• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • +1 on the FNP. I've had mine for two years, a few thousand rounds through it, not one hiccup. I think mine was $545.00 out the door from a friend's shop that is no longer around. That included hard plastic case, lock, three factory mags, and adjustable backstrap as well. CZ was gonna be my next choice, but he had none there.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Why 40 Short & Wimpy?

Any of those guns in 9mm for economy or 45 ACP for stopping power would be a better choice.

If you real like something in a 40 caliber, try a 10mm and get a 40 S&W barrel for cheaper fun&practice

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    If memory serves, Continental has the following for rent in .40:

USP
    USPc
    P229
    some sort of XD (not into them)
    P99
    G22
    G23
    G27
    Sigpro 2340
    Maybe a Ruger, some older SW 3rd Gen, MAYBE an M&P, more likely a Sigma, possibly some sort of 1911s. Not sure what else. Certainly don't count on finding a CZ to rent there, and I'm really not so sure that they even have an M&P to rent, but it's been a few weeks since I've been there.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    XDm hands down! I have shot the Glocks and the HK USP, full-size and compact with both... Nice guns, but I love my springer! I agree with Bikebreath and don't think Continental has an Xdm for rent. I'm gonna try to be there this weekend (probably Sunday) and you could give my Xdm a try in 9mm, .40S&W and .357SIG if you wanted.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    XDm hands down! I have shot the Glocks and the HK USP, full-size and compact with both... Nice guns, but I love my springer! I agree with Bikebreath and don't think Continental has an Xdm for rent. I'm gonna try to be there this weekend (probably Sunday) and you could give my Xdm a try in 9mm, .40S&W and .357SIG if you wanted.

I thought of you when he said XDm in .40. Nice of you to offer him a go with it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    colt_45[1].jpg
    you should get a colt 45 if you're interested in a 40

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Thanks for the offers and info! Much appreciated and I would come if my wife hadn't booked all our weekends from here to God-knows-when...

Should I consider the .45 over the .40? I already have a 9mm, but I want something a little beefier. I thought the .40 would be the next step, but I can jump to a .45 too.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I have a S&W .40 Compact and really like it. I would also advise you to check out the Walther P99. I keep one of those at work. The P99 feels great in my hands.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the offers and info! Much appreciated and I would come if my wife hadn't booked all our weekends from here to God-knows-when...

Should I consider the .45 over the .40? I already have a 9mm, but I want something a little beefier. I thought the .40 would be the next step, but I can jump to a .45 too.

45 is usually easier to shoot than 40. 9mm is a light quick push, 45 is a slow heavy one, 40 is usually a quick heavy push, and for most more difficult to deal with than 45.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

You realize that you just asked a question that could tie us up in knots for years? In all seriousness, the 9mm; .45acp and .40S&W are all excellent calibers, all with strengths and weaknesses. My Department arms me with a .40, so that's what I'm used to and I like. If you're really unsure, you'll have to try them all. To me, the .45's biggest issue right now is ammo availability and price.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    45 is usually easier to shoot than 40. 9mm is a light quick push, 45 is a slow heavy one, 40 is usually a quick heavy push, and for most more difficult to deal with than 45.

That pretty much sums it up. :thumbsup: You have to try em both in the gun you like best to make the final call. Either will get the job done if used properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom