Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:30 PM #151
Ranchero50's Avatar
Ranchero50 Ranchero50 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 3,560
Ranchero50 Ranchero50 is offline
Senior Member
Ranchero50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 3,560
Many years ago as a youngster I walked the railroad track behind my house that cut through a bunch of small rolling hills. Once I got to the road crossing I walked in the field next to the tracks on the way home and while in a valley heard a zing, bang but couldn't tell where it came from. As I walked up the hill heard thunk, zing, bang, still sounded off to the right. A little higher and thunk, zing, bang with grass shooting up ahead of me. About face, down the hill and back on the tracks. Two guys were shooting a deer rifle at the top of the hill towards the road. No target, no groundhog etc. Just shooting from hill top to hill top, about 100 yards apart.

While in the Navy, the quarterdeck watch on the ship across the pier had a ND in the middle the night. Lots of folks got woke up over that.
__________________
Sanity in an insane world
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:10 PM #152
Sling Blade Sling Blade is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 22,722
Sling Blade Sling Blade is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 22,722
Word to the wise.

Don't play show n' tell after ya been drinkin'. That is all.
Sling Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:40 PM #153
sundazes's Avatar
sundazes sundazes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arkham
Posts: 5,510
sundazes sundazes is offline
Senior Member
sundazes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arkham
Posts: 5,510
I got hit in leg twice by a ricochet in one visit to an indoor range. I didn't realize what the first one was. Didn't hurt, just felt something. A little bit later, m something hit my leg and stung. So I cleared my firearm and put it down. I started looking down in front of me and found the 2 slugs. I put them in my pocket and packed up. I told the guy at the desk what happened and showed him the slugs. He shrugged and said we got a bad spot in the backstop, sorry. We know about it and are waiting on a part. I was dumbfounded. I will not name the range. It has been repaired and the guy no longer works there. This was about 5 years ago.
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:22 PM #154
JohnnyE's Avatar
JohnnyE JohnnyE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MoCo
Posts: 1,488
JohnnyE JohnnyE is offline
Senior Member
JohnnyE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MoCo
Posts: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundazes View Post
I got hit in leg twice by a ricochet in one visit to an indoor range. I didn't realize what the first one was. Didn't hurt, just felt something. A little bit later, m something hit my leg and stung. So I cleared my firearm and put it down. I started looking down in front of me and found the 2 slugs. I put them in my pocket and packed up. I told the guy at the desk what happened and showed him the slugs. He shrugged and said we got a bad spot in the backstop, sorry. We know about it and are waiting on a part. I was dumbfounded. I will not name the range. It has been repaired and the guy no longer works there. This was about 5 years ago.
Reminded me of a post I made in May 2015 in the thread "Maryland Small Arms Range Gripe":
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
I am not a fan of the way they operate the range from a safety perspective. I was hit by a substantial bullet fragment (about 20 gr.) that came back from the fellows shooting from the lane immediately to my left. It broke the skin and stuck in my right bicep region. It was hot as hell and I knocked it out to the floor. I picked it up and went to report the incident to the front desk, expecting that they would inspect the range to determine if anything was amiss with the baffles. Nope. Business as usual. No cease fire, just carry on. I didn't give a s__t about a refund for range time or anything. The fact that they did NOTHING to look for a safety defect told me all I need to know, and I have not been back since. I let everyone know what happened, and I recommend they stay away as well. The fact that they did nothing to ensure the safety of shooters after a ricochet was reported is a real people problem.
That happened at their old facility, but the fact they did nothing about it not a backstop problem, it's a people problem, and that came with them to the new facility. I still haven't been back.
JohnnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 09:16 PM #155
sundazes's Avatar
sundazes sundazes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arkham
Posts: 5,510
sundazes sundazes is offline
Senior Member
sundazes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arkham
Posts: 5,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
Reminded me of a post I made in May 2015 in the thread "Maryland Small Arms Range Gripe":

That happened at their old facility, but the fact they did nothing about it not a backstop problem, it's a people problem, and that came with them to the new facility. I still haven't been back.
Yea I was pissed that the guy behind the counter had a I don't GAF about it attitude.
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:56 PM #156
BenL's Avatar
BenL BenL is offline
John Galt Speaking.
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pelham, New Hampshire, Thank God
Posts: 9,293
BenL BenL is offline
John Galt Speaking.
BenL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pelham, New Hampshire, Thank God
Posts: 9,293
This thread reminds of the King of the Hill episode with the gun club safety briefing:

"Rule number 4: No matter how excited you are, *do not* run down range waving your target around. That is how I lost this eye (points to eye patch)... [pause]...and later, this thumb (holds up stump.)"
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

..........................................-Hanlon's Razor

"No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

..........................................-16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:39 PM #157
Streetgang's Avatar
Streetgang Streetgang is offline
OP4
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St Mary's
Posts: 9,100
Streetgang Streetgang is offline
OP4
Streetgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St Mary's
Posts: 9,100
During a training evolution when I was in the Navy, we were shooting steel poppers. The guy next to me got hit in the arm with shrapnel from a round or four I just shot at the steel. The shrapnel wasn't very big but it hit him in the right forearm in just the wrong spot causing permanent nerve damage and putting him out of the Navy sadly. I often wonder how he is.
__________________
NRA CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, PPITH, PPOTH, RTBAV and MD HQL and W&C instructor.
Retired Navy SAMI, SWCC CPO.
Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 12:39 AM #158
judah7 judah7 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 649
judah7 judah7 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 649
A former friend of mine went to the range with me, so I show him how to operate the pistol unloaded, once I was done explaining I pop the mag in and chamber the round and face the gun down range. He goes to pick up the pistol, point's down range then turns around with the gun pointed at a shooter next door to our booth with his finger on the trigger and ask is there a safety. I was beyond scared for the person in the next booth. This is the last time I personally wanted to teach somebody who is super green about firearm safety. I figured it would be common sense that you don't point loaded firearms at people who aren't a threat, let alone have your finger on the trigger.
judah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 09:13 AM #159
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15,078
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by judah7 View Post
A former friend of mine went to the range with me, so I show him how to operate the pistol unloaded, once I was done explaining I pop the mag in and chamber the round and face the gun down range. He goes to pick up the pistol, point's down range then turns around with the gun pointed at a shooter next door to our booth with his finger on the trigger and ask is there a safety. I was beyond scared for the person in the next booth. This is the last time I personally wanted to teach somebody who is super green about firearm safety. I figured it would be common sense that you don't point loaded firearms at people who aren't a threat, let alone have your finger on the trigger.
Not going after you, but this is why it always scares me when people, who are not trained in instructing, try to teach someone else.

Not just firearms, but especially with them.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:09 PM #160
judah7 judah7 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 649
judah7 judah7 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Not going after you, but this is why it always scares me when people, who are not trained in instructing, try to teach someone else.

Not just firearms, but especially with them.
No offence taking here, I haven't called myself training people since.


   
judah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2017, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service