• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    First person to do a transfer at MSP Barracks, please convey your experience.
    I was at an MSP barracks today with an issue with a previous paper transfer and the 2 Troopers said that they did not know what the exact process was.
    They "thought" that you would fill everything out and bring it in to have them verify the serial numbers, but admitted they were waiting for further info and training.
    There was a flyer taped to the outside of the window for the Transferee to sign in for an account.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    They "thought" that you would fill everything out and bring it in to have them verify the serial numbers, but admitted they were waiting for further info and training.
    There was a flyer taped to the outside of the window for the Transferee to sign in for an account.

Thought they were already trained, WOW.

Was there a computer available for creating an account or is that required prior to visiting them?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thought they were already trained, WOW.

Was there a computer available for creating an account or is that required prior to visiting them?

I specifically asked if they were going to bring a laptop to the lobby and the 2 guys said, they did not have one and that is when he said, we really don't know and are awaiting training.

Did other troopers get trained and know what to do? I don't know the answer to that either.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    What does "Submitted To Application Pool" mean? I have an application # and PIN, just nothing else...

It means your application is in the system waiting for your dealer to grab the transaction on his side of the system and attach a gun (the one you are buying) to it.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    I specifically asked if they were going to bring a laptop to the lobby and the 2 guys said, they did not have one and that is when he said, we really don't know and are awaiting training.

Did other troopers get trained and know what to do? I don't know the answer to that either.

With 1500 troopers statewide, you are likely to find a few who don't know how to use it yet. But those same troopers really had less of a clue how to do the complicated paper forms. This will get easier over time. Let me clarify that I hate the HQL and I hate all the hoops we have to jump through to buy a gun. And I definitely hate registering my firearms. But at least we will have a system that is less complicated, saves thousands of man hours and does not lose applications. Someone mentioned that this system does nothing to help citizens who are buying guns. When the Licensing Division was spending $50,000 a month in overtime to try to keep up with 600 faxed paper applications a day, I was cringing at the amount of tax payer money being spent. This will help alleviate confusion with people wondering where their application is. This will also save money and ultimately keep troopers on the street instead of behind a desk at Pikesville. This is about more than just what it does for us as individuals. It is about how it helps our state. I don't see the 77r going away anytime soon. So I will welcome a faster system, using modern technology. The troopers have many jobs and many things to learn and keep up with. Most of the people transferring firearms have known the system better than the troopers at barracks anyway. But they will have an easier time using this system. Now, if we can just repeal the HQL or win a lawsuit, we can really save time and money and put even more troopers back to work fighting real criminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Does anyone know how or where to get a reprint of a designated collector letter? I swear that I put mine in my gun safe somewhere but tore the whole thing apart last night and couldn't find it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Good stuff Jack.
    I am curious how much the HQL is costing tax payers. I believe it was DCW that mentioned Utah went to black and white CCW licenses and saved about $7K yearly on yellow ink alone. My MD HQL is in technicolor for some reason, I guess we have the $$.

I am guessing the new system will eventually work, after we pay for software and personnel training. I am being sarcastic, apologies.

Ha ha, my local gun store made a B&W copy of it, once!

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Does anyone know how or where to get a reprint of a designated collector letter? I swear that I put mine in my gun safe somewhere but tore the whole thing apart last night and couldn't find it.

I don't have her direct email right here, but the number below should get you started. I couldn't find mine before Thanksgiving and had to call to get a new one. It took about 2 weeks to get it.
    Licensing Division
    Mon - Fri
    8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    410-653-4500
    msp.lic_command@maryland.gov

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If MSP continues to check your DC status as part of the background check, I don't see the reason but as you say different strokes.

CYA always a good idea I guess.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I would have thought that too, but mine wanted one for their file for whatever reason. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

In all my transactions with FFl's that know me and don't know me, not one has ever asked for that letter. I got DC status in 2003. That is strange.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If MSP continues to check your DC status as part of the background check, I don't see the reason but as you say different strokes.

CYA always a good idea I guess.

Exactly what I told them. I check the box, MSP has it in their system and looks it over. But they've got what I want to buy so no need to stir the pot, and they used their copy machine so no expense to me all the way around.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom