• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Is this a strictly IDPA holster or do you plan on carrying as well? I ask because thumb break holsters aren't very popular unless you need that retention (cop, concealed carry, ect). I carry my 229 in a thumb break daily, but I use a kydex for IDPA.

For a brown, belt holster, with an open top, I found this without too much looking.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=519377

i'd be using it 24/7 when im of legal age to OC and perhaps if i get a CCW one day.

i like the one i posted because of the tan leather and i definatley want somthing padded or lined on the inside so my gun isn't plagued with holster wear

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    i'd be using it 24/7 when im of legal age to OC and perhaps if i get a CCW one day.

i like the one i posted because of the tan leather and i definatley want somthing padded or lined on the inside so my gun isn't plagued with holster wear

Holster wear does not affect accuracy or the gun's function. If you carry, it is a fact of life.

Wizzerd OZ

May 9, 2008
    FYI -

The guys down at Sanner's Lake in Great Mills are VERY patient with new IDPA shooters, and it is a very relaxed environment. They have lots of time on match days, and they have welcomed everyone I have seen show up down there. They always try to help, and usually a few guys will take the new shooters under their wing for the day and explain everything as it happens.

A great place to consider when getting started in IDPA.

OZ

FYI -

The guys down at Sanner's Lake in Great Mills are VERY patient with new IDPA shooters, and it is a very relaxed environment. They have lots of time on match days, and they have welcomed everyone I have seen show up down there. They always try to help, and usually a few guys will take the new shooters under their wing for the day and explain everything as it happens.

A great place to consider when getting started in IDPA.

OZ

Whatsa matter Oz were we mean to you? :D

Last edited:

abacus

Mar 16, 2008
    With respect to the speed at which the matches at our 3 Maryland IDPA clubs run, Sanner Lake (as Oz reports) and Thurmont move at a more leisurely pace than the Saturday matches at Anne Arundel. This is because Sanners Lake and Thurmont have fewer time constraints. Anne Arundel has only a 3 hour window (10-1) to shoot on Saturdays. For the upcoming 7 26 08 match, the Anne Arundel squad list has 28 shooters with 7 on the wait list. The Friday (first Friday of the month) Anne Arundel matches move at a more leisurely pace as more time is available and there generally are fewer shooters. If you want to shoot a Saturday IDPA match at Anne Arundel and have not shot IDPA before, it is a good idea to come out and observe a match before you come shoot. If you learn the procedure in advance, it will make the first match experience more comfortable. Remember, as Canuck said, we all were new once.

R

RavensD

Any holster recommendations for my Glock 21 SF w/picatinny rail?

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    gee i really need to get out more often, i have belonged to AAF&G for over 5 years and i still haven't tired IDPA???
    whens the next session for beginners.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Holsters for IDPA

Blackhawk (the serpa, lock not required)

Recently I switched from my old faithful 92FS to a S&W M&P. I bought a Serpa for it and love it. I shot at TSCS in Thurmont, and was told that the Serpa is fine with them, that if I tried to use it at a State Match, it was an illegal holster.

If you are wearing a Serpa, their is a small bit of daylight coming between the beltslot and the holster, due to the need for material that the screws hold the holster to the belt slot.

So does anyone have more info on the Serpa and using it at a Higher level match?

The IDPA regs state that holsters

F. Can have no offset backpieces and/or belt slots. The holster
    may not offset away from the belt and/or body. No gap is
    permitted in the following areas:
    1. From the body to the inside of the belt.
    2. From the outside of the belt to the inside of the
    backpiece and/or backside of the holster.
    3. From the outside of the backpiece to the inside of
    the holster.
    If you look through the belt slot area of the holster with it on
    the belt/body, you should not be able to see any daylight. If
    you can see through this belt tunnel area, the holster is not
    approved.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I've heard of people heating up the holster until they were able to reform the belt tunnel slightly and make it fit tighter. Never done it, but I may need to for my new M&P holster (comp-tac) because I can see light through there looking at it in the mirror. That or I'll buy a thicker belt.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    With the Serpa, it is not the belt tunnel. The whole belt tunnel issue I have seen is talking about the Uncle Mike's holsters.

The Serpa has a small gap between the Belt slot attachment and the holster itself. The Slot attachment can be removed and a paddle installed. The problem as I see it is the Attachment screws need some material to screw into. The threading is in a three small humps on the holster. These humps give the holster about a 1/8 inch gap away from the attachment.

Ignore the arrows on the pic, but you can see the gap between the paddle and the holster.

Attachments

• Serpa.JPG
      Serpa.JPG
      46.8 KB · Views: 149

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    After some searching, I found the IDPA Equipment survey from the 2007 IDPA Championship. There were at least 7 CQC holsters which all have the same problem. So I am still unsure if the Serpa was banned later.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Just signed up for match announcements. I'll spectate a few, then sign up once a beginners session rolls around. Looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom