• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wequay

May 16, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    As anyone picked up a rifle made by Windham Weaponry? My local shop has one in stock for a decent price. Wanted to get some feedback on operation at the range.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    GrampasGunReviews.Com

Since Windham Weaponry is a brand new manufacturer that has risen from the ashes of what was the manufacturing facility of Bushmaster Firearms, it seems only logical to begin by telling this story that fortunately has a happy ending.
    In the beginning, Bushmaster Firearms International made their name as a well known maker of quality AR-15 type rifles owned by Richard Dyke. In 2006 he sold the company to Cerberus Capital Management, which in turn owned Freedom Group, which became Bushmaster's parent company that also owned other firearms manufacturer's including Remington and Marlin. Bushmaster production continued in Windham, Maine until March of 2011 when it was moved to Ilion, New York, to consolidate operations with other Freedom Group manufacturing. The facility in Windham was closed and the employees were laid off. Soon afterward Richard Dyke stepped back into the picture. He still owned the facility as he had been leasing it to Freedom Group since selling Bushmaster in 2006. He also had a 5 year non-compete agreement that was expiring soon. He must have felt as I do, that no one can make these rifles better than the folks in Windham, Maine so he decided to put another company together and put the workers back in business making these fine rifles. The new company was named Windham Weaponry and commenced manufacturing operations over the summer of 2011.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    What I heard was they are good firearms. Only issue some people have is that the castle nut isn't staked (if you want them to they will do it for you.), and some other people don't like the 1:7 twist. Otherwise, it seems like everything about their rifles are nice.

I've only handled them though, never shot one.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    GrampasGunReviews.Com

Since Windham Weaponry is a brand new manufacturer that has risen from the ashes of what was the manufacturing facility of Bushmaster Firearms, it seems only logical to begin by telling this story that fortunately has a happy ending.
    In the beginning, Bushmaster Firearms International made their name as a well known maker of quality AR-15 type rifles owned by Richard Dyke. In 2006 he sold the company to Cerberus Capital Management, which in turn owned Freedom Group, which became Bushmaster's parent company that also owned other firearms manufacturer's including Remington and Marlin. Bushmaster production continued in Windham, Maine until March of 2011 when it was moved to Ilion, New York, to consolidate operations with other Freedom Group manufacturing. The facility in Windham was closed and the employees were laid off. Soon afterward Richard Dyke stepped back into the picture. He still owned the facility as he had been leasing it to Freedom Group since selling Bushmaster in 2006. He also had a 5 year non-compete agreement that was expiring soon. He must have felt as I do, that no one can make these rifles better than the folks in Windham, Maine so he decided to put another company together and put the workers back in business making these fine rifles. The new company was named Windham Weaponry and commenced manufacturing operations over the summer of 2011.

God Bless him for getting back into it at 77 years of age and hiring all the old employees back. I'm sure he didn't need the money.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I bought an h bar a couple of months back, my first AR only had it to range once ran a couple of hundred rds of bass & steel with no problems. Iron sights and it was very accurate.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I fondled a few of them at Gun Connection. They seem like a well made gun.

rivertamer

Apr 7, 2012
    MARYLAND
    I have a src..... it really is a great gun.... well made.... great fit.... and it has not missed a beat.... probably put 1000 rounds thru her without a glitch.

IMAG0504-1.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    My cousin has one (he lives in Windham ME). I got to handle it when I saw him a couple months ago and the finish seemed perfect and he gave it rave reviews.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Interestingly, Bushmaster always seem to get luke warm reviews on here but the Windam's seem to be getting a thumbs up.

Does anyone know if they are sourcing different OEM components this time around?

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I like my HB (but don't have much to compare to as its my first AR).
    (Sorry about the pic - got it at Easter (used in MDS classifieds) and need to take some more pics)
    Dime 25 yards
    Quarter 50 yards
    Targets are from day one sighting it in.

Attachments

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      74 KB · Views: 312
    • e2.jpg
      e2.jpg
      6.4 KB · Views: 237
    • f2.jpg
      f2.jpg
      12.2 KB · Views: 205

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Interestingly, Bushmaster always seem to get luke warm reviews on here but the Windam's seem to be getting a thumbs up.

Does anyone know if they are sourcing different OEM components this time around?

Bushmasters tend to get reviews like that here compared to higher-end stuff. Bushmaster is the average Joe's AR (the Budweiser of ARs) with reasonable compromises to keep cost down. You can do a whole lot worse.

The Windham stuff looks about the same. I'm guessing the guns get a bit more personal attention now at the factory with regards to fit and function, maybe evidenced by being able to special order call-outs like a staked castle nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom