• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    yeah, I am not sure I believe this part:

I find it very hard to believe that the MSP and DNR are that coordinated. "Purchasing a license" also consists of going into compass and paying money, and it is virtually instant. I highly doubt they can complete background checks that quickly. Getting a harvest confirmation is also instant. I'd bet that if it actually does happen, people are popping up on the MSP radar for other reasons.

That said, any information you give the government can be used against you and you should assume that it will be. The government is not and never shall be your friend.

It has happened on more than one occasion.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    According to the internet a lot of things have happened. As far as I am concerned, these conspiracy theories assume a level of competence by state govt I have never observed.

This is not a conspiracy theory. It has happened on more than one occasion. Just do a quick search in this forum.

Very personal example of how agencies share info. I was required to obtain an FAA drone license for business. Weeks after receiving the license, I get a notice from the MD Comptroller's office asking if I paid tax on the purchase of said drone 2 years prior.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    According to the internet a lot of things have happened. As far as I am concerned, these conspiracy theories assume a level of competence by state govt I have never observed.
    :D

th

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I think many here are missing the point of why Red Maryland was like WTF guys.

Red Maryland regurgitated an article from the Hagerstown Herald. The original article was in line with what the Herald spit out.

The original article (from RM) was a very bland article with almost ZERO editorial except for saying Hogan is trying to move the ball forward even though it may not be as fast as some would like. It was clearly a "heres some news to fill our site" article.

Period.

It was not an investigative piece, nor was it intended to be an editorial. Its intention was to simply have a post published for activity sake, hence the benign article.

What happened after, which several people have been warned about MANY times, is that instead of sending a corrective email about what is really going on, you blasted them saying they fabricated this, did that, etc. There point in the how not to win friends and influence people was exactly spot on. Many people here in the 2A community just dont give a rip about their perception when battling these issues and it makes the ENTIRE group look like a "cult". The people making the decisions are not backyard bob. You must present these issues with class....and yes sending a video from a "Mr BoomStick" is not class. A video from James G would have been fine, but really....come on man.

Then you ended up in a pseudo social media war with them - which they enjoy and brings more attention to their site.

We all knew that the Herald was a bad piece but no one stormed their castle like they did with Red Maryland. Do I think Greg Kline was a bit of a putz about his response - yes, however so were the people beating the drum over in 2A land.

Point is RM regurgitated an article and had no ill intention except to fill their site with what was an originally benign boring piece.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Funny line, but this sort of coordination doesn't require much effort if the state police are motivated and the DNR is willing, especially given information provided them carries no presumption of privacy (and is collected to ensure compliance with state regs). If there are data, it's within the realm of believability.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Funny line, but this sort of coordination doesn't require much effort if the state police are motivated and the DNR is willing, especially given information provided them carries no presumption of privacy (and is collected to ensure compliance with state regs). If there are data, it's within the realm of believability.

Please note that DNR has a very active LE component, so direct LE to LE communication would be entirely plausible and possible, and difficult for DNR LE to refuse.

:innocent0

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Red Maryland regurgitated an article from the Hagerstown Herald. The original article was in line with what the Herald spit out.

The original article (from RM) was a very bland article with almost ZERO editorial except for saying Hogan is trying to move the ball forward even though it may not be as fast as some would like. It was clearly a "heres some news to fill our site" article.

Period.

It was not an investigative piece, nor was it intended to be an editorial. Its intention was to simply have a post published for activity sake, hence the benign article.

What happened after, which several people have been warned about MANY times, is that instead of sending a corrective email about what is really going on, you blasted them saying they fabricated this, did that, etc. There point in the how not to win friends and influence people was exactly spot on. Many people here in the 2A community just dont give a rip about their perception when battling these issues and it makes the ENTIRE group look like a "cult". The people making the decisions are not backyard bob. You must present these issues with class....and yes sending a video from a "Mr BoomStick" is not class. A video from James G would have been fine, but really....come on man.

Then you ended up in a pseudo social media war with them - which they enjoy and brings more attention to their site.

We all knew that the Herald was a bad piece but no one stormed their castle like they did with Red Maryland. Do I think Greg Kline was a bit of a putz about his response - yes, however so were the people beating the drum over in 2A land.

Point is RM regurgitated an article and had no ill intention except to fill their site with what was an originally benign boring piece.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I stopped reading RM after about a month due to lack of substance. Just my opinion. Take it as you will.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Interesting to me, is the vigorous details about all their friends in the governor's office, that gave them all the juicy dirt on Blasberg.
    But they never used those same connections and friends to verify their claims about changes on carry permits?

Im starting to do the math here. I think maybe the chicken came before the egg on this one guys.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

And if the databases talk to each other, and there is a budget for IT... Comparing a database of criminal records with another database of 100k people people sounds simple. We know how hard this was from the 2013 backlog of 77rs and from implementing the HQL process. Pretty hard. Also, my recollection is that the phone system of logging a harvest was separate from COMPASS initially, and your harvest confirmed by phone would not show up online.

They might be able to do this now, but I am pretty skeptical they could do this pre-HQL. To have an alert pop up on someones desk automatically as the theory suggests, either COMPASS has to have up to date criminal records each and every day, or MSP has to get harvest information each and every day. Then there is a little bot that sends an alert to someone. I am not even sure we can do that for actual criminals when they show up for court.

What I would believe is that people were on the radar for other reasons, either by the DNR or by MSP, and they got together and with some digging, reverse engineered a case manually through investigation. Of course, those other reasons are often left out. I am not at all saying that agencies do not share info. I am just skeptical that there is some sort of real-time comparison of harvest confirmations and criminal records that leads to a 4am raid the day after you shoot a deer.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Interesting to me, is the vigorous details about all their friends in the governor's office, that gave them all the juicy dirt on Blasberg.

But they never used those same connections and friends to verify their claims about changes on carry permits?

Im starting to do the math here. I think maybe the chicken came before the egg on this one guys.

Thought the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

Period.

Except RM added the part about the concealed carry cult. I believe he also added the part about MSI or other groups barging into meetings.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Except RM added the part about the concealed carry cult. I believe he also added the part about MSI or other groups barging into meetings.

I listened to the show last night, yes again were they being a putz - yes.

Now only Dan can confirm the way in which he or any members he may have known about has presented themselves to the elected body.

Im simply saying that whomever was included in the tar and feathering of RM for the original article got a bit amped and over excited - which again feeds into the attention and social media play that RM enjoys.

Attention is a good thing - dont think for a second RM resents the conversation.

What it did show was that Boomstick and friends do not know how to engage in an educational conversation which spurred RM to be RM in their social media responses.

These are political junkies, they get into it all...the...time... They do not ease into a conversation when someone comes at them. They meet it head on - hence why this stupid article lead to a blow up.

Guys - it really is incredibly dumb. Anyone can see that the original article was benign and certain 2A people attacked RM for a dumb benign article.

What ensued after is fair game.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    To hear Jack explain it in depth, its just a trooper combing through DNR harvest records, and trying to match names to criminal records. No legitimate investigation, just trolling for hits while sitting at a desk.

There's no complex computer program or anything. Just easy busts on non violent offenders in the mountains of western MD, while west baltimore is a warzone.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    To hear Jack explain it in depth, its just a trooper combing through DNR harvest records, and trying to match names to criminal records. No legitimate investigation, just trolling for hits while sitting at a desk.

There's no complex computer program or anything. Just easy busts on non violent offenders in the mountains of western MD, while west baltimore is a warzone.

So: One trooper in Garrett county with loads of free time has become: a vast conspiracy of the MSP and the DNR coordinating and checking harvest records against criminal records, followed by the 4am swat raid.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    A few questions;

Do Troopers get evaluated, promoted or otherwise incentivized based on the number of guns seized?

What about arrests and/or criminal convictions, isn't that a better yardstick?

What is wrong with scheduling a daytime appointment at the barracks or residence with the alleged offender to turn in his rifle?

Do Troopers or SWAT teams get overtime pay for 4:30am raids?

Aren't 4:30 am SWAT raids incredibly dangerous for all parties, the public and innocent pets?

Do the State Police track calls for special team & equipment use, such as Bearcats - and do they use such statistics to justify their budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    And if the databases talk to each other, and there is a budget for IT... Comparing a database of criminal records with another database of 100k people people sounds simple. We know how hard this was from the 2013 backlog of 77rs and from implementing the HQL process. Pretty hard. Also, my recollection is that the phone system of logging a harvest was separate from COMPASS initially, and your harvest confirmed by phone would not show up online.

They might be able to do this now, but I am pretty skeptical they could do this pre-HQL. To have an alert pop up on someones desk automatically as the theory suggests, either COMPASS has to have up to date criminal records each and every day, or MSP has to get harvest information each and every day. Then there is a little bot that sends an alert to someone. I am not even sure we can do that for actual criminals when they show up for court.

What I would believe is that people were on the radar for other reasons, either by the DNR or by MSP, and they got together and with some digging, reverse engineered a case manually through investigation. Of course, those other reasons are often left out. I am not at all saying that agencies do not share info. I am just skeptical that there is some sort of real-time comparison of harvest confirmations and criminal records that leads to a 4am raid the day after you shoot a deer.

Who said this? As you note, it's well within their capabilities to check hunting tags, forward this information on, and let MSP evaluate whether a prohibited person has a firearm. This sort of competence/coordination are entirely possible by the state.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I listened to the show last night, yes again were they being a putz - yes.

Now only Dan can confirm the way in which he or any members he may have known about has presented themselves to the elected body.

Im simply saying that whomever was included in the tar and feathering of RM for the original article got a bit amped and over excited - which again feeds into the attention and social media play that RM enjoys.

Attention is a good thing - dont think for a second RM resents the conversation.

What it did show was that Boomstick and friends do not know how to engage in an educational conversation which spurred RM to be RM in their social media responses.

These are political junkies, they get into it all...the...time... They do not ease into a conversation when someone comes at them. They meet it head on - hence why this stupid article lead to a blow up.

Guys - it really is incredibly dumb. Anyone can see that the original article was benign and certain 2A people attacked RM for a dumb benign article.

What ensued after is fair game.

Insightful post re RM perspective and welcoming attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom