• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No Pinecone is correct. That wording is from the 2013 FSA statute. Applies to all center fire rifles .The wording says more than one so two is also prohibited

Sorry for my error. I should know better

Last edited:

ComradeCoolio

Apr 7, 2019
    Hello all. It looks like i may be moving to Maryland. Before everyone piles on with the obligatory “Don’t move to Maryland” responses, I’m young and starting out. The job I’m trying to take sets me and my wife up pretty well for the future and we can very easily move back to a real part of America in a couple of years.

I have an M&P Sport II which is banned as it is enumerated as a copycat. As HBARs as legal, would it be fine to throw a heavy barrel onto it to put it in the same configuration as an HBAR? If not, could I change the gas system or caliber? The DDM4-V11 PRO is legal there, so I wonder if I could match that up with a few features and call it good.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    What area is the job in? You may be in commuting distance from VA, PA, DEL, etc. The laws just keep getting worse here. Even though the job sets you up. Once you get engrained into a community with kids, friends, etc, it becomes harder and harder to move. A couple of years may turn into 15 or 20. My youngest just started high school. My middle will be a senior next year. I will not uproot them. Once out of high school, I am so out of here. This coming from a born and raised, life long resident (57 years) of the PRK of MD.
    If you can stand the commute, you may have a better choice.

ComradeCoolio

Apr 7, 2019
    The job is around Pax River. I already looked at commuting from VA but that would just be too expensive and take up too much time each day. I understand reality of it being harder and harder to move as time goes on, but my wife and I have family in the PNW (which has great gun laws for such a liberal region). For a variety of reasons, we want to end up back around there.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you are going to be on base or near it, I will let Southern MDers chime in. There are some good shops down that way.
    I would leave your MP with family and get a MD compliant when you get here. Any handguns need to be registered as well within a certain time frame. I believe it is 90 day, but IANAL.
    Good luck with your move. stick around on here. Some good folks that can help you find the way...

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    If you are going to be on base or near it, I will let Southern MDers chime in. There are some good shops down that way.
    I would leave your MP with family and get a MD compliant when you get here. Any handguns need to be registered as well within a certain time frame. I believe it is 90 day, but IANAL.
    Good luck with your move. stick around on here. Some good folks that can help you find the way...
    I would ask several gun dealers in St. Mary's County what he/she thinks would pass the statutes on the HBAR. I would also join Maryland Shall Issue (www.marylandshallissue.org )and ask the leadership what the law will allow and how you should proceed. Costs $25 and is a good organization. Last resort, as previously posted by sundazes, is to sell there and buy again here but there may be a way to swap barrels and legally keep it. Ref registration, get on the MD State Police page and read the most current requirements. Don't go by what they tell you on the phone - - - some folks there don't know what they are talking about when it comes to gun laws.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    If the non HBAR was owned prior to 10-1-13 you man continue to possess it.

It will need to be registered with MSP within 90 days of establishing residency.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

So how does this work if one moves to Maryland but maintains residency elsewhere (FL in my case), in accordance with the SCRA? Must my wife and I still register handguns/pistols? The link has been down for the past couple of days, at least for me..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IANAL but maybe even if you are not a resident, you can register it. I would not do so unless an attorney advises you to do so however. You can bring the weapon into MD if you legally possessed it before 10-1-13 however.

Again IANAL but if you are not a resident, nothing prevents you from bringing it to MD if you legally possessed it before 10-1-13

Perhaps consult an attorney here in MD.

A member here, Ed Hershon is a knowledgeable 2A attorney.

I have no connection to his practice

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So how does this work if one moves to Maryland but maintains residency elsewhere (FL in my case), in accordance with the SCRA? Must my wife and I still register handguns/pistols? The link has been down for the past couple of days, at least for me..

How are you moving to MD but not establishing residency?

The only legal ways to do that are:

1) Active Duty Military on orders.

2) Full Time student

3) Not living in MD at least 185 days per year

If you fall into one of those categories, you do not have to establish residency and do not have to register.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The job is around Pax River. I already looked at commuting from VA but that would just be too expensive and take up too much time each day. I understand reality of it being harder and harder to move as time goes on, but my wife and I have family in the PNW (which has great gun laws for such a liberal region). For a variety of reasons, we want to end up back around there.

Wondering where in the PNW??? I used to live in Longview/Kelso part of WA State and have family in The Dalles, Or, and Coeur d'Alene ID as well.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    How are you moving to MD but not establishing residency?

The only legal ways to do that are:

1) Active Duty Military on orders.

2) Full Time student

3) Not living in MD at least 185 days per year

If you fall into one of those categories, you do not have to establish residency and do not have to register.

#1.

Do you have a source or more information on this? From what I've seen, the wording is "residents" must register. If I was anywhere firearm friendly, I'd lean towards it meaning carriers of that states ID/where taxes are paid/registered to vote. But since we're talking MD, I, unfortunately, would be led to believe anyone who isn't staying at a hotel or in some other obviously short term situation, ie 'residing' in MD, is classified as a resident.

Edit: I guess I stand corrected? "person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency." I've moved into Maryland obviously, but have absolutely no (none, nada, zero, zilch) intention of becoming a voter here or tax payer here.

Double edit: 'resident' could still simply be interpreted as someone living in MD, and as 90 days after the 'residing' began... Clear as mud. Typical.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Don’t reregister your car, don’t register to vote and don’t get a Maryland DL! As a retiree who PCS’d here from California prior to retirement in 94 I did nothing to change until I had to when I retired. Then you had to get Md DL and establish residency. One of the darkest days of my life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom