• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twud

Mar 1, 2007
    I overheard a conversation in the gun shop yesterday the gist of which was that centerfire rifles are illegal for hunting in Baltimore County, for any species. The guy who was arguing the no centerfire position seemed pretty sure of himself.
    I've been hunting grounhogs for twenty years with a 22-250 and I've never heard of such law.
    I've searched the DNR web site and can't find anything about it.
    Maybe E.Shell will join in on this one, he seems to have the magic touch when it comes to finding laws at the DNR site.
    Mark

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I overheard a conversation in the gun shop yesterday the gist of which was that centerfire rifles are illegal for hunting in Baltimore County, for any species. The guy who was arguing the no centerfire position seemed pretty sure of himself.
    I've been hunting grounhogs for twenty years with a 22-250 and I've never heard of such law.
    I've searched the DNR web site and can't find anything about it.
    Maybe E.Shell will join in on this one, he seems to have the magic touch when it comes to finding laws at the DNR site.
    Mark
    The guy is quoting the "deer hunting rules, a common mistake.

The answers can be found in, The complete Guide to Hunting and Trapping in Maryland, page 14 & 15. :)

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I thought the same thing until i looked it up. Mostly pertains to what Jim Sr. said, deer hunting. The DNR wants people to use shotguns for deer bc a lot of times in Baltimore County you can hunt deer within a few yards of houses or buildings. They do not want somebody shooting a deer with a .30-06 behind their 2 acre home for fear that the bullet might travel and strike a person, home, car,... Also what i think is that eveytime i go to shoot groundhogs, i usually hunt them on open, undeveloped fields and not in the suburbs of the city. Seems to be safer to use the centerfire rifle in ares like this. Just my .02$

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Agreed w/JimSr.
    Here is a quote from the (state) law regarding "Rifles":
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/weapon.asp
    Rifle Regulations

It is unlawful to hunt with an automatic firearm capable of firing a series of shots with one continuous pull of the trigger.

Rifles used for deer hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.

Firearms used for deer hunting may not have an ammunition clip loaded with more than 8 cartridges or bullets. If a clip has the capacity to hold more than 8 rounds, the clip does not have to be physically blocked, but no more than 8 cartridges or bullets may be loaded.

Rifles may be used to hunt upland game (except dove and woodcock) and forest game (except turkey during the spring season), crow, woodchuck, nutria and certain furbearing species.

It is only lawful to hunt with ammunition of soft point (expanding) construction. All military, full metal jacketed, incendiary or tracer bullets are prohibited.
    Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel,Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the Washington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of .6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River.

Baltimore County Code may be found at this link:
    http://www.baltimorecountyonline.info/Agencies/law/countycode.html
    FWIW, a site search did not turn up ANY hits for "centerfire".
    Looking for "rifle" turns up a few hits, but only the one hit from the regulations is relevant and that single one specifies " . . . no target shooting at Lock Raven . . " and give descriptions of possibly target shooting devices, to include "rifles".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom