Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 14th, 2018, 08:17 PM #11
Garrett Co Hooligan #1

Garrett Co Hooligan #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorros View Post
I did what was suggested. Except the sight. Tonight i will take the rear sight apart. There is a gun smith on the upper eastern shore that is familiar. I told him i might see him tomorrow with a handful of parts in pocket.
A dirty rear sight is likely not your problem. But cleaning the rear sight gears isn't hard. Be bold - but not stupid! (You should learn how the sight works so thanks for humoring me ) Hopefully you've field stripped your rifle, cleaned the action and lubed all the necessary areas on reassembly. If you haven't, it's time to start learning how.

I have confidence you'll get your Garand running properly. If you've performed the sight alignment field tests correctly, IMHO there's some other underlying issue with your rifle than needs to be identified and corrected.

Good Luck!

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:42 PM #12
The M1 Does My Talking

The M1 Does My Talking

The Garand does not have a "battle sight position."

You just raise the rear sight to give yourself the point of impact you want at 100 (or 200) yards, then loosen the elevation knob and re-lock it so the 100 (or 200) aligns with the mark.

(There is a little trick to re-locking the knob, which is explained in the Read This First booklet the CMP includes with each Garand.)

-------

I wouldn't be happy with that windage, but I'm sure the Army would say it's within spec. Taking it to a Garand smith sounds like a good move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdFhG9anY8
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 11:46 AM #13

I took the rear sight apart. Its clean and well oiled. I was told by an armorour over here on the shore who has not seen the rifle it is not possible for the barrel to be improperly indexed. Does that make sense? Something to do with relationship to the gas system
Old September 15th, 2018, 11:56 AM #14
Old School Rifleman

Old School Rifleman

Have you checked the gas cylinder? Is it loose? How is the barrel spline under it? if the gas cylinder is off center so will the front sight base.....
"There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay."
---Threeband

MSI EM --- NRA Endowment Member --- CMP Competitor --- NRA Expert HP Rifle
Drmsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 12:09 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmsparks View Post
Have you checked the gas cylinder? Is it loose? How is the barrel spline under it? if the gas cylinder is off center so will the front sight base.....
To my untrained eye, all appears aligned without looseness.
But i donít know what i am looking at.
Old September 15th, 2018, 12:31 PM #16

No because the gas cylinder is splined to the barrel. The op rod has a round piston if its in good shape. Thats why I mentioned on your other thread to check it out for uneven wear that could give you a clue for whats going on.
Your barrel could be just a few degrees off which can spell problems for proper sight alignment or in the worst case it could be bent or a combination of both and in need of other cumulative defect repair. This is of course after you have exhausted all other points of inspection relating to your specific problem.
I seen a rear sight that was 16 points of hard left in the first thread. I described where you may have at best 11 minutes of adjustment on the FS dovetail. Your rifle still shot right at 25 and 50 yards with up to four clicks left and the front sight nearly off the dovetail. Things are not going to improve at increased distances.

Good instruction was given a few posts back to center the FS, clean and inspect your rear sight and previously to have a look at the squashed aperture and to make sure it didn't move left or right when it was being raised or lowered or the hole for the aperture was not distorted. A picture on this thread as best the image indicates seems to me that the front sight blade may even be a little out of wack as best I can tell from what I see.

At this point if I were you would be to center the sights, find a solid rest and fire the rifle. Make sure you use good ammo and your eye meets the rear sight the same way every time.

Go from there until you have had an opportunity to rule out other details that may affect your rifles performance or you can get with another to learn more about the rifles characteristics or get your hands on some published materials that will help you determine a root cause.
Doco Overboard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:26 PM #17

Doco. Yesterday i started wi5h center sights. 8” right. I moved the front sight right. 2” right at 25 yds!
Moved the rear left 2clicks, on the bull at 25/50 yds. Pics i posted were of the sights after they were moved to a final position.
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:39 PM #18

Reading a thread on this subject on the CMP site, this would appear to be common to many rifles. Front sight on one edge or another.
Old September 15th, 2018, 02:44 PM #19

Maybe let a range buddy try it out and see if different results occur. If you have one or more rifles around at the same time, drop it in a different stock and see if it acts differently before you pull the plug to send it off somewhere. Could be something that you may have not discovered yet or just may have overlooked. Not all rifles are exactly at mechanical zero with the FS dead center, more than likely you may have one that one or more things are just adding up differently.
Theirs a lot of details that good text will help you identify and something else to compare it to side by side can be a tremendous help in itself.
Doco Overboard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 04:08 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorros View Post
I took the rear sight apart. Its clean and well oiled. I was told by an armorour over here on the shore who has not seen the rifle it is not possible for the barrel to be improperly indexed. Does that make sense? Something to do with relationship to the gas system
If the armorer told you that "it is not possible for the barrel to be improperly indexed.", he is wrong! The rifle will function, even if the barrel is off by several degrees from proper index but, it will accelerate parts wear. Take it to someone who knows Garands, like Charlie Maloney, or as I suggested in the other thread, contact the CMP and explain the issue you have. CMP is pretty good about taking care of any issues with rifles that came from them.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)