Who wants a nation of law abiding citizens?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    "There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kinds of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted—and you create a nation of lawbreakers—and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

This is from the novel Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, published in 1957. I feel like it's spot on for 2019 in Maryland, and the Nation.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    “it is only a slight exaggeration to say that the average busy professional in this country wakes up in the morning, goes to work, comes home, takes care of personal and family obligations, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or she likely committed several federal crimes that day.”

― Harvey Silverglate, Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    "There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kinds of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted—and you create a nation of lawbreakers—and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

This is from the novel Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, published in 1957. I feel like it's spot on for 2019 in Maryland, and the Nation.

CPO, you may or may not experience a version of this type of government sanctioned "rule" that I experience in and around the various roadways I travel on to get to and from different jobs I do. But, I can't help but have my Tin Foil hat on at all the other exponential explosion of other ways the government controls us.

Now I know I feel a bit better when I am in the city if I know there are cams to capture crime and the perps, but, I cannot help but feel Big Brother everywhere else. For example, in certain and growing number of parts of town, I feel more distracted from normal driving while making sure I am not exceeding speed limits, negotiating speed humps or traffic slowing medians that squeeze a road into barely passable lanes, and my favorite game, playing Russian Roulette at intersections to time my passing thru green lights without the light suddenly turning yellow and wondering if I make it before that bright white flash goes off and my instant ticket is swiftly in the mail.

I have very definite feelings about all this "control" and what in my mind amounts to "involuntary taxation" of motorists. If the intent is really to make the roads safer, I really think it does the complete opposite in the ways it distracts us from the main goal in navigation, OBSERVING the actual roadways instead of the pitfalls of accidentally not timing a red light situation or highway construction zone speed trap...

Like I said, just more ways to control us and take our money.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I was a relative late comer to the Ayn Rand party when I read that quote a few years back. It does sum up many things .gov does.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Law abiding citizens want a nation of law abiding citizens. It is the reptiles who mean to rule us who weaponize the law as a means of control.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    CPO, you may or may not experience a version of this type of government sanctioned "rule" that I experience in and around the various roadways I travel on to get to and from different jobs I do. But, I can't help but have my Tin Foil hat on at all the other exponential explosion of other ways the government controls us.

Now I know I feel a bit better when I am in the city if I know there are cams to capture crime and the perps, but, I cannot help but feel Big Brother everywhere else. For example, in certain and growing number of parts of town, I feel more distracted from normal driving while making sure I am not exceeding speed limits, negotiating speed humps or traffic slowing medians that squeeze a road into barely passable lanes, and my favorite game, playing Russian Roulette at intersections to time my passing thru green lights without the light suddenly turning yellow and wondering if I make it before that bright white flash goes off and my instant ticket is swiftly in the mail.

I have very definite feelings about all this "control" and what in my mind amounts to "involuntary taxation" of motorists. If the intent is really to make the roads safer, I really think it does the complete opposite in the ways it distracts us from the main goal in navigation, OBSERVING the actual roadways instead of the pitfalls of accidentally not timing a red light situation or highway construction zone speed trap...

Like I said, just more ways to control us and take our money.

Friend, this is all just the beginning.

Remember when seatbelts are a secondary offense?
    now you get pulled over for not having one.

it's all just a way to ease it in.

Like playing that game "just the tip".

China tickets for jaywalking
    https://www.newsweek.com/jaywalking...veillance-will-soon-fine-citizens-text-861401
    The tech is already there.

Look, texting while driving is dangerous. I'm not going to say it's not. I am going to say that there is ultimately no limit to which .gov wants to get into your life and be able to make money off of fines etc...

driving and texting
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/12/drivers-using-phones-now-detected-cameras-law-enfo/
    https://www.dmv.org/articles/texting-driving-smile-for-the-camera/

When do they stop watching you? If there is money to be made developing the cameras, tech, ticket system etc... there will be people/companies with financial interest to sell this to lawmakers

It will come, it's just a question of when.

as a kid ____ number of years ago:

did you ever think it would be against the law to be 15 and ride your bike with no helmet?

did you ever thing that you would get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt?

Did you ever think that red light cameras would be in existance?

Did you ever think that your handheld phone would facetime friends or relatives?

Did you think you would have a gps on your handheld phone that sells information to advertising companies or that your email would be read by the provider to target advertisements to you?

Did you think India would be a cashless society?

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Confiscating guns from the people you made into criminals usually doesn't work well...

Backlog of Calif. Criminals with Guns Grows While AG Focuses on Trump Suits
    https://freebeacon.com/issues/backl...h-guns-grows-while-ag-focuses-on-trump-suits/
    California knows more than 23,000 people who may be illegally in possession of guns but only rounded up 1,246 guns last year.

California's backlog of criminals illegally in possession of firearms has grown to a record level, a report released by Attorney General Xavier Becerra on Friday shows.

The report found there are now a record 23,222 people the state has identified in the Armed and Prohibited Persons System (APPS). These are generally people California identified as those who previously purchased firearms legally before committing a crime or being subject to a restraining order that made it illegal for them to possess firearms. The people flagged by the automated system, the only one of its kind in the United States, are referred to the Bureau of Firearms within the California Department of Justice. The bureau is tasked to ensure these individuals haven't illegally retained possession of their previously owned firearms...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom