• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    here is the AG opinion on enclosed holster.

Thank you. So holstering the unloaded handgun in a spare holster with just compression fit retention and then in a computer bag lets say is good enough?

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County
    Correct.

I took Mike to mean 'not in the gun', a.k.a not loaded; when he said separated.

More than a couple folks here in the past have suggested that it is perfectly legal to carry an unloaded pistol (in an enclosed holster) on ones hip, and loaded magazine in your pocket, in a mag pouch on belt, or heck even in your hand, as long as its not in the firearm, that's legal. Some folks refer to this as California carry. I don't have an opinion on this; but its a hell of a thing to have to think about when the state makes it so hard for non-prohibited (i.e. law-abiding) citizen to to exercise your rights!

This is my interpretation of the actual written statute as well, however, without a W&C I would be hesitant to 'try my luck,' unless I were retired, independently wealthy, and specifically looking to act to challenge the law through my actions, i.e. the Rosa Parks of MD gun transport laws.

Edit- this was also the opinion of the gentleman who taught my W&C class, though most of the classroom remained skeptical.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Enclosed case or holster
    I was referring to those that do not have a concealed carry permit. I just get into my car, and sometimes put one of my pistols in the side compartment of my car, since I have a VA concealed carry permit.

From the VA State Police website:

As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pinecone-you are correct-it does state ammo, not magazines. I assumed the magazines would be loaded, thereby requiring separation.

I added the DNR statute to an earlier post.

Yes, and yes.

But it seems that some people do not read entire threads. So just getting it stated again.

And I understood what you were thinking, but again, writing to those who are not as familiar.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    it says a firearm "containing" a loaded magazine. So I don't see it in conflict with the AG ruling.

A stand alone magazine is not "contained" in the firearm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom