• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    They're popping up in the mail, as expected, and it's hard to keep them straight - so many vendors!

Complete build kits for 550-580, kits without the frame for 400, etc., etc. (gun.deals, search g19 kit)
    <edit: like this one for the upper and internals, https://gun.deals/product/alpha-glock-19-edc-v2-slide-w-rmr-cut-39995 - if they're quality stuff, that looks nice. Add a P80 kit for 110 from Brownells, and there ya go. /edit>

Anybody have any pointers on good/bad places to shop? I just finished my fullsize (gen1, may upgrade to a v2 frame) and am getting that tuned, now I have the itch for a compact to go with it.

Don't really want the G43 size, but a 19 might be just right.

Learned a *lot* getting all those internals to fit in right, and not getting the damned rear rails smoother down. But that's for the "build an 80%" thread, this one is for shopping advice and opinions!

Thanks in advance,
    s/f

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, first, the SS80 G43 frames aren't on the market yet. There are Poly80 Glock 26 frames, but the after-market for those is still soft. I am waiting for Brownells to release their slides later this summer before building out my PF940SC.

Second, IMHO, none of these sans-frame kits are very amazing deals at $400. You can build yourself for more-or-less the same cost:
    Glock frame parts kit: $50
    Slide Parts: $80
    Brownells Slide: $165 (wait for the inevitable sale)
    BCA Barrel: $65
    Sights: $60

And, this is just me, but I'd rather know EXACTLY what I'm getting with the parts than trust a kit with some ambiguously-sourced parts from G-d only knows where.

Shane4

Aug 5, 2012
    I will be following this thread, just picked a P80 kit from brownells for $110. Now for the rest :)

Use code NAP at brownells for $10 off and free shipping, brought the P80 down to 110 out the door for me

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I will be following this thread, just picked a P80 kit from brownells for $110. Now for the rest :)

Use code NAP at brownells for $10 off and free shipping, brought the P80 down to 110 out the door for me

Just did the same. My checkout code was MDX, but same.

And I think brother Erwos is right, thinking about it - I'm going to piece things together, so when people see components pop up on sale... Hollah!!

I do have doubts about working from a completely stripped slide (doubts of my patience for things like assembling the firing pin block, inserting a channel liner...) so if I can get a completed slide I'll spend a few extra $$ for that.

Otherwise everything stock is all I need. So off to the shopping we go...

s/f

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Second, IMHO, none of these sans-frame kits are very amazing deals at $400. You can build yourself for more-or-less the same cost:

And, this is just me, but I'd rather know EXACTLY what I'm getting with the parts than trust a kit with some ambiguously-sourced parts from G-d only knows where.

Good point, especially that last paragraph. Plus things like this:
    https://gun.deals/product/brownells...tainless-nitride-16650-shipped-after-code-ncu

This may come together faster than I thought, even though I may have to learn how to build from a completely stripped slide (I'd rather not, but...)

thanks, good reality check!

s/f

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Stripped slides are pretty easy to build. The only tricky parts:
    1. The cups with the striker spring are hard to get on by yourself, so if you have willing family or friends, enlist them to help put the cups on while you hold down the spring.
    2. You need a tool to install the firing pin channel liner. Make sure it goes in the right direction!

Otherwise, very straightforward. Would recommend you get the RMR cut-slide, simply because it will save you heartache later if you want to put an optic on it. There are cover plates you can buy to fill the gap (full disclosure: I am one of those manufacturers).

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Stripped slides are pretty easy to build. The only tricky parts:
    1. The cups with the striker spring are hard to get on by yourself, so if you have willing family or friends, enlist them to help put the cups on while you hold down the spring.
    2. You need a tool to install the firing pin channel liner. Make sure it goes in the right direction!

Otherwise, very straightforward. Would recommend you get the RMR cut-slide, simply because it will save you heartache later if you want to put an optic on it. There are cover plates you can buy to fill the gap (full disclosure: I am one of those manufacturers).

Not the derail the thread, but I had picked up the parts to complete a G17 and while waiting for my liner install tool to arrive, just for grins I tried to put it in without a tool. It just slid right in, no muss, no fuss. I am wondering if it is in properly. I was able to go ahead and put the rest of the slide together, but I have not done the rest of the gun. Should I take the slide apart and make sure that the liner is seated?

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Huh. So, that complete build package from P80builders is really good pricing, but on the rest... Not so much. One thing they do have for cheap is barrels, but idk where they get those.

s/f and Happy 4th!!

Echo6mike, going mobile...

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Huh. So, that complete build package from P80builders is really good pricing, but on the rest... Not so much. One thing they do have for cheap is barrels, but idk where they get those.

s/f and Happy 4th!!

Echo6mike, going mobile...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=224792

My kit came with an out-of-spec barrel and an incorrect extractor SLB. Barrels are 1:16 twist so something to think about if you're going threaded and plan to shoot subsonic heavies. Customer service is good as long as you can get everything sorted in the first 30 days or so and get all your parts replaced as soon as you can. They offered to replace the barrel but I just reprofiled the feed ramp and chamber mouth myself so they gave me a small refund to compensate me for my time.

Even though I had issues I'd still consider buying from them again if the price was right. I'd go into it expecting a few issues since I'm confident with either correcting them or getting the parts replaced right away.

Shane4

Aug 5, 2012
    I ended up chaning my mind and wanting to build a 34, bought the "kit" from P80 builder just got it in yesterday. I am super happy with the barrel at first look, can't wait to build it up!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I ended up chaning my mind and wanting to build a 34, bought the "kit" from P80 builder just got it in yesterday. I am super happy with the barrel at first look, can't wait to build it up!

Heh. I ended up deciding to piece mine together - just got the slide from Brownell's (no optics cutout, sorry Erwos!) and am waiting on the frame. I'll order a slide parts kit and LPK probably today, those don't seem to go on sale much, and wait for a good, basic barrel to show up on sale.

to be continued...

SF!

surprisinglyminty

Feb 5, 2013
    Midway or Brownells most likely - Brownells usually has $ off/free shipping codes. And I'm a cheapskate. 8-)

I agree. If you play the waiting game, the brownell codes are great.

I’m waiting as well. In the process of making a p80 1926 (aka glock26L). Just piecing the parts together now.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

That's pretty much the parts list I used on the P80 G17 I built except I used a Glock barrel, AmeriGlo fiber sights and an Apex tactical trigger.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Any good deals on the G17/22 frames? They all seem to be $149.99. I want to replace my G22 textured grip frame with the V2 P80 to see if it's more comfortable to shoot. The undercut trigger guard might do the trick. I'd under cut my G22 but I'd like to keep it stock for potential resale purposes. Not that anyone wants a .40cal these days but you never know.

surprisinglyminty

Feb 5, 2013
    Any good deals on the G17/22 frames? They all seem to be $149.99. I want to replace my G22 textured grip frame with the V2 P80 to see if it's more comfortable to shoot. The undercut trigger guard might do the trick. I'd under cut my G22 but I'd like to keep it stock for potential resale purposes. Not that anyone wants a .40cal these days but you never know.

Armorally

Rockeybrass

Ar15safespace

Hinterlandoutfitters

The three top e-commerce stores will show lowest price when adding the item to cart

Don’t pay more than $110 shipped for a p80 frame

$75-105 is the sweet spot unless you want .45/10mm build (<$125 is the ticket!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom