• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have made my choice on what to buy for day 1 of goose this fall!! Federal Black Cloud in 3" BB 1 1/4 oz out of a Carlson's full choke. Thanks for all the input guys. MPDC, I tried like Hell to locate Kent fasteel locally and came up empty. I did not want to order from Cabella's at this time but maybe give it a shot in the future. Thanks again!!

Pattern before you go. While all shotgun/ammo combos are different, I'd bet a full choke is going to be too tight. With BB, I'd suggest modified or even improved- Remember, steel doesn't conform to the barrel like lead will, so with larger steel shot and a tight choke, you could damage you gun.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Pattern before you go. While all shotgun/ammo combos are different, I'd bet a full choke is going to be too tight. With BB, I'd suggest modified or even improved- Remember, steel doesn't conform to the barrel like lead will, so with larger steel shot and a tight choke, you could damage you gun.

sound advice sir! I second that!!

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Fulls are all myself and my hunting partners use on ducks and geese. We do good but the reason for this thread is that it seems the steel shot I am using in my 3" 870 take about 5-6 rounds after a bird is grounded to finish the job. I am just looking for an ammo that is a sure kill with 2-3 rounds tops. My buddy keeps telling me t shot is the shit. I will pay 20 bucks-30 bucks for stuff that works. But that is the kicker. Stuff that actually kills!!

I use Hevi-Shot. I shoot over decoys. I mostly use IC choke. I don't take stupid shots. I shoot #2s and 80% of my birds are one shot kills. The only time I shoot twice is if I miss one with the first shot. Even "back in the day" when we could shoot lead, I used #2s (Winchester XX 2 3/4") and modified choke in a Model 12 and had similar results. If I had to shoot 5-6 rounds to kill a goose I would use #7 on myself!

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I just shot the gun tonight the zombie target 12"x18" that you can get at Wal Mart. Guess what the results were with Black Cloud between a skeet and full choke? 3 more holes from the skeet choke. 43 to 46 in favor of the skeet choke at 40 yards. This shoud be on myth busters. I will more than likely use the full that I did last year. My buddy thinks the neh sayers on here are nuts against using full and steel combo. He says he has shot slugs in a full choke plenty of times. If a barrel can handle that then they can handle steel bbb shot. I can verify, he used full choke last year with t shot and dropped birds like mad.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom