AWB Hearing Recap (was Live Update Thread)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    WBAL Coverage

WBAL has been giving updates on their news segment. It's pretty even handed all in all. They played snippets of comments from the freedom fighters as well as the gun grabbers. WBAL said more like 125 people are there to testify against.

I'm disappointed that Rom Smith has said nothing about it. Keep up the good fight, and thank you all. I wish I could have come, but I am buried at work. I did re-send emails to sponsors and committee members.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    The Associated Press
    Originally published February 27, 2007, 5:56 PM EST
    Assault weapons ban revisited
    Supporters call bill a commonsense move; opponents say it won't deter criminals
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/lo...s0227,0,7764495.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

. . . lawmakers had questions about whether the bill would keep the guns away from criminals. Others questioned how often these types of guns were used in crimes.

Sen. Nancy Jacobs, a Republican who represents parts of Harford and Cecil counties, questioned how the bill would prevent gang members from acquiring and using the weapons.

"I've never known them to obey the law," she said, evoking applause from opponents of the bill and causing Sen. Brian Frosh, the committee chair, to call for order and remind the audience that the hearing "was not a basketball game."

About 130 people signed up to testify on Senate Bill 43. Opponents, many wearing at least one sticker or button with a red line through "SB 43," followed testimony from outside the committee hearing room, because all the seats inside were taken. . .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I just got home from the hearing. Civility prevent's me from posting my thoughts about the testimony! :mad54:

whats it lookin like? Is it gonna get shut down?

*has fingers crossed* I'll be texting the entire family after I hear somethin, they are all at the gun shop, no TV or internet there... I'm at home watchin for news

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Just got home....

3) Need to call BS on "No sporting use". The AR-15 IS used in many competitions, as are MOST of the rifles that would be affected.

That is EXACTLY what my testimony was about. I distributed photos of my wife and kids shooting rifles that would be banned.

My physical count hit 148 people at 2:30. I know a lot of people had to leave, and that a lot of people showed up to merely sign the sheets opposing the bill. 210 people streaming in and out is probably close to accurate still.

I'm tired. When I left about 5:15 there was still a solid 30 to 40 people waiting to testify. Testimony was limited to 3 minutes from the start of things.

Feb 27, 2007
    Just got home....

That is EXACTLY what my testimony was about. I distributed photos of my wife and kids shooting rifles that would be banned.

My physical count hit 148 people at 2:30. I know a lot of people had to leave, and that a lot of people showed up to merely sign the sheets opposing the bill. 210 people streaming in and out is probably close to accurate still.

I'm tired. When I left about 5:15 there was still a solid 30 to 40 people waiting to testify. Testimony was limited to 3 minutes from the start of things.

Hey i just got home myself. When do they actually vote on the bill? From what i understand we should have the majority of the senators' votes.

edit: nevermind, i just read it on ar15.com. So is the hearing over or are they still hearing opposition?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Opponents, many wearing at least one sticker or button with a red line through "SB 43

:party29: I guess all of that time making those damned things was worth it after all. :bannana:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Cross posted from THR:

My recap:

I made around 100 or so buttons and they went like the gift wrap sale at Wal-Mart the day after Christmas. I actually had to go around and ask some folks that had multiple pro-gun adornments to give some up.

The working pro-gun count....210. The antis had NO ONE other than the girl whose father was shot to testify in favor of the bill that was not a Ceasefire or Brady board member.

I went after a few points that hadn't been hit:

1. The Ceasefire jerks say that 71% of MD residents support the ban. Where were they today?

2. Law enforcement supports the ban. Then why is it that the Fraternal Order of Police, which represents the line duty officers, opposes the ban.

3. The MD State Police supports the ban this year, yet the VERY SAME officer sat their and testified against the bill.

4. We have SB43, which will prohibit the law-abiding citizens of MD from owning a huge class of firearms, yet one of the sponsors of this bill is simultaneously sponsoring a bill that will grant convicted drug dealers the right to obtain the VERY SAME FIREARMS that SB43 wants to ban.

Apparently I got a very stabbing glance from Senator Gladden, the sponsor in question, when that point came out.

Senator Jacobs came out as we left and congratulated me on my testimony. (Aw shucks).

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Antis

As I posted earlier, there were only a handful of Professional Anti gun people there in favor of the Assault Ban. No individuals. The one lady who testified about her father, a cop, being shot by "a concealed assault weapon" was there as part of Cease Fire, her Aunt is the President(?) of Cease Fire. The Brady Rep was not even a citizen of Maryland. All the true, individual, everyday Citizens were against the Ban.

Douglas- I'm not sure that the "sporting" issue was addressed clearly for the committee. Maybe after I left it was covered better. If folks are writing letters to the committee members, stating that you enjoy participating in sporting competitions (such as the ones you listed) with their gun that would fall under the proposed ban, might help to make the point.

Also I am very concerned that the use of these guns for self defense is lacking. We need more people to stand up and say that they have used these guns to protect their selves and families. That these very same guns can be used for good. The only one I heard mention that was the elder gentlemen with the bad hearing... I'm sorry I did not get to personally meet that gentleman. I'm sure he has some good stories.

-Boxcab

(Edited bad spelling)

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    We welcome all of you new guests looking around. :mdpatriot

I wish you'd register so we can have your participation:cop:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Norton said--

"4. We have SB43, which will prohibit the law-abiding citizens of MD from owning a huge class of firearms, yet one of the sponsors of this bill is simultaneously sponsoring a bill that will grant convicted drug dealers the right to obtain the VERY SAME FIREARMS that SB43 wants to ban.

Apparently I got a very stabbing glance from Senator Gladden, the sponsor in question, when that point came out.

"

:lol:
    You rock Norton! Man I'd give a hundred bucks for the look on her face. Especially since a concerned citizen wrote a number of the conservative area media outlets last night complaining about the same thing. :innocent0

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    As I posted earlier, there were only a handful of Professional Anti gun people there in favor of the Assault Ban. No individuals. The one lady who testified about her father, a cop, being shot by "a concealed assault weapon" was there as part of Cease Fire, her Aunt is the President(?) of Cease Fire. The Brady Rep was not even a citizen of Maryland. All the true, individual, everyday Citizens were against the Ban.

You know, that's really kind of sad if they're stooping to lie about that. If it's the LEO who I think it is, it is FBI Agent Miller who was killed by some gangbanger nutcase with a fully automatic Mac-11 pistol who walked into DC Police Headquarters ten years ago and started shooting it up. A weapon that was NOT a rifle, already banned by about a zillion state, federal, and DC laws, and which he was also ineligible to possess even if it weren't since he was already a convicted felon. A telling story about how gun control doesn't work.

I don't begrudge the daughter her opinion. God knows she's earned the right to speak it. But to see someone's tragedy used like that for political ends......pathetic, just a pathetic comment on the Brady Bunch.

I hope if any of you Brady types are reading this you're proud of yourselves. All I can say.

ok, my own little aside, its been asked earlier, but no answers yet... When will we hear something, when will the vote be, or has it already been done? I've been searching all the news sites and can't find anything, so can someone please let me know? :)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Im not 21 and I bought an AR 15 at the Timonium show a few weeks ago.

The HB AR15s are not regulated qand you only have to be 18 to buy one. If you do not have a heavy barrel on it and someone made a mistake, then I suggest you cover your ass and buy one and put one on it until you are 21. (Maryland firearms laws are complicated and stupid).

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I finally pulled up stakes and left around 5 o'clock. I still had not gotten a chance to testify, but by that point everything I planned to say had been said by others in about a hundred different ways. I figured by that point we were way ahead on the scorecard and it was best to quit while we were ahead.

All things considered I think things went well for our side. It was worth the trip over there just to see the look on the Ceasefire woman's face after the overhead projector malfunction. :lol2: :D :lol: What a dumbass, bringing a Powerpoint presentation when the time limit was 3 minutes. Serves her right.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Send Follow-up Letters/e-mail and calls to the Judicial Members NOW!

Send Follow-up Letters/e-mail and calls to the Judicial Members NOW!

Now that the hearing is behind us I suggest that we all sit down and pen a letter/e-mail to ALL of the Senate Judicial Members thanking them for sitting through the hundreds of testimonies AGAINST SB 43 and urge them to issue an UNFAVORABLE REPORT on SB 43.

Follow-up is key folks!

e-mail addresses for all Judicial Senators are below:
    Jamie.Raskin@senate.state.md.us, Jim.Brochin@senate.state.md.us, Jennie.Forehand@senate.state.md.us, Brian.Frosh@senate.state.md.us, Lisa.Gladden@senate.state.md.us, Larry.Haines@senate.state.md.us, Nancy.Jacobs@senate.state.md.us, Alex.Mooney@senate.state.md.us, Anthony.Muse@senate.state.md.us, Bryan.simonaire@senate.state.md.us, Norman.Stone@senate.state.md.us

I doubt that it could hurt to sum up the points you included in your testimony and that of others to keep things fresh in their memories and also point out that there were no more than a handful of proponents of the bill all of which were professionals (with the exception of a victim or two) and that there were over 200 against the bill and more that were there but could not sign the sign in sheet because it was hidden or had been pulled.

This is not over yet....continue to drive the nails home for the next few weeks and lets get started on the Assault Weapon Tax HR 441.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom