SB 008 - Is this the plastic gun bs again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Here's the wording of the bill from Joanne Benson [D]:

"Prohibiting a person from using a certain computer-aided fabrication device to manufacture a firearm; prohibiting a person from possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or receiving a firearm manufactured using a certain computer-aided fabrication device; prohibiting a person from possessing, distributing, transmitting, publishing, selling, transferring, or purchasing a certain computer control language, computer program, computer software, or computer database; establishing certain penalties; etc."

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017

"Prohibiting a person from using a certain computer-aided fabrication device to manufacture a firearm; prohibiting a person from possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or receiving a firearm manufactured using a certain computer-aided fabrication device; prohibiting a person from possessing, distributing, transmitting, publishing, selling, transferring, or purchasing a certain computer control language, computer program, computer software, or computer database; establishing certain penalties; etc."

I just love the "Certain" part. Can they please explain why "3D" Printing is better/worse than current manufacturing methods?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

That's not the wording of the bill, that's the legislative summary. But, you guys are essentially correct that it ends all non-hand-milling manufacture of firearms by non-FFLs in MD. I intend to testify against it in person, as I would be directly affected.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Worthless ignorant democrats banning something just to ban it. Has a 3D printed gun EVER been used in a crime? Not just in Maryland, but anywhere?

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Worthless ignorant democrats banning something just to ban it. Has a 3D printed gun EVER been used in a crime? Not just in Maryland, but anywhere?

I'm not the biggest fan of that argument only because the second that it is used in a crime, then they have destroyed your argument and given them power to use your words against you.

a gun is a gun is a gun is a gun. You can either ban all of them or none of them.

If you ban some guns, then you have a people divided and a people divided are not that strong. No solidarity.

I'd rather have them try and ban them all as opposed to some as I feel its the only way people would wake up and stand together to keep from being infringed. That won't happen because they know the only way to boil a frog is slowly.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    "purchasing, or receiving a firearm manufactured using a certain computer-aided fabrication device

; prohibiting a person from possessing,... a certain computer control language, computer program, computer software,"

both of these sections seem to be way over the top and reason to throw it out.

can't purchase a firearm that was made using CNC

can't own software for CNC (the summary does not specify that its only illegal if actually used to cnc a firearm)

lots of non-ffl's that use CNC for non-firearm shit.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I do believe that at the time of the writing of the Constitution, there was no mention of the legalities of owning a handmade firearm or one bought. All firearms should be covered under the 2nd Amendment. Anything less is a violation of my Rights.

Sorry, but this is not negotiable.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011

can't own software for CNC (the summary does not specify that its only illegal if actually used to cnc a firearm)

CNC is becoming more common in the home shop machinist world, particularly on small machines used for such things as model building (steam engines, back yard model railroads etc.). It is much cheaper and more user friendly than it once was. If it becomes illegal, there will be a bunch of felons created with the stroke of a pen.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015

Its for non FFLs. It targets 80% lowers. And books, is said books contain computer code needed to run mill to make a gun.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Its for non FFLs. It targets 80% lowers. And books, is said books contain computer code needed to run mill to make a gun.

SCOTUS has already ruled that code=speech, and therefore code is protected by 1A. And MDAG knows that. I have a feeling this bill will be modified somewhat before it gets voted on, if it gets voted on.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Someone in another thread had the brilliant idea (I mean that... not being sarcastic) of introducing some type of offending code as part of the written testimony, so that MGA would be in violation of the law if it were to pass.... I can't remember whose idea it was, but gold star!

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Hypothetically, why couldn't someone get any particular flavor of G-code (which is just a text file) to finish an 80% lower and print it out to be included with written testimony on this bill so that it becomes part of the official record. Then what are they gonna do?

Thank you. Thank you very much. [/Elvis]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom