• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    When Constitutional decided to close the owner notified customers of his reasons. The top of the list was the new restrictions, but he also said that the business was more of a hobby than a livelihood for him, so he didn't want to compete with the people who were doing it for a living.

Paul was a class act all the way through and an honorable guy.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    More than one on the list were borderline before SB281 passed, as Norton alluded to. They probably would have folded regardless.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    We are seeing more and more customers from far flung areas of MD who say they came to us because their regular/long time/preferred dealer closed their doors.

At the end of the day this situation is bad for buyers and good for whoever is left standing. Fewer choices, less competition, higher prices.

You can run to the Internet, but somebody still has to transfer it for you, and if numbers get low enough, surviving dealers could ask insane prices for transfer fees. At the end of the day, you pay one way or another.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole ; I'm just talking about the unpleasant reality.

Chriss613

Jul 21, 2012
    Constitutional's closing really was a bummer; Paul was a very pleasant guy to do business with. I work in Maple Lawn, so it was also was great having a gun shop within sight of where I work.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Gun store

IIRC, Richard decided to close the shop, knowing that he would no linger be able to sell AR's and build custom AK's for people. He re-opened under Frederick Arsenal, specializing in Class III items and just does transfers for people.

Just talked with him a couple weeks ago very nice gentleman. He Only does long gun now.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    To be really thorough wouldn't you need to tally any new gun shops that have opened too. The obvious example is United Gun shop in Rockville. Also Machine Gun Nest (indoor range and store) is supposed to open in Frederick in the coming months. I'm sure more are closing than opening, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Constitutional's closing really was a bummer; Paul was a very pleasant guy to do business with. I work in Maple Lawn, so it was also was great having a gun shop within sight of where I work.

I too work in Maple Lawn. You might recognize the enormous guitar.

Paul and his shop were great, and being that close made my lunch breaks much better. I've actually shot Steel Challenge with his family. They are all great shooters. Thanks again Paul!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Forgot the nowadays name for it but Colonial Arms was one of my favorites in Glen Burnie. Stammer's in Pasadena used to sell guns as well

Arundel Firearms...it was bought by Phil when the previous owner was shot and killed during a robbery attempt IIRC. Arundel Had opened over by Greenway prior to purchasing Colonial

I bought a Ruger Mark II from Stammers back in the 80's.

When I was young the oldtimers used to frequent Pipers or Pfifers or some such name as that....they were on Mountain Rd in Pasadena near Waterford and Solley Roads.

My favorite local stores are Scotts Gunsmithing, A&D Firearms and Pawn and Barts. I've also driven a bit out of my way to buy from Tylers

These days I'm more likely to look for quality used firearms especially (but not limited to) C&Rs

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Arundel Firearms...it was bought by Phil when the previous owner was shot and killed during a robbery attempt IIRC. Arundel Had opened over by Greenway prior to purchasing Colonial

I bought a Ruger Mark II from Stammers back in the 80's.

When I was young the oldtimers used to frequent Pipers or Pfifers or some such name as that....they were on Mountain Rd in Pasadena near Waterford and Solley Roads.

My favorite local stores are Scotts Gunsmithing, A&D Firearms and Pawn and Barts. I've also driven a bit out of my way to buy from Tylers

These days I'm more likely to look for quality used firearms especially (but not limited to) C&Rs

Remember Al's Tavern? Shitload of guns nailed all over the walls, some NICE stuff....... I heard that was nothing compared to what he had at home. Beer, guns and a pool table.... what could go wrong? :lol2:

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    IIRC, Richard decided to close the shop, knowing that he would no linger be able to sell AR's and build custom AK's for people. He re-opened under Frederick Arsenal, specializing in Class III items and just does transfers for people.

That is correct, he runs his business from his house now. Still another brick and mortar store gone.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Gun Rack was a combination of FSA2013, lease was up, FFL needed renewing, and the owner just wanted to retire.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Christian Soldier also was not a 'full time' gun store. The hours were variable around the owners regular job.

The list looks more and more like closings of the marginal stores (hobbyists, part timers, etc) than actual fully functional, full service, full time gun shops.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I think customer service killed as many as the new gun laws.

Huh. Ya think?

I know of at least one more I'm waiting to see fail over that. Apparently theres juuuuuust enough people left in Delaware that like being treated like shit every time they call or step foot into the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom