• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Lou (or Lou45 as he went by on here) was a pretty good friend of mine. My parents bought me my first military rifle from his shop as a Christmas gift 15 years ago. I went on to buy many more from him until his untimely passing 2 years ago. Everyone here who knew him, knew that he was one hell of a character and I certainly think the firearms community in Maryland took a huge hit now that he's gone.

Lou had an extensive collection of many nice M1911's and other U.S military arms, AR's, Swedish Mausers, and of course his Johnson's. I won't go into any of the details of how or where they ended up, but I came into contact with the individual who now owns most of Lou's stuff. He was looking to sell a few select pieces of Lou's collection, and I was more than happy to oblige in buying them.

I picked up several very nice pieces and I will cherish them as much as he did for many years to come. I might make more detailed threads on a couple of the items, but here's an overview of what I managed to take home with me.

1. Swedish CG63 Target Rifle
    2. Swedish M94/14 Carbine. All matching with an original sling. I've never seen a nicer one anywhere.
    3. 1957 Dated Romanian SKS. Still packed in cosmoline.
    4. Romanian M44 Carbine. All matching and in beautiful shape.
    5. Finnish B-Barrel M1891. Very nice minty condition.
    6. 1917 Dated Webley Mark VI. All matching, un-shaved and no import/export marks.

.....and the absolute nicest piece I was able to get a hold of....

Lou's M1903A4 Sniper Rifle! This was the one that he had on display in his shop for so long. It even has his "not for sale, display only" tags still on it!

Attachments

• IMG_8678.jpg
      IMG_8678.jpg
      130.5 KB · Views: 1,514
    • IMG_8748.jpg
      IMG_8748.jpg
      130.3 KB · Views: 1,530
    • IMG_9025.jpg
      IMG_9025.jpg
      124.9 KB · Views: 1,515
    • IMG_9425.jpg
      IMG_9425.jpg
      129.2 KB · Views: 1,530
    • IMG_9638.jpg
      IMG_9638.jpg
      113.2 KB · Views: 1,544
    • IMG_8954.jpg
      IMG_8954.jpg
      111 KB · Views: 1,523
    • IMG_9353.jpg
      IMG_9353.jpg
      130.3 KB · Views: 1,547
    • IMG_9383.jpg
      IMG_9383.jpg
      132.3 KB · Views: 1,515
    • IMG_9532.jpg
      IMG_9532.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 1,488
    Jul 1, 2012
    guess the P.38 was a bust?
    You got some good stuff there and I bet Lou would be happy you're the custodian now.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I also got an M1903A4 thanks to Dan inviting me along to the sale. I got my first military rifle as well from Lou when I bought an M91/30 in 2011 at the Silverado show in PG.

I'll post more pictures if Dan does a thread for the A4s, but while I got mine first, he got the nicer one. As you can see from the "corrected" tag above, these were overlooked and sold off as A3s.

iO2kqjHl.jpg

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'm glad you got these, I know you'll take good care of them.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks Guys! I'm really happy I was able to get this stuff. Too bad his Johnson's and 1911's weren't up for grabs, but I'm happy enough with what I could get.

Kinda funny that I used to drool over that A4 every time I went into in Lou's shop. I wish I'd have talked to him more about where/when he got it. Also, if you look at the tag, somebody crossed out the "4" on "M1903A4" and replaced it with a "3" after it was taken out of his estate. Presumably because they thought that it was a M1903A3 since that's what it says on the receiver...

Worgenski

Mar 2, 2013
    I only met Lou once, but his words ring in my ear. I was buying a Colt Hbar and a Chinese guy asked if he had a Smith & Season AR.

Lou said, "Boy, why would you want a Smith and Wesson when you could have a Colt?"

The guy proceeded to put his money on the counter.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I only met Lou once, but his words ring in my ear. I was buying a Colt Hbar and a Chinese guy asked if he had a Smith & Season AR.

Lou said, "Boy, why would you want a Sniff and Wesson when you could have a Colt?"

The guy proceeded to put his money on the counter.

FIFY

"Lou was a character" That's an understatement.

Nice Stuff guys

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County

Lou said, "Boy, why would you want a Smith and Wesson when you could have a Colt?"

I think one of those Colt Match Target HBAR's that were DOC marked from Washington State was the last thing I bought from him about a month before he passed away. I'm glad I got it. It's my favorite AR.

Shoot them in good health, my friends, and keep Lou's memory alive.

I shot both the Swede's shortly after I got them. The CG63 is one of the nicest rifles I've ever shot. Seemed to be a tack driver when I sighted it in at 300 yards.

Not sure if I can bring myself to shoot the M1903A4. It's absolutely spotless so I doubt Lou ever shot it. I think I might just find a Gibbs repro to shoot if I want something to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom