• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I know that Remlin/Marlington had uh, quite the reputation to overcone but i understand from some forums and other random threads that the quality is improving. I do understand that that doesnt mean its good, just better, but has anyone here bought one in 2019/late 2018? Is it still only buy if you can lay hands on it in person, as was the common sentiment? Their new 1894CB without that godawful pressed checkering has caught my eye. Thanks for any insight!

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    From what I have read, not seen for myself, the 45-70 caliber rifles appear to have better quality. The other calibers appear to be hit-or-miss on quality. Things like canted sights and jamming actions. Canted sights you should be able to see, but if you're at someplace that won't let you cycle the action before you get out the door, you might be in for some grief. There is a Marlin Owners forum and it has a complaint forum (not just a complaint thread LOL). The thing is if you buy one now, it might be new old stock from the really bad QC run times.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/

In case you haven't seen that site yet.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    It's been discussed before. But, I believe it is better than before. Best recommendation I could give, would be find a store that has one and look for yourself. Wood fit is the most obvious and common. I like that model also.

OldNavyVet

Mar 1, 2018
    Charles County
    I currently have lots of Marlins all JM stamped and wouldn't even consider the marlingtons. But with that being said I hear that they are getting better and I inspected two at the gun show in Fredericksburg a couple weeks ago. They both were newer model 1894's and both seemed to be put together with attention to detail. The furniture fit properly and tight better than I had heard. They were pretty but don't know how they would shoot.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My understanding is that Marlin quality has improved. When Remington purchased Marlin the quality control had already fallen due to worn out tooling. Supposedly that has been addressed and the company is trying to overcome the bad reputation and get back to what they used to produce. How successful they'll be remains to be seen. Gun owners being who they are, can be pretty brutal to a manufacturer they feel has deserted them and it takes a lot to rebuild that trust. I hope Marlin can do that...the only Marlin I own is a 1894 .44 Magnum I've owned for over twenty years and it's been an exceptional piece of ordnance.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I picked up a Marlin 795 about 6 months ago. It is a simple little .22LR semi-auto in a synthetic stock. I did some work to improve the trigger pull and over travel, but otherwise, the gun was well made IMO.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I purchased a Marlin 444 around 1980s.
    Recently I saw a new 444 and the trigger was not gold plated, no deluxe recoil pad and the barrel ban was black plastic as it was once steel.

I know this has no affect on function or accuracy but the quality was less to cut manufacturing cost.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I purchased a Marlin 444 around 1980s.
    Recently I saw a new 444 and the trigger was not gold plated, no deluxe recoil pad and the barrel ban was black plastic as it was once steel.

I know this has no affect on function or accuracy but the quality was less to cut manufacturing cost.

I think those changes make Marlin a bargain brand. That's sad. I loved the the look of those Marlins. Like the old Remington BDLs. White spacers on butt pads and grip caps. "They dont make them like that now".

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    I bought a new 336 .30-30 a few months ago. Fit and finish seem good. Definitely not as nice as past marlins but it shoots well, and the action is fairly slick after oiling and cycling it a few hundred times in front of the tv. The included glass on mine was garbage and the mount was loose out of the box, but overall I'm happy with it for what I paid.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    On par for the money seems to be the most glowing review ive come across. It doesnt have to be gorgeous but not sloppy and functional wpuld be great. Kinda like me after a saturday night out.

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    American Handgunner editor Roy Hunington and custom gunsmith Gary Reeder have both recently commented on the quality of the new marlins. Though I'm not shopping hard, I haven't seen a new one in a gun store, ever. Always shopping for one in .44 old or new. And yes, I could easily buy one on the internet, but having a target gives me good reason to stop at literally any gun store I see!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Marlin hopefully will get their act together. They've been dicking around for 11 years now.

As Henry starts expanding the models to which they're adding side loading gates, they might just make up Marlin's mind for them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They have gotten better. I think the QC is better than it used to be but there is a lot of value engineering going on. The base models are right for the money (which is basically Rossi money) the higher lines not so sure.

Everyone will jump on and say buy a JM that might not be realistic for someone who wants a good hard use shooting iron as opposed to a safe queen or something used occasionally.

Id classify the current stock as solidly functional with minor adjustments, think tool grade and you are not going to cry if you chip the stock.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I bought a 795 Appleseed for my daughter. The front sight was mounted off center. I called, the picked it up and I got it back within two weeks with a one ragged hole test target. Even so, I think the best option for an open sight .22. Ymmv.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I just bought a Marlin 1894C, I have nothing to compare it to though, other than what I've seen online. I'll definitely post here if something is amiss when I pick it up at my LGS.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I bought a Marlin 45-70 last year... very small sample size of one, but mine had no issues and I would not hesitate to buy another one. I would like either 357 or 44 but it keeps getting pushed to the bottom of my priority list :(

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I bought a new 336 .30-30 a few months ago. Fit and finish seem good. Definitely not as nice as past marlins but it shoots well, and the action is fairly slick after oiling and cycling it a few hundred times in front of the tv. The included glass on mine was garbage and the mount was loose out of the box, but overall I'm happy with it for what I paid.

I got the same last thanksiving (w/o glass). No issues with alignment or finish and it does shoot well. Definitely needs oiling/break in. The loading gate is super tight and i figure it just needs to be worked in.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Wasn’t there another thread very similar to this one? Anyways, I posted there that I was having issues with my 1895gbl shooting extremely low at 50 yards. The fit and finish of the rifle are great. I debated sending the rifle back, because of it shooting so low. The rifle has been sitting in the safe, not being used, so last week I decided to mount a cheap scoop on it, I had laying around.
    It’s a straight 4X scope, and once sighted in I got a 3 shot cloverleaf group, from the bench, right above the bullseye. All the bullet holes were touching. Then I moved out to 100 yards, and got another group, exactly like the one I shot at 50 yards.
    This thing shoots great, but don’t expect the iron sights, to work correctly.
    Now that I know the gun will shoot, I’ll be putting on a better quality scope. I’ll probably go with a straight 4X Leupold, as this will be a 150 yard max hunting rig. Most of the shots, where I’d take this rifle hunting are more like bow hunting ranges, 25-30 yards.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Wasn’t there another thread very similar to this one? Anyways, I posted there that I was having issues with my 1895gbl shooting extremely low at 50 yards. The fit and finish of the rifle are great. I debated sending the rifle back, because of it shooting so low. The rifle has been sitting in the safe, not being used, so last week I decided to mount a cheap scoop on it, I had laying around.
    It’s a straight 4X scope, and once sighted in I got a 3 shot cloverleaf group, from the bench, right above the bullseye. All the bullet holes were touching. Then I moved out to 100 yards, and got another group, exactly like the one I shot at 50 yards.
    This thing shoots great, but don’t expect the iron sights, to work correctly.
    Now that I know the gun will shoot, I’ll be putting on a better quality scope. I’ll probably go with a straight 4X Leupold, as this will be a 150 yard max hunting rig. Most of the shots, where I’d take this rifle hunting are more like bow hunting ranges, 25-30 yards.

New Marlins have had a consistent issue with sights being loose or misaligned. Great to hear the other F&F points are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom