What can I buy at the Harrisburg Gun Show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zsg729

Mar 7, 2007
    I know very little about MD gun laws and this is obviously the place to ask. If I go up to the Gun Show in Harrisburg this weekend what can I come home with? I'm pretty sure a hand gun is out of the question. But what about a rifle or shot gun? I assume that ammo, mags, etc. are OK.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    My understanding is that most "assault" style rifles are cash and carry at that show. If one vendor says no, try another. MD laws on this subject are open to some interpretation, especially when concerning heavy barrel AR-15's.

High capacity mags will be there and it is legal for you to buy them. The law states they can not sell or transfer >20 rd mags in MD but it in NOT illegal to possess them, so buy as many as you like.

Ammo is fine, no restrictions.

All shotguns and non-"assault" style rifles are cash and carry, no problem. You would not be able to buy handguns there unless they are willing to hold it for the waiting period. If a MD dealer is there, he could probably sell you a handgun and have you pick it up from his MD shop the following week.

hope this helps.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Be very careful with any regulated firearms or copycats.

With a very few exceptions the only one that is exempt from the Md Pistol process and waiting period is the Heavy Barrel AR....make sure you get a receipt that clearly shows that it is an HBAR to cover your posterior.

For a list of Assault Weapons go to: http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf

zsg729

Mar 7, 2007
    Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. You guys are great!

Just one point of clarification on rifles and shot guns. When you say "cash and carry" does that mean I don't have to fill out any paper work? If so, does this apply to MD guns show too?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

Just one point of clarification on rifles and shot guns. When you say "cash and carry" does that mean I don't have to fill out any paper work? If so, does this apply to MD guns show too?

No such thing as cash and carry......you need to do an FFL on it....

To be honest you might find it quite a bit easier to just purchase locally

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member

Cash and carry means you just have to fill out the simple one page ATF form. They call it in right there and you can take it with you from the show. Cash and carry is just saying you don't have to go through any extended wait time or background check. You can take the gun home that day.

At MD shows, anything that is not specifically regulated by the state would be okay to take home that day. Hand guns and what they term "assault" rifles would be subject to the seven day wait list.

Pennsylvania does not subject "assault" style rifles to any extra wait list. I've been told by friends that most dealers at this show will sell to MD folks cash and carry but be careful because depending on what you are getting, you may be breaking MD law as soon as you cross back into state.

Safest advice - if you are looking to buy an assault-style rifle, it's probably best to do it here in Maryland to cover you ass. Other rifles, shotguns, ammo, and mags are all fine to buy at the Penn show.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom