• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think it will be difficult to determine if the prices are "good" until you know when the pistol was manufactured. If its a rebuilt WW2 vintage with limited rebuilding, then the prices may be spot on. If they are rebuilt 70's or 80's pistols, then their asking prices may crazy high.

That also may be why they will not accept the C&R FFL, they don't want to do the research to be sure it really is a C&R and are employing the ancient art of CYA.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I don't know what the going rate is, but I agree that the CMP's prices are not high for 1911s/1911A1s. I'm by no means up on prices, but I think you can easily spend 2-3 times what CMP is charging for a pistol in nice condition. In fact, I'd be pretty surprised if you could find anything decent for $1,050 these days. I have a 1944 Remington-Rand 1911A1 for which I paid $1,260 a few years ago. It is in very good condition other than a very small area of pitting on the slide. It was correct except for the barrel (which I've replaced) and a commercial magazine with some corrosion (I need to find a correct mag). I felt that was a good price for what I got.

Thanks, yeah that sounds more in line with what I was thinking prices would be, $1100 for a service grade (depending on actual condition) after transfer fees didn't sound too crazy for a 1911a1 straight out of army storage... If someone knows where to find them cheaper I'm all ears

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I think it will be difficult to determine if the prices are "good" until you know when the pistol was manufactured. If its a rebuilt WW2 vintage with limited rebuilding, then the prices may be spot on. If they are rebuilt 70's or 80's pistols, then their asking prices may crazy high.

That also may be why they will not accept the C&R FFL, they don't want to do the research to be sure it really is a C&R and are employing the ancient art of CYA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't no more 1911 pistols built for the military past 1945? Even if they were refurbished later that doesn't change the fact they were originally made during WWII.

Agree that the amount of rebuilding would affect pricing

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't no more 1911 pistols built for the military past 1945?

That is my understanding as well. No more 1911's were purchased post WW2. All the Gov't 1911's were rebuilt at the armory and redistributed to the troops.
    Pretty sure I read that on several different sites.
    I would love to have one, but money is tight, and $850 for a Rack Grade, along with transfers and such.......nah.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'm sort of on the fence over this one. $1100 seems kind of steep if it turns out to be a total 1980s mix master rebuild, but a total score if it turns out to be mostly original. I'm sure the mostly original pieces will go to auction.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I can understand the $1050 for one in good condition, but $850 for something that's rusted and needs work is a joke.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I think it comes down to what you want. If you want a gunsmith to build you a shooter, why not just start out with a Caspian or STI frame for $250-300 (from Brownell's)? The only difference... and it could be a big one for some folks... the one's from CMP will be stamped "Property of US" on the frame. How much is the history worth to you? I could see maybe throwing the dice and getting a cool piece of history for $1100+ (base price + shipping +FFL fees), but a rack grade mix of parts for $900+ that will need to have pitting and surface rust ground and refinished? IDK

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Judging by what I see price wise, I'll pass. As a vet who was issued a 1911A1, I would like to have picked one up from CMP but, I will not lose any sleep over it.
    On the plus side, the 1911's I have are in pristine condition so, I'll be smiling all the way to the bank, if I ever decide to part with any of them.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Yea, I'm out also, too much money for luck of the draw. I did well for a few years with luck of the draw Garands but stopped doing CMP mail order after the last 2 Service Grades were bottom of the grade, not willing to gamble 1100.00 sight unseen.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I don’t think I seen it mentioned yet but if I understand how the CMP is going to sell these, once you get picked they give you a call and you get to pick what they have left which could only be rack grades if the service and field grades have sold out. Once the form comes out it will be interesting to see how the have it. My guess is you will only be able to order a 1911 and not specifying and grade as when they call you they will tell you what is available.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    More likely they will let you order what you want and if that grade is sold out give you the opportunity to change to another grade if available.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    This is from the CMP 1911 sales page and if you have a higher order number you may not have anything but rack grade available to you! If you decline I’m left to wonder if you order will be tossed or put back in the front of line for the next batch of 1911’s whenever they might be releases or will you have resubmit another order at that time?

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

“Customer names from complete CMP 1911 order form packets will be fed into a computerized Random Number Generator on 5 October 2018. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequential order through the random picking process. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator. The CMP 1911 customers will select their grade of pistol (Service, Field or Rack) from available inventory at the time of order notification. Customers with higher numbers may have fewer grades from which to choose. When this year’s allotment of 1911s is exhausted, the remaining orders will be held in the existing sequence for all future allotments of 1911s. The CMP does not know what future allotments might be.”

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The light gray Parkerizing isn't very attractive. The finish looks thin.

The Parkerizing that produces the gray-green color would look much better.

Y'all post up some pics when you get them.

Will be interesting to see if they're all light gray.

Jul 1, 2012
    i was thinking the same thing (e.g. "yuck") - they said the majority of this batch were refurb'ed in the late 70's/early 80's and have that amateurish-looking finish.
    Wonder if that Ithaca they pulled was actually an Ithaca frame too...

Sounds like some very interesting stuff out of the museum system (going to auction).
    The Rem UMC they showed is pretty rough though.
    Wonder how they work the auction, only one allowed forever and ever... how do you get a "ticket" to bid?

in the meantime, you can slobber over the genuine Singer that JackTheDog is auctioning.
    Only $75k right now...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d love one. Some day. I’d love more than one someday.

But I get it. A lot fewer GI 1911s made and in inventory than there was Garands I’d carbines. No idea how many the US Gov’t kept, but what I can find it looks like somewhere around 2 million made between 1911 and the end of WWII when production stopped.

I assume we also turned some of those over foreign countries.

Honestly one thing that annoys me is CMPs limits on Garand purchases. Not that there are limits, but that they are so damn high. How is 6 Garands a year making a collection? I am sure there ARE a handful of people who are true collectors who are amassing them. I also would bet a lot of money most people who are hitting 6 a year are doing it year after year and selling a lot of them at a markup.

I feel like they should limit it to 3 in a year and not more than 6 in 3 years.

It would be nice to allow real collectors and people interested in them to be able to buy them, rather than just those looking to turn a profit who will snap up the supply in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom