Result of steel out of full choke are in.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    SPECIAL WATERFOWL HUNTING SAFETY REMINDERS

Waterfowl hunters – whether hunting from shore or from a boat – are urged to keep safety first and foremost in mind, said Keith Snyder, Pennsylvania Game Commission Hunter-Trapper Education Division chief.

"Basic firearm and hunting safety are critical," Snyder said. "Treat every firearm as if it is loaded and make sure that the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction. Never place your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire. Be aware of any companions' locations at all times and maintain a safe zone-of-fire. Waterfowl action can be exciting, but never swing your barrel toward another hunter.

"Make sure firearms are unloaded prior to reaching your hunting location and immediately after you are done hunting. Also, if you are using a boat, remember state law requires all firearms be unloaded in any boat propelled by motor or sail, and should be cased with actions open."

Snyder also noted that, in Pennsylvania, all those using a boat are required to have a properly-fitted personal flotation device (PFD) readily accessible. For more information on boating laws and regulations, as well as safety tips, please visit the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission's website (www.fish.state.pa.us). Better yet, take an approved boater's safety course.

Additionally, according to the U.S. Coast Guard, every year several hunters die from drowning and hypothermia.

"When you have a crew of hunters, with decoys and equipment, and dogs, a boat can easily become unbalanced, especially if the wind comes up," Snyder said, "Not only is it unsafe to overload a boat, exceeding the limits posted on the capacity plate is also illegal.

"Sudden immersion into cold water is one of the leading causes of boating fatalities in the Commonwealth. It places a severe strain on bodily systems that can lead to hypothermia or, worse, cardiac arrest. Survivors of cold-water accidents have reported their breath driven from them on contact with the water."

Anyone falling into cold water should immediately ensure that their and any companions' PFDs are intact, and work to find a way to exit the water or right the watercraft. Cover your mouth and nose – if possible – to prevent inhaling water.

If you can't get out of the water immediately and the shore is too far, raise your knees and wrap your arms across your chest to help reduce heat loss through the body's core. Don't leave your watercraft and attempt to swim to shore. It's probably further than you think. Experts recommend you stay with your boat until help arrives. If possible, try to climb back into your boat or on top of it.

"Most important," Snyder suggests, "get into the routine of making the life jacket part of your hunting equipment, and wear it."

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1bH1K)

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    2012-13 MIGRATORY GAME BIRD HUNTING HOURS Be sure to add the minutes from the Meridian Map to begin/end times.
    For most of the September Canada goose season (excluding the 2 youth waterfowl days, Sept. 15 and Sept. 22) and the entire snow goose
    conservation season, hunting hours are from one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. For all other Canada goose seasons, the youth
    waterfowl days, the snow goose regular season, and all other migratory game bird seasons (except for the first split of the mourning dove season),
    hunting hours are one half hour before sunrise to sunset. The accompanying table lists, by date, one half hour before sunrise and sunset times. To
    determine actual hunting hours for the September Canada goose season, add 30 minutes to the sunset times, except for Sept. 15 and Sept. 22 when
    the closing time is sunset. These adjustments are made in addition to those based on the meridian map.
    Exceptions:
    Blinds at Middle Creek and Pymatuning will not be operational during the September season. During the regular season, shooting
    days at Middle Creek are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Shooting hours are one-half hour before sunrise to 1:30 p.m. Geese
    only: Nov. 13; and Jan. 17, 19, 22, 24, and 26. Geese and ducks: Nov. 15, 17 (youth-only day), 20, 22, and 24; Dec. 13, 15, 18, 20, 22,
    27, and 29; and Jan. 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, and 15. Shooting days at Pymatuning are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, one-half
    hour before sunrise to 12:30 p.m. Ducks: Oct. 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24 (youth-only day), 26, 27, 29, and 31; Nov. 2, 3, 5,
    7, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, and 30; and Dec. 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, and 14. Geese: Oct. 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20,
    22, 24, 26, 27, 29, and 31; Nov. 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, and 24 (youth-only day); Dec. 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21,
    22, 24, 26, 28, 29, and 31; and Jan. 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, and 18.
    Special youth-only waterfowl hunting days will be held at the controlled goose hunting areas at both Middle Creek (Nov. 17) and
    Pymatuning (Nov. 24) wildlife management areas. (Note: The youth-only restriction applies to the controlled goose hunting areas
    only; public hunting areas at Middle Creek and Pymatuning, and the Controlled Duck Hunting Areas at Pymatuning, remain open to
    everyone, including adults, on these dates.) Youth must hold a junior license and be accompanied by an adult, who may participate in
    the hunt by calling only. A special drawing of applications submitted by junior license holders will be held immediately before the
    regular drawing for goose blinds. Interested youth should use the same application on page 28 of the 2012-13 Pennsylvania Hunting &
    Trapping Digest. Only one application will be accepted per junior hunter.
    This publication is only a guide. For official law see Pennsylvania Game and Wildlife Code and Code of Federal Regulations, Title 50 Part 20.
    For additional information on federal migratory bird hunting regulations, refer to the waterfowl page at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
    Band Reporting: online at www.reportband.gov, or call TOLL-FREE, 1-800-327-2263.
    Aug. 26 - Sept. 1 5:59am - 7:31pm Oct. 28 - Nov. 3 7:02am - 5:55pm Dec. 30 - Jan. 5 6:53am - 4:39pm Mar. 3 – 9 6:01am - 5:55pm
    Sept. 2 - 8 6:05am - 7:30pm Nov. 4 – 10 6:10am - 4:48pm Jan. 6 – 12 6:52am - 4:51pm Mar. 10 – 16 6:50am - 7:02pm
    Sept. 9 - 15 6:12am - 7:09pm Nov. 11 - 17 6:18am - 4:42pm Jan. 13 – 19 6:51am - 4:58pm Mar. 17 – 23 6:39am - 7:10pm
    Sept. 16 - 22 6:19am - 6:57pm Nov. 18 - 24 6:26am - 4:38pm Jan. 20 – 26 6:48am - 5:06pm Mar. 24 – 30 6:27am - 7:17pm
    Sept. 23 - 29 6:25am - 6:45pm Nov. 25 - Dec. 1 6:34am - 4:36pm Jan. 27 - Feb. 2 6:43am - 5:14pm Mar. 31 - Apr. 6 6:16am - 7:24pm
    Sept. 30 – Oct. 6 6:32am - 6:34pm Dec. 2 - 8 6:40am - 4:35pm Feb. 3 – 9 6:37am - 5:23pm Apr. 7 - 13 6:05am - 7:31pm
    Oct. 7 - 13 6:39am- 6:23pm Dec. 9 - 15 6:45am - 4:35pm Feb. 10 – 16 6:29am - 5:31pm Apr. 14 – 20 5:54am - 7:38pm
    Oct. 14- 20 6:47am - 6:13pm Dec. 16 - 22 6:49am - 4:37pm Feb. 17 – 23 6:21am - 5:39pm Apr. 21 – 27 5:44am - 7:45pm
    Oct. 21 - 27 6:54am - 6:04pm Dec. 23 – 29 6:52am - 4:40pm Feb. 24 - Mar. 2 6:11am - 5:47pm

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    SPECIAL WATERFOWL HUNTING SAFETY REMINDERS

Waterfowl hunters – whether hunting from shore or from a boat – are urged to keep safety first and foremost in mind, said Keith Snyder, Pennsylvania Game Commission Hunter-Trapper Education Division chief.

"Basic firearm and hunting safety are critical," Snyder said. "Treat every firearm as if it is loaded and make sure that the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction. Never place your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire. Be aware of any companions' locations at all times and maintain a safe zone-of-fire. Waterfowl action can be exciting, but never swing your barrel toward another hunter.

"Make sure firearms are unloaded prior to reaching your hunting location and immediately after you are done hunting. Also, if you are using a boat, remember state law requires all firearms be unloaded in any boat propelled by motor or sail, and should be cased with actions open."

Snyder also noted that, in Pennsylvania, all those using a boat are required to have a properly-fitted personal flotation device (PFD) readily accessible. For more information on boating laws and regulations, as well as safety tips, please visit the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission's website (www.fish.state.pa.us). Better yet, take an approved boater's safety course.

Additionally, according to the U.S. Coast Guard, every year several hunters die from drowning and hypothermia.

"When you have a crew of hunters, with decoys and equipment, and dogs, a boat can easily become unbalanced, especially if the wind comes up," Snyder said, "Not only is it unsafe to overload a boat, exceeding the limits posted on the capacity plate is also illegal.

"Sudden immersion into cold water is one of the leading causes of boating fatalities in the Commonwealth. It places a severe strain on bodily systems that can lead to hypothermia or, worse, cardiac arrest. Survivors of cold-water accidents have reported their breath driven from them on contact with the water."

Anyone falling into cold water should immediately ensure that their and any companions' PFDs are intact, and work to find a way to exit the water or right the watercraft. Cover your mouth and nose – if possible – to prevent inhaling water.

If you can't get out of the water immediately and the shore is too far, raise your knees and wrap your arms across your chest to help reduce heat loss through the body's core. Don't leave your watercraft and attempt to swim to shore. It's probably further than you think. Experts recommend you stay with your boat until help arrives. If possible, try to climb back into your boat or on top of it.

"Most important," Snyder suggests, "get into the routine of making the life jacket part of your hunting equipment, and wear it."

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1bH1K)
    This same thing is in the book this year. I think this is only for certain months. Sometime after October or November.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I'm not a hunter, but gun safety & boat/water safety should absolutely be applied every hour of every day.
    I agree with that. I think it is law that you must have a safety vest aboard for every passenger in Pa regardless but in the months of October until the end of season you actually have to have one strapped on constantly.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I agree with that. I think it is law that you must have a safety vest aboard for every passenger in Pa regardless but in the months of October until the end of season you actually have to have one strapped on constantly.

You say you agree, but nothing you've posted in this thread gives me much reason to believe that gun safety would be high up on your list of priorities - let alone water safety, ethics, or hunting regulations.

As I said I'm not a hunter, and don't have much interest in it, but as a serious clay shooter, I do have a keen interest in gun safety. But, seriously, I want you to be safe - as well as anyone standing any where near you while you have a gun in your hands.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    My past experience is that people that do something that cause the game warden to show up always get watched a little harder than the hunter that follows the rules. In my 30 plus years of hunting I was only checked once. One time I was hunting pheasants and the PA Game cops came to the field where all the cars were parked and said hello to my group and searched another party that was hunting in the adjoining field. So be on your best behavior you’re probably going to be on film this season.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    My past experience is that people that do something that cause the game warden to show up always get watched a little harder than the hunter that follows the rules. In my 30 plus years of hunting I was only checked once. One time I was hunting pheasants and the PA Game cops came to the field where all the cars were parked and said hello to my group and searched another party that was hunting in the adjoining field. So be on your best behavior you’re probably going to be on film this season.

on back river we have a bunch of locals who the game wardens all know by first name. it's not because they send Christmas card it's cause of there total disregard for game laws and public safety. One guy we will call him "rob" has been had so many tickets its a running joke. He is the kinda of guy when he draws a blind site ranges it at 1 yard past the legal limit. When the people in the shore home call the dnr its alway the same story and drama. Just cause you can do something does not mean you should.

If you hunt with "ROB" or any of his buddies you will get the stink eye every weekend. The dnr guys wave as they pass my blind sites no hassle from the man cause we play buy the rules and stay clean, the way you should !

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    We have had a ton of poachers in the area over the last 5 yrs. They watch our region like hawks.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    You say you agree, but nothing you've posted in this thread gives me much reason to believe that gun safety would be high up on your list of priorities - let alone water safety, ethics, or hunting regulations.

As I said I'm not a hunter, and don't have much interest in it, but as a serious clay shooter, I do have a keen interest in gun safety. But, seriously, I want you to be safe - as well as anyone standing any where near you while you have a gun in your hands.

Agreed. I find myself going to the range alone and hoping no one else will be there. Some of the actions of other shooters has made me pack up and go home.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Are these the same guys who got fined $800 for doing something stupid? If so I'm sure their comments and advise would be taken with a grain of salt on here. The same way you should take their advice.

You need to run away and find someone else to hunt with. As I reread some of your comments I really feel sorry for you and wish you lived closer. YOU NEED A SPORTSMAN AS A MENTOR IN YOUR LIFE. Your hunting experiences would be so much richer, not to mention PA would be a much safer place.

WINNER!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I can't believe that I didn't post on this forum in a year or so and the first time I do, it turns into some of the worst horseshite I've yet to see. The reason it is so bad is because it involves poor sportsmanship, poor hunter safety, and criminal violation of game laws. OP, I tried to give you a fair shake, but after reading all you've written since yesterday I have to conclude that you are not someone I would ever associate with. I don't know how old you are, but you need to shut up, listen up, and start looking to some other people as examples in your sporting life. This has been sad to read.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I can't believe that I didn't post on this forum in a year or so and the first time I do, it turns into some of the worst horseshite I've yet to see. The reason it is so bad is because it involves poor sportsmanship, poor hunter safety, and criminal violation of game laws. OP, I tried to give you a fair shake, but after reading all you've written since yesterday I have to conclude that you are not someone I would ever associate with. I don't know how old you are, but you need to shut up, listen up, and start looking to some other people as examples in your sporting life. This has been sad to read.
    Right. You let me know what is so illegal about the way I hunt. I will be waiting a long time. Poor sportsmanship. Please. I actually come home with game 90% of the time and the kills are 100% legit. Get over it.:sad20:

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    We have had a ton of poachers in the area over the last 5 yrs. They watch our region like hawks.

Poachers. ie: illegal killing of wild plants and animals. Like shooting after sunset, shooting over a roadway, shooting too close to an occupied dwelling. Those kind of poachers? Yeah, it does sound like there's at least a few in your area. LOL

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Poachers. ie: illegal killing of wild plants and animals. Like shooting after sunset, shooting over a roadway, shooting too close to an occupied dwelling. Those kind of poachers? Yeah, it does sound like there's at least a few in your area. LOL
    You have no idea how many there are.:sad20:

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    How old are you man? Curious? You living in 1950 yet? We actually pick all of our shotgun hulls up thanks for asking. Grab your range finder. We can meet in Somerset Pa and I will take to the pond.

I'm not quite as old as Moses. I don't own a range finder and don't need one because I give people in houses some breathing room, like at least 300 yards.
    Being a good neighbor and a courteous hunter pays off in spades. Don't need to see your little pond. Don't fall in.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I have proved everyone of you ney sayers of using steel with a full choke wrong. Let's get back to the point of this thread. My gun works perfectly fine after doing so. Goes to show that barrels being destroyed with a full/steel combo are all old wives tales and utter ********.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    My buddy sent me a text. He wants to know if you guys let your turkeys fly away before shooting at them. He said according to you guys that is being a good sportsman. He also said it is twice as hard to sneak on geese then to let them fly in your face out of a blind.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom