• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    i have someone close to me who's legally blind who i've been trying to get to go shooting with me for several years. he even has his own guns, but has never fired any of them :sad20:

what should i do to get him to go shooting?

he's not totally blind and still gets around and generally takes care of himself. just can't work or drive anymore. he keeps busy playing with old cars. he can feel when the body work is smooth or hear what's wrong with the drive train, etc. he like old guns but just won't go shooting with me :(

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I dont see the problem, I would even bring along a deaf guy and they could take turns putting up eachothers targets and coaching and such.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I dont see the problem, I would even bring along a deaf guy and they could take turns putting up eachothers targets and coaching and such.

i would like to see a deaf person and a blind person trying to communicate. :D

you know I just thought of something. You know how hard it is to hear at an active shooting range? If you're not used to ear plugs it can be very hard to talk to someone. A blind person is going to have even more trouble since they rely so much on their hearing to get by.

extski

Aug 6, 2009
    Pasadena
    you know I just thought of something. You know how hard it is to hear at an active shooting range? If you're not used to ear plugs it can be very hard to talk to someone. A blind person is going to have even more trouble since they rely so much on their hearing to get by.

When I searched real quick the other night trying to find a local shooting club for the blind, most of the stuff I came up with was from other countries, etc. Some people were using an extremely bright light which the optics would set off a tone when the optics was filled with the bright light the most. One guy which was legally blind here in the US was developing his own optic which essentially did the same thing, but did not require the use of a bright light and just used a contrasting white/black target; and the optic set off a different tone between the two contrasting colors. One club in the US had put a meet together just for the blind and used a laser sight, and then they had spotters which would tell the blind shooter to move x inches up, down, left, right, etc. before firing. Another guy started shooting by turning on an old electronic ringing Christmas bell and trying to shoot it. Which emphasizes your comment about how much blind people end up depending on their hearing more, because they mentioned this same guy shooting the bell also hunts and how he heard turkeys coming 5 minutes before the two guys he was with which were not blind could even hear them (http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm07/bm0702/bm070209.htm)

Anyway, your comment made me wonder if the following would work and kind of use the mix of what I read.

What if you got a pair of the electronic hearing protection, so that way it would enhance the low audio and block the loudness of the shots. Put a laser sight on the firearm, and you can use a spotting scope (or own eyes, depending on distance) so you can see where the blind shooter is targeting his firearm by looking for the laser. Then you could find something which will set off a constant audible tone. The closer you see them get closer to the target, you can turn the volume up of the tone for them, which he/she I'm guessing will be able to pick up the tone by using the electronic hearing protection. You would probably want to put the electronic hearing protection on yourself and listen to the tone at home, that way you can get some what of a baseline to mark which levels would be good for how close/far they are away from the center of the target.

Or, you could just use the laser sight and electronic hearing protection and be a regular spotter and let them know at what position and how far they are away from the target before actually firing a shot like that club did, instead of over thinking it too much and using the tone, etc. :D. I guess depending on the shooter and how much actual direction they want from you and how challenging they want to make it for themselves by just listening to the tone instead of being told they are x inches from the target, etc.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    When I searched real quick the other night trying to find a local shooting club for the blind, most of the stuff I came up with was from other countries, etc. Some people were using an extremely bright light which the optics would set off a tone when the optics was filled with the bright light the most. One guy which was legally blind here in the US was developing his own optic which essentially did the same thing, but did not require the use of a bright light and just used a contrasting white/black target; and the optic set off a different tone between the two contrasting colors. One club in the US had put a meet together just for the blind and used a laser sight, and then they had spotters which would tell the blind shooter to move x inches up, down, left, right, etc. before firing. Another guy started shooting by turning on an old electronic ringing Christmas bell and trying to shoot it. Which emphasizes your comment about how much blind people end up depending on their hearing more, because they mentioned this same guy shooting the bell also hunts and how he heard turkeys coming 5 minutes before the two guys he was with which were not blind could even hear them (http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm07/bm0702/bm070209.htm)

Anyway, your comment made me wonder if the following would work and kind of use the mix of what I read.

What if you got a pair of the electronic hearing protection, so that way it would enhance the low audio and block the loudness of the shots. Put a laser sight on the firearm, and you can use a spotting scope (or own eyes, depending on distance) so you can see where the blind shooter is targeting his firearm by looking for the laser. Then you could find something which will set off a constant audible tone. The closer you see them get closer to the target, you can turn the volume up of the tone for them, which he/she I'm guessing will be able to pick up the tone by using the electronic hearing protection. You would probably want to put the electronic hearing protection on yourself and listen to the tone at home, that way you can get some what of a baseline to mark which levels would be good for how close/far they are away from the center of the target.

Or, you could just use the laser sight and electronic hearing protection and be a regular spotter and let them know at what position and how far they are away from the target before actually firing a shot like that club did, instead of over thinking it too much and using the tone, etc. :D. I guess depending on the shooter and how much actual direction they want from you and how challenging they want to make it for themselves by just listening to the tone instead of being told they are x inches from the target, etc.

:thumbsup:
    Awesome stuff!

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    good post extski.

but what about someone with approximately 20/200 vision who only sees broken shapes and high contrast? someone who can still get around and cook and generally take care of himself, but can't read his own mail without a 500x magnifying glass, can't pass a driving test, and needs a driver to go to the store?

what are his options for self defense? I'm thinking a 12ga pump with a powerful taclight. if we could pattern the shotgun's shot pattern with a given load against the light's beam pattern, a legally blind person might be able to both identify a target AND aim with that same light.

thoughts?

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I had to do a double take when I read this thread. My X wife is legally blind, and I had to read it a second time to make sure it was regarding a "legally blind man". The thought of anyone teaching my X wife how to shoot has me running for Canada.

You should ask them if they will share their Ophthalmology results, as well as ask them if they have a "visual field" exam they will share with you. This will give you an idea of how much peripheral vision they still retain. Another concern is how likely they are to ascertain whether or not their target is actually a threat, and not accidentally shooting another member of their household they think is an intruder.

A visually impaired persons personal safety issues are substantial, but from a perspective of liability, I (if in your shoes) would really want to know as much about their limitations as possible before adopting a plan for training.

Their are some world renown doctors at Johns Hopkins on working with visually impaired people. Dr. Friedman being one of them. I'm sure someone could help hook you up with more resources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom