• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My (anecdotal) observation from classes like recent HQL classes is that they are very diverse, and the #1 and #2 thing people care about are carry permits.

That situation will get fixed, but only with our dear legislators kicking and screaming and forced by the Supreme Court. Assapolis really should not be doing anything, especially with the HPRB, until we see the opinion NYSRP vs New York. Or whether the Supreme Court takes the NJ carry case march 22nd. Their "fix" to the HPRB should be to make MD shall-issue like the rest of America. And DC! But whatever, you can tell them that but they really just want to be spanked and waste money on lawsuits. Frosh still controls things from behind the scenes.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I know one gun store that makes a point to tell customers about proposed regulation that could impact how long guns are purchased in the state. I hope others are doing this as well. I would imagine (maybe too optimistically) that some of the private ranges would post the MSI alert flyer at eye level for those entering or exiting the range. I can see TMGN in Frederick potentially doing this, but not sure that Heritage would.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Between Perry & myself, TMGN has MSI flyers on three bulletin boards and a stack on the counter to hand out.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Between Perry & myself, TMGN has MSI flyers on three bulletin boards and a stack on the counter to hand out.
    You guys are awesome.

I had forwarded the MSI flyer to my local gun store, but I believe within a day, AOB had dropped off hardcopies too.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I'm a 61 yr. old hunter who has been hunting since age 8. NRA life member since 1988. National Assoc. for Gun Rights member also. I've always paid attention to what the hell is going on locally and nationally. My hunting buddies also. I was up in in SW Garrett co. all last week on the farm up my hunting camp. All the people that I know up there know what the hell is going on. Most wish Garrett Co was In WV a real state with constitutional carry. By the way when I go up I travel mostly through WV before I turn north on Rt. 560 MD. off of Rt. 50 west Gormania, WV. I do carry when in WV to exercise the right of constitutional carry!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Why does it always have to be the fudds that get picked on. What about the tactiduds that do not follow any of this stuff. They have their cool AR, Glock, and tactical vest, and know absolutely nothing about the laws that are being proposed in Annapolis. Wonder what you would find out if you hung out at a range all day and asked people there what they thought about the gun control laws in Annapolis this year. How many do you think would even know what the proposed laws are?

It takes a lot of time and effort to follow this stuff. One of my more intelligent and sophisticated clients wanted to have his son gift some firearms to him so they would not be part of a divorce proceeding. He was shocked to find out that 1) the assault weapons could not be transferred to him unless his son died beforehand and 2) he needed an HQL to have the handguns transferred to him. He was none to happy to hear about that, and told his son that his son was SOL. That client lives in Wisconsin now and he does not miss Maryland one bit.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Why does it always have to be the fudds that get picked on. What about the tactiduds that do not follow any of this stuff. They have their cool AR, Glock, and tactical vest, and know absolutely nothing about the laws that are being proposed in Annapolis. Wonder what you would find out if you hung out at a range all day and asked people there what they thought about the gun control laws in Annapolis this year. How many do you think would even know what the proposed laws are?

It takes a lot of time and effort to follow this stuff. One of my more intelligent and sophisticated clients wanted to have his son gift some firearms to him so they would not be part of a divorce proceeding. He was shocked to find out that 1) the assault weapons could not be transferred to him unless his son died beforehand and 2) he needed an HQL to have the handguns transferred to him. He was none to happy to hear about that, and told his son that his son was SOL. That client lives in Wisconsin now and he does not miss Maryland one bit.

Concur with this... I'd wager that this board isn't even 1% of the MD population that owns a gun. The other 99% get news of laws from other sources and those sources don't report on proposed bills the majority of the time.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Concur with this... I'd wager that this board isn't even 1% of the MD population that owns a gun. The other 99% get news of laws from other sources and those sources don't report on proposed bills the majority of the time.
    Concur with that, and the fact that I'd venture to say "Fudds" make up a vast majority of gun owners and those who (gasp) actually shoot.

A friend told me when he took his W&C class there were 20 students, TWO total had ever even HEARD of MDS, one of those two said they thought the site was full of "racists".

So, between the infighting, name calling and then the fact that most people aren't even aware that there is even an actual fight going on......

Last edited:

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Most real rural folks , and that’s who a majority of the hunters are, don’t spend their time trying to figure out what Annapolis is doing and to be honest there’s so little news, print or otherwise, about what the reps are proposing that if your not into spending a bunch of time looking into it then you won’t know.

And most rural folks just don’t give two fvcks what Annapolis does. They already have the “ we won’t comply” mentality and have had it for as long as I have been alive at the very least.

That's been my experience where I live in the Democratic People's Republic.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I can’t tell you how many times I was in a gun shop after FSA2013 and heard “do you have your HQL?” “No, what’s that?” Was the response. That got a ton of press coverage and still most people didn’t know a thing about it.
    There is far less publicity about this but the same problem remains in getting the message out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol2:I was in one gun shop here in the Democratic People's Republic when someone came in to do the paper work for a handgun they had won. When asked about their HQL they said the same thing..WTF is that? After they were told what it was they realized they didn't win bupkiss and actually would have to spend money.:lol:

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    The press is not going to tell you about a bill in the MGA that they, the media (WBAL, WJZ, and the DC suburb stations) support. If people knew what these bill would do nothing to stop crime and only affect the law abiding the people would make their voices heard. The only way to get the word out about these bills is to inform members at your clubs and ranges about this stupidity. That might help get the word out. Saying a law is stupid and is that its attacking the law abiding would not not affect a clubs 501(c)3 status.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    For those of you with longer-term perspective of MD politics, has the MD Republican Party always shied away from alerting the base about potential new gun control or is this a position (of not engaging in a fight at the party level and leaving it to individual candidates) that the party has adopted in the Hogan era?

In MD they have always done this. Not enough soldiers to bring to the fight. You would think what do they have to lose? Might as well fight like hll than go along quietly. Maybe that is why the Dems out number the GOP 2 to 1 here.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Me too! It was my first DU event and I was amazed at just how many folks there were not aware of what was going on in Annapolis in regard to 2A! I suggested to the DU representative that maybe they need to send out a legislative blast to the members. He did not seem that interested.

They're not going to be. They want politicians and wealthy donors and if you bring in real politics beyond saving the wet lands. They are afraid of losing their tax exempt status and/or their rapport with the elites.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    My (anecdotal) observation from classes like recent HQL classes is that they are very diverse, and the #1 and #2 thing people care about are carry permits.

That situation will get fixed, but only with our dear legislators kicking and screaming and forced by the Supreme Court. Assapolis really should not be doing anything, especially with the HPRB, until we see the opinion NYSRP vs New York. Or whether the Supreme Court takes the NJ carry case march 22nd. Their "fix" to the HPRB should be to make MD shall-issue like the rest of America. And DC! But whatever, you can tell them that but they really just want to be spanked and waste money on lawsuits. Frosh still controls things from behind the scenes.

Yep and Frosh/Soph will go down kicking and screaming the whole way. You can bet that WHEN the SCOTUS upholds the 2nd Amendment, and I believe it will, then we'll see who's all about the laws that are supposed to be upheld.

Although A TON of work for a legal-type that will never amount to billable hours, MD needs the equivalent of this:
    New Jersey Gun Law
    By Evan Nappen
    523 8x11 pages. Next time someone asks about common sense gun laws, just plop one down.
    In the interim, use the New Jersey version. Ain't much different than what's on the books in MD.
    When it comes to 2A in MD, it's Democrat see, Democrat do.

The rope is on fire. All one can do is piss up the rope.
    The only relief I see is SCOTUS or jump ship.
    The more egregious the legislation, the more likely SCOTUS will hear the case.
    Anyone think of a class-action against MD for all us newly-minted-overnight felons?

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    This entire thread is really upsetting....hunters have to get licensed to hunt in many instances, I just generically thought as gun owners (and presumably 2a supporters) that everyone would keep informed. Grievous error obviously, and I need to do more to educate those I come across that identify as hunters.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This entire thread is really upsetting....hunters have to get licensed to hunt in many instances, I just generically thought as gun owners (and presumably 2a supporters) that everyone would keep informed. Grievous error obviously, and I need to do more to educate those I come across that identify as hunters.

You read this entire thread and that is what you came up with?

Me, I have to do more to educate those I come across that identify as humans, gun owners or not, hunters or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom