through it in the next year or so.

I hope to either prove or disprove to myself that GLOCK Gen4 pistols are fine pistols, and that teething problems evident in early production guns have been resolved.

As for the pistol itself, what can I say that hasn't already been said? It's a good-looking gun, and feels great in my mitts with a medium beavertail backstrap installed. I have chosen to leave the trigger completely stock, as it has smooth travel with no creep, and a crisp carrot-like break not unlike some Geissele AR triggers. I can weigh it and get the poundage now and check it periodically to see if it decreases.

My very first range trip was a success, firing 50 rounds of PPU 115 gr FMJ ammo with no malfunctions. Here are the first 5 groups, of 5 rounds each fired offhand at 15 yards, the best group is around 1.2":

a8e3e7uz.jpg

I'll post an update after my qualifier match this Saturday!

Hey I think these pics are of you gun! :D If so thanks for letting me capture a few shots again!! :thumbsup:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ***Nice gun. I have a few 34's myself and enjoy them immensely. The Gen 3's fit my hand better and I can reach the mag release a bit easier which is why I shoot them more, but my Gen 4's have all shot really good tight groups with pretty much any ammo I have used.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    At some point I would like to get a Glock 35 so I can USPSA Limited divison and make Major power factor... so I'm curious to see what you find out.

if you don't mind me asking where did you get that and did they have any Glock 19s.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    At some point I would like to get a Glock 35 so I can USPSA Limited divison and make Major power factor... so I'm curious to see what you find out.

if you don't mind me asking where did you get that and did they have any Glock 19s.

Independence Firearms on GunBroker, and they did have some OD green pistols in other models last week. 17, 22, 19, 23, 35 and 34 were all in stock last time I checked.

I got 30 spare minutes today to dial the new sights in. 50 rounds were fired in all (as quick as I could run back and forth switching targets, up and down stairs to my vise to drift the sights... so I'm sure I can get better groups... but I digress. 10-shot groups at 25 yards from a sandbag.

vy3ymadu.jpg

115 gr. Black Hills JHP EXP, before drifting sights.

e5uta4y2.jpg

115 gr. Winchester Shite Box FMJ, yeah I was stringing a little... :/

ybe5a4ur.jpg

115 gr. PPU FMJ. That's more like it.

So the front sight is tall, so I'll have to hold a little low or find a load that shoots to POI (I am shooting the PPU on Saturday). All groups were under 8" so that'll be good for -0 hits. I noticed weaker ejection with the FMJ loads, especially PPU. Some shells hit my shoulder. I am betting this will improve after the RSA breaks in a little after 300-400 rounds, at least I hope so.

I also took some time to polish the firing pin, connector and stoned the rear surface of the cruciform. It doesn't feel much different from the factory surfaces but slightly more smooth. No gritty creep at all! The trigger pull is a consistent 5.5 lbs. While I was in the slide I pulled out the extractor, which IS a MIM part. There was a spot that was rubbing against the slide so I stoned it ever so slightly. Also note the latest 30274 ejector and 0-4-2 RSA:

7edumuta.jpg

e8upyde5.jpg

So that's it for now... I'll keep prepping with my dry fire and reload drills and let you guys know how it performs in the classifier. By now it's only a had total of 100 rounds so far put through, but not a single malfunction has occurred. :thumbsup

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    **UPDATE**

Shot an IDPA Classifier match at AAFG yesterday, and ran another trouble-free 120 rounds through her.

This pistol helped me score an overall 116.66, earning me Expert classification (for now, the time limits get changed on Oct. 1).

I am VERY happy with this pistol so far. I've only had it a couple weeks and it hasn't given me one lick of trouble. I'll post up once I surpass the 500 and 1000 round marks for anyone who's interested. I have seen a lot of videos and posts about the "bump" on the trigger bar. I think I may remove it or swap this trigger bar for the old one and see if it makes a difference in lightening and smoothing out the trigger pull even further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom