• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    I have a LaRue 12in 556 barrel that I'm impressed with. I'd get one while they are still on sale if you were to go 556

Where are the larue barrels on sale at?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    This thread reminds me I need to build mine. Got the stamp 6+ months ago and the lower is still sitting in my closet...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    According to the examiner I spoke with the ATF doesn't care what length you modify it to after the form 1 is approved as long as it is still a SBR. Do you have a letter, regulation, statue you can cite to support your assertion? Per ATF website their definition of a SBR is:

" A firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is
    made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they: (a)
    serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than
    16 inches in length; or (b) convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm. A
    firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts within a kit
    that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or
    re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle
    with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length). A firearm, as defined by 26
    U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts
    designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in
    length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the
    NFA (e.g., as a pistol). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a
    handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or
    barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon
    originally assembled or produced only as a rifle"

Read the second page of the Form 1. Under the part that says, "Important Information for Currently Registered Firearms."

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV
    25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in Item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    As usual with the ATF everything is open to interpretation. According to the examiner I spoke to (Terry Whitting) they don't need to be notified of a barrel length change. Of course that is just one examiners opinion and really means squat when it comes down to a potential violation. As others have said, to be on the safe side if you change barrel lengths keep the original barrel. Other than submit a letter advising them of the change I am not aware of a form to advise them of said "Permanent" length changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom