• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Ok, got an idea I would be shocked if no one else has already thought of before, but not sure about the legalities.

Ok, we all know that a minigun or any other machine gun not registered before 1986 is not transferrable, but how about this, make a differently designed minigun with a reciever that cannot function without an M16 full auto seer or an M16 lower (or MAC 10/11 or other such item). That way the gun would not be a machine gun (not able to fire more than one shot with one pull of the trigger) untill the registered part is attached.

What do you guys think? I mean it is legal to put a completely different upper like an open bolt firing belt feed on a registered full auto M16 lower, so why not an electric powered mini gun "on top" of the registered lower?

One could have a collection of cool full auto guns but only need one pre-1986 full auto registered part to make them all work (one at a time of course). THink about it, mini gun, chain gun, anti aircraft guns......

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The ATF would consider it to be a new MG. They specifically stated that FNC sears can only be used to convert FNCs to full auto (as the SCAR's fire control group is almost identical), so the rule is that the MG conversion piece must have been originally designed for that particular firearm.

A new non-reciever part is ok (Lage uppers, all the various AR uppers, etc), but putting a conversion piece into a new reciever design is not ok.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The ATF would consider it to be a new MG. They specifically stated that FNC sears can only be used to convert FNCs to full auto (as the SCAR's fire control group is almost identical), so the rule is that the MG conversion piece must have been originally designed for that particular firearm.

A new non-reciever part is ok (Lage uppers, all the various AR uppers, etc), but putting a conversion piece into a new reciever design is not ok.

How about the entire registered reciever and not just the seer? I mean for instance the fire control for the minigun will only work if an M2 reciever with the proper full auto side plate was attached?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I mean wasn't it possible to attach the full auto, belt fed upper called the Shrike on a registered full auto reciever even though the Shrike itself was not technically a machine gun?
    I am thinking along the same lines, a minigun that cannot fire without a fuull auto reciever and is just an attachement and not a firearm itself nor a machine gun.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I mean wasn't it possible to attach the full auto, belt fed upper called the Shrike on a registered full auto reciever even though the Shrike itself was not technically a machine gun?
    I am thinking along the same lines, a minigun that cannot fire without a fuull auto reciever and is just an attachement and not a firearm itself nor a machine gun.

I seem to recall recently that the ATF decided to reclassify a 8mm beltfed ar upper as a machine gun.
    I might be wrong.

Edit this:
    http://www.brpguns.com/xmg.htm this is the manufacturers announcement, if installed on an auto lower the atf deems it needs seperate stamps for the upper and lower.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I seem to recall recently that the ATF decided to reclassify a 8mm beltfed ar upper as a machine gun.
    I might be wrong.

Edit this:
    http://www.brpguns.com/xmg.htm this is the manufacturers announcement, if installed on an auto lower the atf deems it needs seperate stamps for the upper and lower.

Interesting, but it might be because of their design and might be a minor change required. I would like to see that letter.

I think the R&D cost ro create a non-firearm that would only see very, VERY limited civillian market use (cops and the .Mil can have REAL miniguns, made next week) is going to make it a non-starter.

When you look at ammo prices now and the MG market in the last couple years, you'll see that as ammo has gotten more expensive, MG prices have flatlined or started falling. RR M-16's are going for less than $10K now (BFI's and Frankfords). Beltfeds are WAY down, especially 50's.

Making a new upper that will shoot up MORE ammo even faster is just not gonna fly with most people that own MG's - unless it uses bulk .22lr. Remember - most poeple who own machineguns have owned them for years. They got into MG's when they only cost 2x a semiauto version and a transfer tax. Now? They wouldn't buy one.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think the R&D cost ro create a non-firearm that would only see very, VERY limited civillian market use (cops and the .Mil can have REAL miniguns, made next week) is going to make it a non-starter.

When you look at ammo prices now and the MG market in the last couple years, you'll see that as ammo has gotten more expensive, MG prices have flatlined or started falling. RR M-16's are going for less than $10K now (BFI's and Frankfords). Beltfeds are WAY down, especially 50's.

Making a new upper that will shoot up MORE ammo even faster is just not gonna fly with most people that own MG's - unless it uses bulk .22lr. Remember - most poeple who own machineguns have owned them for years. They got into MG's when they only cost 2x a semiauto version and a transfer tax. Now? They wouldn't buy one.
    Forget the marketting part for a few seconds, think of it in the context of a multi millionaire just wanting to have some legal fun.

But also think of it this way, a tinkerer who wants to make their own electric powered gatling gun legally.

Yep. If I ever come into Monopoly Money, I'm gonna start a Corp. to make posties. Sure, I'll sell 'em to any qualified department that wants them and Demo letter them to whoever can give me something on a letterhead, but the real fun will be in R&D!!!

I'd wager at least 75% of the II 07 SOT's out there are.... well, nevermind....

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    I live in eager and constant anticipation of the next wonderful idea about how to evade the NFA and make a legal, tax-free, unregistered, full auto weapon. Lotsa luck, and enjoy the stainless steel toilet seat.

Jim

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I think you could, I saw a guy on youtube who made a belt fed shotgun on top of a M16 full auto lower. Jammed alot though.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    It is a novel idea, but I don't think it would fly with the ATF. The mechanics of a minigun are completely different from any other machinegun. The ATF has to approve of things like this to determine if they are accessories or new firearms. I don't think anyone could make a minigun attachment that would specifically rely on a registered trigger group from another weapon, and not be able to be manipulated to fire with out that registered part. Not to mention the cost to manufacture would be tremendous. As a class 2, I can tell you I don't see a minigun(even postie) in my future beacause of the price tag to build. But hey, if we could convince our government to repeal the '86 law life would be much more simple. Oh well, just wishful thinking :(

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I live in eager and constant anticipation of the next wonderful idea about how to evade the NFA and make a legal, tax-free, unregistered, full auto weapon. Lotsa luck, and enjoy the stainless steel toilet seat.

Jim
    YOu don't get it, this is not avoiding crap, it is USING a registered device that is required in order to operate it.

Jim

Nothing illegal about it. Start a Corp., get the FFL, pay the SOT, operate on a commercial basis (make stuff, sell it, show income, pay taxes on it) and comply with all applicable laws.

1,000,000,000,000,000% legal.

You DO realize that there ARE companies out there that made machineguns this very afternoon, right? And they'll make more tommorow. And artillary. And explosives. And missles. And bombs. And every other piece of ordnance that gets used by the military or police agencies.... These are all PRIVATE companies. How? They filed the right paperwork. No one's frog-marching the owner or employees of these companies off to Club Fed for making NFA devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom