• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kagemusha

May 8, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Garages are usually not included in alarm systems. For some garage door openers, especially older ones, there are easy ways of sending a signal to open the door.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    I had concerns about this years ago when I moved all my shop tools to the garage,so I ran some sleepers on the floor with vapor barrier and some 3/4' styrofoam panels finished with 3'4 ply.The walls were furred out, again ran styrofoam and drywall.The garage door oldschool manual lift,ran security on the window and both doors.I have never had a tool rust and this is now my reloading base.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    That is not a safe, it's a lock box. I personally wouldn't do it, but if it's his only viable option I guess it is better than leaving them sitting out.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Why would you mount something like that in the garage in the first place? It doesn't take up any room but between the studs. There has to be a closet somewhere inside with an interior back wall. I smell a hoplophobic spouse.

Otherwise, insulate well, golden rod, Eezox .

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Both guns and ammo need to be protected from:
    1. Humidity/moisture.
    2. Heat. Cracks stocks,deteriorates powders.
    3. Sudden temperature changes. Especially a cold gun or ammo taken out into a warm damp atmosphere.

Store them in a climate controlled place. The number of and rapidity of change of heat cycles is what damages wood and plastics/propellants. If there is a daily change from a cold room at night, to a hot sunny one by day, then it is not a place to store your stuff.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Have very little stuff in my attic because it's either overly hot in summer or overly cold in winter. Just wondered if anybody had found some type of solution for storage in an attic. Such a waste of available space, especially in a small to medium rancher.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Have very little stuff in my attic because it's either overly hot in summer or overly cold in winter. Just wondered if anybody had found some type of solution for storage in an attic. Such a waste of available space, especially in a small to medium rancher.

The wild swings in humidity are worse than the swings in temperature. Don't put anything in the attic other than insulation!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

You could seal it, and put the insulation directly under the roof. Make it a climate controlled, or at least subject less to swings.

Or, build a small room that is properly insulated, and connect to heat/cooling.

My problem would be, that you ceiling construction is not load bearing enough to handle a loaded safe.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I mean, I wouldn’t store gun stuff in my rancher’s attic, but I do store stuff up there. Pre-lit Christmas tree, spare rolls of PEX, PVC piping, spare pieces of siding and the trim to go with, a couple of similar things. I built a really nice access in my garage when I tore down the old garage and built a much bigger one.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would think there is a way to make a small concealed wall with insulation and duct air in from the house via a 6" RV duct or something enough to keep the space dehumidified and safe from extreme temperature swings.

I think we have all struggled with storage issues and unless you have a lot of conditioned space there are not that many options for large (30+) collections.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would think there is a way to make a small concealed wall with insulation and duct air in from the house via a 6" RV duct or something enough to keep the space dehumidified and safe from extreme temperature swings.

I think we have all struggled with storage issues and unless you have a lot of conditioned space there are not that many options for large (30+) collections.

If you are still talking in a garage, the issue is your need a fire door to access this space and seal it up good. Ducting air in to a “not well sealed” garage space is a big no. Especially if it is on-grade with the garage.

Flammable liquids and poisonous gases issues.

I think most people can find a spot in their conditioned space. It not be ideal, but most people can. Can slot a safe in to a closet. If you’ve got a basement, move it down there (make sure dehumidifier, but at least you wouldn’t have temperature swings).

If you’ve got so much you don’t have space in your house, sounds like you need to move, or downsize the collection. Or have multiple storage options (two smaller safes in two different closests).

If your garage is large enough, you can convert some to conditioned space. Not usually an option. Or you can build a detached shed or garage that is insulated and conditioned. Something I’ve been thinking of doing. I’ve got a crappy shed and want a one car detached. Make it a bit oversized and conditioned or make a conditioned room in the garage. I can use it as a work space and store guns in a safe out there also.

If insulated and dehumidified don’t really need A/C and for heat not strictly necessary. Though ideally you want it to stay over 50F as most dehumidifiers don’t work well below that. Which doesn’t take much heat if well insulated and a smaller space, like maybe 60-80sq-ft

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I do like the "between the studs" gun lockers, but in a conditioned space.
    It is the temperature swings that will get you. If it is 40 deg for a week, your guns will be 40 deg. Then a 65deg warm/moist front rolls in. what happens when that 65deg moist are hits your 40 deg metal barrel?
    If I were storing in an unconditioned space in MD, I would "lube" em up and drop them in a bag. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STT12HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Except the 65 degree humid air does not roll in a hit the barrels. It does roll in and hit the safe, so you will get condensation on the outside.

It will take time for that humidity to infiltrate the safe.

And if you run a Golden Rod, it will keep the interior temp higher, so the guns won't be at 40, they will at 65 pr 70.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you are still talking in a garage, the issue is your need a fire door to access this space and seal it up good. Ducting air in to a “not well sealed” garage space is a big no. Especially if it is on-grade with the garage.

Flammable liquids and poisonous gases issues.

I think most people can find a spot in their conditioned space. It not be ideal, but most people can. Can slot a safe in to a closet. If you’ve got a basement, move it down there (make sure dehumidifier, but at least you wouldn’t have temperature swings).

If you’ve got so much you don’t have space in your house, sounds like you need to move, or downsize the collection. Or have multiple storage options (two smaller safes in two different closests).

If your garage is large enough, you can convert some to conditioned space. Not usually an option. Or you can build a detached shed or garage that is insulated and conditioned. Something I’ve been thinking of doing. I’ve got a crappy shed and want a one car detached. Make it a bit oversized and conditioned or make a conditioned room in the garage. I can use it as a work space and store guns in a safe out there also.

If insulated and dehumidified don’t really need A/C and for heat not strictly necessary. Though ideally you want it to stay over 50F as most dehumidifiers don’t work well below that. Which doesn’t take much heat if well insulated and a smaller space, like maybe 60-80sq-ft

That's what I was thinking build a sealed false wall that was as tight as any house/garage interface with a duct to create enough airflow to prevent buildup and stabilize the temperature enough.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Yes, you are correct. But he was talking about a Stock-On or Homack "locker",, they are not exactly "sealed"

Except the 65 degree humid air does not roll in a hit the barrels. It does roll in and hit the safe, so you will get condensation on the outside.

It will take time for that humidity to infiltrate the safe.

And if you run a Golden Rod, it will keep the interior temp higher, so the guns won't be at 40, they will at 65 pr 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom