• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hate Work

Nov 29, 2016
    CentralMD.
    To the OP. You mentioned semi auto... I have a Browning Safari Mark II with Boss that will work at 400 yards with any 180 grain bullet. With proper sling you should have no issues in the woods. Other than that, 6.5 Grendel gets another vote.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I was more thinking of using the 120gr SST's in my 270 wsm. They're designed for the 6.8 but I want to try them out. I'd love to be able to share components between cartridges if possible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Those will work with the 6.8. Get some PRI mags for the 6.8, you can load them out to 2.300" COAL. I personally would prefer the 110gr Accubonds. The BC on them is much better than what's published.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've killed plenty of deer with .223 carbine ARs. Only add-on you need is a scope. I prefer a decent 3-9×40. Nice and light, flat shooting.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    To the OP. You mentioned semi auto... I have a Browning Safari Mark II with Boss that will work at 400 yards with any 180 grain bullet. With proper sling you should have no issues in the woods. Other than that, 6.5 Grendel gets another vote.
    A BAR isn't out of the question. I'd love to have one in 270 wsm but they're somewhat cost prohibitive.

I think most of the issue I'm running into is that battle rifle aren't exactly meant for hunting.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    To be honest, I really want the gnarliest rifle possible to piss off all the PA Fudds that are crying about the lifted ban on semi autos.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    To be honest, I really want the gnarliest rifle possible to piss off all the PA Fudds that are crying about the lifted ban on semi autos.

Look at Noreen Firearms in my previous post. Hunting calibers in an AR format for $2K.

Many of those "Fudds" in western PA, are chomping at the bit to use their M1 Garands for deer hunting.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've killed plenty of deer with .223 carbine ARs. Only add-on you need is a scope. I prefer a decent 3-9×40. Nice and light, flat shooting.

I've never shot one personally, but my father did with Winchester 64gr softpoints. Zero blood trail, bullet didn't exit but cause massive carnage inside. I would prefer something that will leave a blood trail personally lol.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've never shot one personally, but my father did with Winchester 64gr softpoints. Zero blood trail, bullet didn't exit but cause massive carnage inside. I would prefer something that will leave a blood trail personally lol.

That is kinda true and I should have added, I would never shoot a deer with .223 beyond your ability to put the bullet right were you want it, meaning heart, neck, or head. Definitely not out to 400yds. But who shoots deer at that range? I would only attempt something like that with a GOOD bolt gun.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Look at Noreen Firearms in my previous post. Hunting calibers in an AR format for $2K.

Many of those "Fudds" in western PA, are chomping at the bit to use their M1 Garands for deer hunting.
    Those Noreen rifles are FUGLY. Lol

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You can always shoot a Garand Sniper ;)

Do not discount the SKS either. If you can get a good fit on a replacement receive to mount a scope, you can shoot really accurately with one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Piss off Fudds? .50 Beowulf.

Yeah, it'll cut your range down to about 200 yards. But you'll only have to drag the remaining portion of the deer out of the woods... :D

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Yep. Been using an AR for hunting for years.

dGg4lsj.jpg

16" 300BLK, with a form 1 suppressor. If the first shot doesn't drop whatever you've got, just try again.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is the 400yd part meant to stir things up on purpose ? Or do you really want a concersation about " what are good AR based ctgs for general purpose deer hunting ? " (Unless you go out of your way to seek out very long shots on purpose) the usual numbers bandied about are somthing like 98% plus shots less than 300yds, with majority under 100yd.

If we were talking up to 250 slam dunk, stretching to 300-ish , the choices are wide. Rounds from major mfg include 6.8 SPC , 6.5 Grendel,.30AR ( Rem doomed it with misleading advertising, but accepted for what it actually is, its decent) , and 7.62x39 . Of those the Grendel has the edge at longer ranges.

If really meaning 400yds , the conversation starts with the Grendel, and moves to various wildcats in 6mm and 6.5 .

If you want to impress your brush hunting * traditional minded sportsmen * friends and neighbors,.458SOCM and Beowulf.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Is the 400yd part meant to stir things up on purpose ? Or do you really want a concersation about " what are good AR based ctgs for general purpose deer hunting ? " (Unless you go out of your way to seek out very long shots on purpose) the usual numbers bandied about are somthing like 98% plus shots less than 300yds, with majority under 100yd.

If we were talking up to 250 slam dunk, stretching to 300-ish , the choices are wide. Rounds from major mfg include 6.8 SPC , 6.5 Grendel,.30AR ( Rem doomed it with misleading advertising, but accepted for what it actually is, its decent) , and 7.62x39 . Of those the Grendel has the edge at longer ranges.

If really meaning 400yds , the conversation starts with the Grendel, and moves to various wildcats in 6mm and 6.5 .

If you want to impress your brush hunting * traditional minded sportsmen * friends and neighbors,.458SOCM and Beowulf.
    Nah, I hunted with my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 this year and it wasn't enough gun to reach the only buck I saw. 300 yards is more realistic but I don't want a round that is falling fast at that distance.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I'm finishing up a 6.8 SPC AR right now. From what I've read the 6.8 is good out to 400yds or so. Though I think anything more than 200 yds or so I'd prefer a bolt action rifle.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You can always shoot a Garand Sniper ;)

Do not discount the SKS either. If you can get a good fit on a replacement receive to mount a scope, you can shoot really accurately with one.

An SKS isn't really a 400 yard deer rifle though. Even with a scope it is at best a 200yd deer rifle. Which isn't to say it is impossible to hit and kill a deer with one further than that, but fat, slow, high drag bullets aren't really great for long shots.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    My cousin hunts with an Armalite AR-10 and loves it. I know guys that hunt with .300 Blackout or .450 Bushmaster for deer and have satisfactory experiences hunting deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom