• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Harbor Freight works okay. It's on sale for $549 now, and you can always find at least a 20% off coupon.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    One thing wrong in your list.

You do not HAVE to retain it for your own use. If a pistol, to sell it, it needs to be on the handgun roster. But for a MD legal rifle, you can sell it.

BUT, the rules do say that you cannot make them FOR sale. So one? No problem. Make and sell some number larger than 1, who knows.

Face to face transfers do not need to be on the Handgun roster that I am aware of. The roster is for new firearms sales.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Face to face transfers do not need to be on the Handgun roster that I am aware of. The roster is for new firearms sales.

Needs to be on the roster. There is no face to face sales of handguns in MD. All sales through FFL or MSP

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Needs to be on the roster. There is no face to face sales of handguns in MD. All sales through FFL or MSP

Selling a firearm at MSP is face to face (for that matter doing at so an FFL is as well), and the MSP does not hold your firearm pending approval (and an FFL doesn't either).

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Selling a firearm at MSP is face to face (for that matter doing at so an FFL is as well), and the MSP does not hold your firearm pending approval (and an FFL doesn't either).

Face to face is with no middleman. Just you and the person buying/selling from you. Rifle sales in MD are all face to face now, but not handguns.

Edit: I just looked it up. The proper terminology is "private sale" not "face to face". In MD there are no "pivate sales" of handguns.

ylexot

Apr 5, 2014

MSP does not hold it, but there is a mandatory waiting period before the seller can give the gun over to the buyer. I've gone through it before.

Different topic... so, are 16" 5.56 lightweight/pencil barrel profiles legal on 80% lowers? Or are HBAR profiles the only legal ones?

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Actually my FFL friend IS a good guy. And no it came up in unrelated conversation, with no sales pitches of any type involved.

Yes I know what the law involved is. But the ATF IS telling dealers face to face that all post '68 firearms must have s/n even if homemade. Not saying they are correct, just that they are saying so.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Actually my FFL friend IS a good guy. And no it came up in unrelated conversation, with no sales pitches of any type involved.

Yes I know what the law involved is. But the ATF IS telling dealers face to face that all post '68 firearms must have s/n even if homemade. Not saying they are correct, just that they are saying so.

It wouldn't be the first time an ATF inspector has been wrong. The ATF tech branch and their letters are the only ones I'll give any credence, and even then it's taken critically. Knowing and reading the law for yourself gives you all the more confidence when encountering situations like this.

Everything is online these days, nothing stopping you from reading. ;)

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Just get yourself a nice drill press with a multi axes vice and base. It'll definitely come in handy with all those AK pistol builds. ;)

Mills are just too damn expensive to justify chewing up a few lowers. Get a typical router for finishing up after the drill press. Modulus Arms makes a good kit. Notice how the only real hard part was the drill. Can't beat a good press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7ACLdya4A

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've never done one but I think doing one on a mill would be way easier if you could find the correct size end mills such that you get the proper length of cut while letting the non-cutting shank ride the edge of the jig template. My understanding is that those specific size end mills are hard to find.

buktseat

Shootist, Gent, Scholar
    Sep 30, 2014
    Westminster
    I've never done one but I think doing one on a mill would be way easier if you could find the correct size end mills such that you get the proper length of cut while letting the non-cutting shank ride the edge of the jig template. My understanding is that those specific size end mills are hard to find.

Some of the kits (Ares Armor's poly lower, for example) come with everything you need.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Check into 80 Percent Arms easy-Jig as well as the Modulus jig. Both are designed to use a router and produce a clean product. A Modulus will work with any paper weight.

Depends on the jig, but a 1" cutting surface works perfect for a Modulus jig. Otherwise, you would have to leave some material until you got down deep enough to follow the contour of the jig.

Elevation

Dec 15, 2014
    how do you find someone who can help me mill an lower 80% complete on their equipment? I only have one I want to drill out, but do not have the equipment. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom