• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    After we exited the hearing the aides for Rice and the Delegate that sponsored the Montgomery County Pre-emption (sp) approached us....we all talked for a few minutes and Rice's aide requested copies of John J's PIA to MSP showing essentially no SCAW's involved in violent crime.

The other aide indicated that apparently the pre-emption bill is not going anywhere...I'm not sure I believe him as it may just be a ploy to try to get us off his back....he said he's getting a LOT of calls from us. One of the reps from the Eastern Shore I believe wanted to add an amendment that would basically allow them CCW or something equally distasteful to PG/MG and BC....<lol> sounds like its going into someones drawer....it was pretty funny to hear him whine about it not being fair that they tried to use THEIR bill as a vehicle to get what they wanted....

Delegate Rice is a RABID anti....I've never seen that much open/irrational hostility/unprofessional behavior before....it makes me wonder how he got elected.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    it was pretty funny to hear him whine about it not being fair that they tried to use THEIR bill as a vehicle to get what they wanted....

They're just pissed that we turned their dirty tricks around on them.

Delegate Rice is a RABID anti....I've never seen that much open/irrational hostility/unprofessional behavior before....it makes me wonder how he got elected.

Pretty amazing isn't it? The first time you encounter one of these people in the flesh, it is pretty bizarre. You would never imagine yourself coming face to face with a caricature like that for real. I remember the first time that I ever saw the Gail Gunn creature in action like it was yesterday.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I really haven't said much about this, but I live in the district adjacent to Rice's. My dad is the chairman of the Germantown Democratic Club, and I have met Craig Rice on several occasions. I have been to State Senator Rob Garagiola's house as well (Rice was there too). They seemed like nice people, and on a lot of issues we agree.

Now my dad and I are VERY disappointed in this legislation they are supporting. We would like to speak with them and try to convince them otherwise, maybe our loose friendship (we had spent MANY hours in the last few years helping getting them elected by handing out fliers, posting outside of grocery stores, etc.) can affect things in the future. But for now it seems they are all pretty against any weaponry of any kind.

We haven't spoken to them about these issues. I wonder what would happen if they find some of their (seemingly) biggest supporters own assault weapons, support shall-issue CCW and castle doctrine laws, and are opposed to any more trampling of 2A rights. Maybe we can invite a few of these Delegates and Senators to the next meeting to bring this to the table.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    We haven't spoken to them about these issues. I wonder what would happen if they find some of their (seemingly) biggest supporters own assault weapons, support shall-issue CCW and castle doctrine laws, and are opposed to any more trampling of 2A rights. Maybe we can invite a few of these Delegates and Senators to the next meeting to bring this to the table.

:thumbsup:

Definitely worth a shot. A look at the sponsors of the House CCW bill should tell people that gun rights isn't always a partisan issue. We've had 36 states go shall issue with 3 that don't require a permit to begin with. They can't all be red states.

I sometimes get a vibe that outside of gun owners and the anti-gun rights activists and politicians, most people just don't care about this issue as much as they might have a few years ago. The moderate citizens might support gun control if casually asked, but aren't going to be writing in and phoning support or opposition either way or using it to choose between candidates for office. Little comfort to us while a few politicians and activists are enough to decide state policy of course, but it does give hope one day the politicians will realize that they don't have to adopt an anti-gun rights platform to win votes but will lose them for doing so.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I may carry immense weight. A lot of these grabbers get themselves inthe mindset as being carrying the fight to the "gun lobby" and standing up for the "best interests of the people". It might just through a wrench into their little pre-conceived world to find out that they are beginning to attack the very people who have been helping them.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    (K-Rom from THR here with my first post)

I second the idea that you will be a good source of info to Rice. Any time we can come out of the closet to educate anti-gun-owners that they are anti-their own friends helps to paint their actions in a new light. Would you want to gore your buddies' oxes, or the ox of the caricature your think you know? Plus, he might be more willing to listen to a friendly voice. This friendly approach seems to be working with one of my delegates (the other two appear to be lost causes).

I tried this argue-from-their-side approach in the House CCW hearings, and it may have done some good. I started off my oral testimony by indicating that I was a liberal democrat and supported CCW reform. I noticed that a couple of slouching committee members straightened up and seemed to pay attention to my testimony. Is this wishful thinking? Who knows, but it sure couldn't have hurt.

If I remember right, Rice barely squeaked by Jean Cryor-(R) in the election by like 50 votes, almost as close as Dwyer's re-election. His district is in the pretty conservative and rural western end of MoCo(!). I was told that a lot of Republican voters voted for him to punish Cryor from being a supposed "RINO." A lot of good that did. Maybe those same voters will vote Rice OUT next time if he doesn't get his act together.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Welcome K-Romulus,

I'm glad to see that you made it over from THR.

BusDriver

Livin the hillbilly dream
    Feb 28, 2007
    The Hill Country
    (K-Rom from THR here with my first post)

I second the idea that you will be a good source of info to Rice. Any time we can come out of the closet to educate anti-gun-owners that they are anti-their own friends helps to paint their actions in a new light. Would you want to gore your buddies' oxes, or the ox of the caricature your think you know? Plus, he might be more willing to listen to a friendly voice. This friendly approach seems to be working with one of my delegates (the other two appear to be lost causes).

I tried this argue-from-their-side approach in the House CCW hearings, and it may have done some good. I started off my oral testimony by indicating that I was a liberal democrat and supported CCW reform. I noticed that a couple of slouching committee members straightened up and seemed to pay attention to my testimony. Is this wishful thinking? Who knows, but it sure couldn't have hurt.

If I remember right, Rice barely squeaked by Jean Cryor-(R) in the election by like 50 votes, almost as close as Dwyer's re-election. His district is in the pretty conservative and rural western end of MoCo(!). I was told that a lot of Republican voters voted for him to punish Cryor from being a supposed "RINO." A lot of good that did. Maybe those same voters will vote Rice OUT next time if he doesn't get his act together.

First , I always tell folks never vote in anger . Ya might get more problems than you bargin for . Second , In my dicussions with (D) folks about 2A topics I always hear "I didn't know that " when it comes to stats and what thier folks try to pass of as truth . One evening I was on my soap box and one person said " well I am a (D) but I want to buy a hand gun ". My reply was then you better write to your Rep. and voice your opinion about this anti-gun philosophy that is rampent in your party in this state . That person was female by the way . My point is that we have got to get the word out to the non engaged that are members of the (D) party and get them fired up ,at least the ones on our side . I wasn't a one issue type until after this election . I voted straight (R) this time because I knew what was going to happen as soon as these , for a lack of a better term , Sh&^ for Brains, got into power . :mad54: All I can do is write ,call and follow your lead and try to inform as many as I can . I say thank you to all who take the time to testify on our behalf .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom