Preparing to go for a Big Purchase, tips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    The Maryland Antique Arms show is just around the corner, and I'm think this year I am going to sell down a few guns and swing huge.

I'm going to list a good number of my rifles up soon (with ammo and bayonets attached for some) in order to attempt to find and buy a No.4 Mk. 1 (T) or better sniper rifle from WW 2 to the Vietnam era. First off, is 4 grand a reasonable budget? Secondly, what are the biggest red flags that the seller might have a non-authentic or badly represented item besides non-match serials or obvious signs of refinishing or mismatched wear? With cash in hand would negotiating down be a viable option for me at that price level? Finally, are there any miscellaneous bits of knowledge I should know before fully committing to this action?

Digressing slightly, I intend to start listing items as soon as tomorrow. Anyhow, I look forward to the receiving the collective advice offered here.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'd start by trolling milsurps.com, the Canadian site where Peter Laidler hangs out. Peter is the author of the definitive reference book on the No4T sniper rifle and an ex British armorer. You can't spend too much time pouring over info when it comes to this subject. The site has a TON of info on No4Ts.
    Is $4k enough? Depends on what you're shooting for. The vast majority of No4T rigs I see don't have matching mount and scopes. Those matching unicorns will probably set you back north of $6k. But most of what I see, if it's got original and period correct non-matching components then they're selling in the $4-5K range. You'll also want to verify that the scope is in good condition with clear optics and solid cross hairs. They can be repaired so if you find a bargain that needs rework it's possible. Warren Wheatfield in Canada (aka Wheaty up on milsurps.com) and Peter in the UK both perform this work. You might want to see if a ballpark cost is available so you know just how much you're going to spend up front.
    In the past Joe Salter from Canada has had all the cool Enfield stuff at his MACA tables. Don't think he's ever missed a show that I've attended in the last dozen years. But I'm sure someone will have one in that vast venue. Hopefully it's one you like and can afford. Good hunting!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Attachments

• maca.jpg
      maca.jpg
      94.8 KB · Views: 487

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    The MAA Show is awesome! The first time I went, I was overwhelmed by the size of the venue and the sheer number of tables. I think I logged 10,000 steps waking the tables!

That being said, $4K sounds like a very decent bankroll. Cash on hand will give you an edge in negotiating. Especially when you preface your offer with, “I’d be interesting in paying X, and I can pay in cash right now.”

Doing your research and coming with an idea of what you want is a good idea. Also, chat up the dealer and get a sense if he/she seems like a good person to deal with. I’m always suspicious of guns with no listed prices.

Just my two cents here. Good luck and have fun!

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    $4000 will likely not get you an original Enfield sniper. It will easily get you a replica. Collectible Enfield snipers, when I've found them, are going for north of $7000 in as-issued condition with original optics and accessories. Similar to original Springfield snipers which command thousands for the Army version and well over ten thousand for USMC originals.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    $4000 will likely not get you an original Enfield sniper. It will easily get you a replica. Collectible Enfield snipers, when I've found them, are going for north of $7000 in as-issued condition with original optics and accessories. Similar to original Springfield snipers which command thousands for the Army version and well over ten thousand for USMC originals.

Well that just plain sucks. I knew they had gone up, but not to that extent. Well, are there any other authentic sniper rifles in my budget range I could shoot for or should I just hunt for other rifles or replicas?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Well that just plain sucks. I knew they had gone up, but not to that extent. Well, are there any other authentic sniper rifles in my budget range I could shoot for or should I just hunt for other rifles or replicas?

Watch online live auctions to get a good handle on current market pricing. The biggest downside to this approach is vetting the quality of the example being sold. Is the mount original? Are the optics clear and serviceable? There are lots of things to check out that are best done in person (optics quality and operation can only be done in person). But it's a place to start. Remember, most of the times these are live auctions and anyone bidding in the room has had opportunity to inspect before bidding. So hopefully there are bidders onsite who know their sh*t about Enfield snipers.
    The alternative is what you're planning on doing: attend a collector's focused show where the best of the best is going to hang out. The only downside is that they all know what their stuff is worth so no bargains. But it sounds like you're prepared to spend to get something of decent quality so that's not the issue it would be for a cheapskate like moi. :D

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Oh I should have figured. Well, guess I better hunt down something like a top condition M91/30 with a PEM scope. Those are also fun and well within my price range. Plus, the ammo is readily available!

Besides, at present looks like I'm going to raise 2400 at best unless I can find buyers from my 1888 and Gendarmerie SMLE. Such is life.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Possible, but I am a lefty so the offset scope on them is very off-putting to me. Plus, I prefer bolt action snipers. Not a bad recommendation though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom