• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Sitting at table of 10 yesterday at a RMEF Banquet, I asked if they would register their long guns if required. Not ONE person at that table heard or read about the laws winding through Annapolis.

I was shocked, they thought I was F..ing with them. One guy goes, why would I have to register my long guns, oh my they just don't understand.

For sure there is a disconnect between some hunters & 2A.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Sitting at table of 10 yesterday at a RMEF Banquet, I asked if they would register their long guns if required. Not ONE person at that table heard or read about the laws winding through Annapolis.

I was shocked, they thought I was F..ing with them. One guy goes, why would I have to register my long guns, oh my they just don't understand.

This has been my experience as well. I have spoken to over a half dozen hunters, none of whom were aware, and some of whom once made aware actually think this infringement has no chance of passage.

I almost never watch television news nowadays, given the way it's constantly spun. I do wonder however, just how much air time this issue is receiving.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    It is much worse than I thought in that regard. New bills need to be relayed to the public better so the process works for the people. Most regulations on advising were made years ago when print was the way people learned of such things, now that people are looking to the cloud they do not see what they are stepping in.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sadly those guys are the 1%ers among hunters as far as wealth and education. If no one at the Elk Hunters banquet knows you can bet that no one at the squirrel hunters banquet knows about it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Most real rural folks , and that’s who a majority of the hunters are, don’t spend their time trying to figure out what Annapolis is doing and to be honest there’s so little news, print or otherwise, about what the reps are proposing that if your not into spending a bunch of time looking into it then you won’t know.

And most rural folks just don’t give two fvcks what Annapolis does. They already have the “ we won’t comply” mentality and have had it for as long as I have been alive at the very least.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    And most rural folks just don’t give two fvcks what Annapolis does. They already have the “ we won’t comply” mentality and have had it for as long as I have been alive at the very least.

Sums it up.

A LOT of people I know haven't "complied" with much of anything their entire lives.

Yet, somehow....... what they do and how they move about their life has ZERO effect on others and their ability to live free also.

Weird how that works. ;)

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    It is much worse than I thought in that regard. New bills need to be relayed to the public better so the process works for the people.

But that would kind of ruin the "SURPRISE MUTHAF*CKA, where's your license?!?" aspect. What fun is that? /sarcasm

Reality is that publicity/distribution of knowledge to the rural counties is exactly what most delegates and the far left media wish to avoid. It falls on us to spread the word of the watchdogs the best we can.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Beyond that: There are at least 60,000 regulated firearms sold in MD per year (15,000 so far this year). I guess I should say app processed since a form might have more than one. Based on an eyeball survey of who is taking HQL class, there are not only a lot of people, but a lot of new shooters and the new crowd is very diverse. I dont have the numbers, but HQLs seem to be way up this year.

By the numbers, I would say <5% of people taking classes or buying firearms are aware of the bills. To be fair though, Annapolis generates a lot of heat every single year and its hard to sift through the noise to figure out what is real and what is just showboating. As an example, Van Hollerin showed up with his stroller Moms brigade a few years ago to make a big speech about his bill (preventing people on the terror watch list from buying guns IIRC) - I felt 100% sure that was going to pass but didn't.

Getting people uptight about bills that don't pass every year I believe has the "cry wolf" effect and desensitizes people. Resist the urge. I believe it backfires long term ("But you also said x,y,z,p,q,d was going to pass..."). Writing your legislator is never a bad thing, but lets face it, many of us live in Central Maryland and our representatives are the problem, and may even be sponsors of this shit. They know you exist, that you will vote against, them, they say **** you anyway.

My advice is that people should donate to NRA, MSI, etc., who work tirelessly and thanklessly to keep their ear to the ground, testify, and work the process to make changes.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I can’t tell you how many times I was in a gun shop after FSA2013 and heard “do you have your HQL?” “No, what’s that?” Was the response. That got a ton of press coverage and still most people didn’t know a thing about it.
    There is far less publicity about this but the same problem remains in getting the message out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    If you don’t spend much time online, you would not be aware of the latest attempts on infringement. I have seen positively zero mention of any of this outside of this forum and a few other online locations I frequent. I am on a few republican mailing lists after emailing over the years and I have seen zero mention of any of the latest anti-2A crusade either.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Getting people uptight about bills that don't pass every year I believe has the "cry wolf" effect and desensitizes people. Resist the urge. I believe it backfires long term ("But you also said x,y,z,p,q,d was going to pass...").
    Respectfully disagree with you here. Significant numbers of crazy bills do not become law due to, at least partially, actions of citizens. Many of them are here and very active. They write, call, protest, and/or testify. I'd rather have more people understand how ridiculous the bills are every year, so that it might influence some thought before just voting for the guy/gal with (D) behind their name, or the guy/gal who's been there (regardless of party), etc. It's true that many roll their eyes, but many others have their eyes opened.

One of the greatest gifts this forum has presented me is the know-how and ability to get more involved. I am now more aware of/knowledgeable regarding firearms laws/bills in this state. My MDS education demonstrated the ability (and responsibility) of citizens to make a difference. We all do it in our own ways, but the sum of the effort does matter.

My advice is that people should donate to NRA, MSI, etc., who work tirelessly and thanklessly to keep their ear to the ground, testify, and work the process to make changes.
    This is great advice too.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'd guess between 96-98% of people I know that have some kind of firearm hobby go "is that what the law is on that now?" and then continue on their day with zero fvcks.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'd guess between 96-98% of people I know that have some kind of firearm hobby go "is that what the law is on that now?" and then continue on their day with zero fvcks.

Which is fine until their nephew's BFF gets in a minor car accident while in possession of his friend's uncle's loaned shotgun while driving back from a back yard trap shoot, and ends up manufacturing a couple of felonies to spread around. The people who so casually brush this stuff off simply assume that it'll never get that bad. Until it does. Which in Maryland, is pretty much a given - if not this time around, than certainly during the next few sessions. They will not stop until a court forces them to.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I'd wager 90% or more have no idea. Just because its important on here and is talked about daily, doesn't mean it is anywhere else. Most hunters I know have lived outside of guns and focus on that. Hunting is a hobby, sport, something fun, or relaxing for them to do. Most people dont pay a kick of attention to what politicians do, why would they pay attention to the intricacy of the bills in Annapolis?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If you don’t spend much time online, you would not be aware of the latest attempts on infringement. I have seen positively zero mention of any of this outside of this forum and a few other online locations I frequent. I am on a few republican mailing lists after emailing over the years and I have seen zero mention of any of the latest anti-2A crusade either.

This X 1000

The ONLY reason I know about the bills that come up are because of MDS and a very, very few NRA-ILA "call to action" emails I get because I'm signed up for alerts. Your average Farmer/Hunter probably isn't on this forum and likely doesn't sign up for email alerts when the renew their NRA membership.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    There are a slew of un-informed people that don't know anything about the laws they are trying to make that will affect them . Then there are those that don't care till it's too late , it is why the BS has gone on for as long as it has the infringements and will keep happening till people wake up with a boot on their necks .

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama

This surprises you why exactly? They're called Fudds for a reason.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    People don't know about these infringements.

Does msm put it out there?

most people get their news from msm

most people are not members of Mdshooters.com

it should not be a surprise that people have no idea.

Thats kind of how they want it. MSM ignores it so they get less opposition. It's not by accident. It's by design.

NONE and I mean NONE of my friends know about any of this. You only find out by coming to a place like this and then going off and doing your own research. Unless you stumble across this, you would not know.

I came here not long ago just because I saw of some infringements in other states and found their forums.

I saw on their forums alot of shall not comply, etc.......then once those laws passed the forums took on a different tone. Now it's people talking about how to make their guns in compliance. sad really.

Then I said "let me see what we have here in md". and here I am on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom