Supplies for first eastern shore duck hunt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    So I'm an avid deer and predator hunter but I have the opportunity to go on a duck hunt for my birthday next month and I'm just looking for a general list of necessities.

I have a Remington 870 12 ga with factory choke and will purchase #2 steel shot (how many boxes?) Should i wear my normal hunting attire with muck boots or buy chest waders?

Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Waders, warm clothes, hat, gloves, etc. SPARE CLOTHES (this is from experience!) Those handwarmers. At least 2 boxes of shells. Floating gun case.
    If you don't have enough gear to almost require a Sherpa you probably forgot something!

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Waders, warm clothes, hat, gloves, etc. SPARE CLOTHES (this is from experience!) Those handwarmers. At least 2 boxes of shells. Floating gun case.
    If you don't have enough gear to almost require a Sherpa you probably forgot something!

I have a lot of warm clothes from deer hunting so I'll get some decent waders to take. I need some better gloves, good call on that. We are fishing from a blind on the shore so I won't need the floating gun case.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I bought the Zippo hand warmer a month or so ago and just had the chance to use it in the blind ten days ago. That thing works pretty good. If you do not already have a camo face mask and you want to be sticking your head up out of the blind to watch the ducks, then get a camo face mask. Not always needed, but if the birds are flaring when you are looking at them, then put it on. Remember, they are looking down on you and when they see a big round white/black circle in the middle of the marsh (i.e., your face), that alerts them.

What factory chokes came with your gun? Take the tightest steel choke that came with it, and a couple chokes that are more open. Which one I use depends on how the birds are working. If they are dropping right into the decoys, I open the choke up a little. This might be extremely useful for you if you are not an avid wing shooter (i.e., not a good shot at moving targets).

The waders are a must unless you already know what conditions you will be hunting in. My first duck hunt was in a marsh, I was poor, and I did not own a set of waders. It was a fun time, albeit a cold fun time.

As far as gloves go, I use a pair of Mechanix wear camo gloves and a pair of heavy Cabela's goretex gloves. Which I use, depends on how cold it is out, and whether the birds are flying or not. When the birds start flying, I use the Mexhanix glove on my shooting hand and I stick that hand in the pocket with the handwarmer in it if it is cold as hell out.

If you want to try your hand at calling, buy a call. If not, no worries there since whoever you are going with will probably be doing the calling.

50 rounds of shells should be plenty unless the birds are really flying good and you are a terrible shot. lol

Any chance for geese on this hunt? If so, have some #BB with you too.

If you are not a good wing shooter, then acquire the skill by shooting some skeet/sporting clays before going duck hunting.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Don't forget your state and federal migratory bird stamps.
    You might need a little stool or seat for the blind. Dicks has a little three legged camo camp chair one that we like; it's comfortable and only $15.
    If there's any way you can squeeze in shooting some clays before your trip do it. Wear whatever you're going to wear in the blind so you get a feel for how restrictive your layers will be. Good luck, have fun and try not to cuss too much - those ducks can leave you wondering what just happened.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    If you will be helping with decoys or retrieving downed birds,waterproof gloves are a must.Even then I would take spare gloves.Wet hands and cold weather will make things hell for you

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I bought the Zippo hand warmer a month or so ago and just had the chance to use it in the blind ten days ago. That thing works pretty good. If you do not already have a camo face mask and you want to be sticking your head up out of the blind to watch the ducks, then get a camo face mask. Not always needed, but if the birds are flaring when you are looking at them, then put it on. Remember, they are looking down on you and when they see a big round white/black circle in the middle of the marsh (i.e., your face), that alerts them.

What factory chokes came with your gun? Take the tightest steel choke that came with it, and a couple chokes that are more open. Which one I use depends on how the birds are working. If they are dropping right into the decoys, I open the choke up a little. This might be extremely useful for you if you are not an avid wing shooter (i.e., not a good shot at moving targets).

The waders are a must unless you already know what conditions you will be hunting in. My first duck hunt was in a marsh, I was poor, and I did not own a set of waders. It was a fun time, albeit a cold fun time.

As far as gloves go, I use a pair of Mechanix wear camo gloves and a pair of heavy Cabela's goretex gloves. Which I use, depends on how cold it is out, and whether the birds are flying or not. When the birds start flying, I use the Mexhanix glove on my shooting hand and I stick that hand in the pocket with the handwarmer in it if it is cold as hell out.

If you want to try your hand at calling, buy a call. If not, no worries there since whoever you are going with will probably be doing the calling.

50 rounds of shells should be plenty unless the birds are really flying good and you are a terrible shot. lol

Any chance for geese on this hunt? If so, have some #BB with you too.

If you are not a good wing shooter, then acquire the skill by shooting some skeet/sporting clays before going duck hunting.

I have a camo facemask and will have two boxes of #2 and two boxes of BBs as well. My shotgun only came with one choke. I'll see what it is. And I usually just wear fleece gloves with hand warmers in the pockets so I'll grab a pair of waterproof gloves to take with me.

Don't forget your state and federal migratory bird stamps.
    You might need a little stool or seat for the blind. Dicks has a little three legged camo camp chair one that we like; it's comfortable and only $15.
    If there's any way you can squeeze in shooting some clays before your trip do it. Wear whatever you're going to wear in the blind so you get a feel for how restrictive your layers will be. Good luck, have fun and try not to cuss too much - those ducks can leave you wondering what just happened.

I have the stamps I need already, and a 3 legged stool that I will be taking. Didn't think about the stool, good call.

If you will be helping with decoys or retrieving downed birds,waterproof gloves are a must.Even then I would take spare gloves.Wet hands and cold weather will make things hell for you

Def will grab another pair of gloves or two.

5 gallon bucket with a lid. Doubles as a seat and dry storage.

Hmm good idea. Thanks.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a camo facemask and will have two boxes of #2 and two boxes of BBs as well. My shotgun only came with one choke. I'll see what it is. And I usually just wear fleece gloves with hand warmers in the pockets so I'll grab a pair of waterproof gloves to take with me.

I have the stamps I need already, and a 3 legged stool that I will be taking. Didn't think about the stool, good call.

Def will grab another pair of gloves or two.

Hmm good idea. Thanks.

Remind me and I'll bring you a pair of neoprene duck hunting gloves

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    5 gallon bucket with a lid. Doubles as a seat and dry storage.

This with a burlap bag for camo and a camo cushion for the butt. I with you lived closer because I have a lot of duck ammo that I'll likely never use as I gave up duck hunting. It's a RPITA if your taking a small boat out into the marsh creeks and such.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    How old is that 870, are the chokes steel safe?

Buy yourself good rounds, If they are not $15 a box before a sale don't buy them. You want speed but I have seen Remington cheap loads that say 1500fps flat out not kill ducks. Cheap ammo can ruin an entire trip. I'm not not suggesting Hevi-shot or anything ridiculous. Just something like Kent, black cloud or other similar good ammo. I don't trust regular Remington or Winchester shot shells for waterfowl any more after i have seen some of the trash they have sold. I am sold on Kent and use #2 for ducks, BB or geese and #1 for both of them. 3" 1 1/8 or 1 1/4oz will be good.

Cheap breathable wader will work for a first trip. I use breathable waders unless any kind of rough cover is around. They are way more flexible and comfortable but supply zero warmth and require properly layering underneath. Any kind of waders will get you though. Pick your feet up higher in waders in the water. You can't see submerged objects and have to "feel" for them. Change of clothes in case you forget. ;)

Water proof gloves for setting decoys and extra gloves. I carry several jersey gloves, gor-tex gloves and regular hunting gloves. I have had two pairs get wet on one trip hunting the water. black, camo or brown doesn't matter, just have extras!!

You didn't say this was an invite from a friend or your going with a guide. They should have suggestions for you and what they expect from you.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    How old is that 870, are the chokes steel safe?

Buy yourself good rounds, If they are not $15 a box before a sale don't buy them. You want speed but I have seen Remington cheap loads that say 1500fps flat out not kill ducks. Cheap ammo can ruin an entire trip. I'm not not suggesting Hevi-shot or anything ridiculous. Just something like Kent, black cloud or other similar good ammo. I don't trust regular Remington or Winchester shot shells for waterfowl any more after i have seen some of the trash they have sold. I am sold on Kent and use #2 for ducks, BB or geese and #1 for both of them. 3" 1 1/8 or 1 1/4oz will be good.

Cheap breathable wader will work for a first trip. I use breathable waders unless any kind of rough cover is around. They are way more flexible and comfortable but supply zero warmth and require properly layering underneath. Any kind of waders will get you though. Pick your feet up higher in waders in the water. You can't see submerged objects and have to "feel" for them. Change of clothes in case you forget. ;)

Water proof gloves for setting decoys and extra gloves. I carry several jersey gloves, gor-tex gloves and regular hunting gloves. I have had two pairs get wet on one trip hunting the water. black, camo or brown doesn't matter, just have extras!!

You didn't say this was an invite from a friend or your going with a guide. They should have suggestions for you and what they expect from you.

The 870 is maybe 3 or 4 years old. I was planning on federal black cloud or kent shells.

Just ordered new gloves and will take two extra pairs.

Looking at waders now. Any suggestions?

I am going with a friend and a guide. My buddy has told me pretty much everything you guys have.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The 870 is maybe 3 or 4 years old. I was planning on federal black cloud or kent shells.

Just ordered new gloves and will take two extra pairs.

Looking at waders now. Any suggestions?

I am going with a friend and a guide. My buddy has told me pretty much everything you guys have.

I have been using a pair of Cabela's waders for 15 years now. Same goes for a Columbia wader's jacket and Columbia bibs. Just bought my son some Drake stuff, and it looks to be pretty nice and what I will replace my Columbia stuff with when I finally feel like it is time after the kids get through college.

The advice on shotshells is pretty much dead on. I use Remington Nitro #BB for the first shot, Remington Hevi-Shot #B for the second shot, and Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote #T for the 3rd shot. Thing is, if the birds come in with the landing gear down, I rarely get to the 3rd shell before my limit is filled. If I was shooting a lot, I would probably stick with Remington Nitro shells for all three rounds. Probably killed close to 1,000 geese with Remington Nitro shells.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I have been using a pair of Cabela's waders for 15 years now. Same goes for a Columbia wader's jacket and Columbia bibs. Just bought my son some Drake stuff, and it looks to be pretty nice and what I will replace my Columbia stuff with when I finally feel like it is time after the kids get through college.

The advice on shotshells is pretty much dead on. I use Remington Nitro #BB for the first shot, Remington Hevi-Shot #B for the second shot, and Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote #T for the 3rd shot. Thing is, if the birds come in with the landing gear down, I rarely get to the 3rd shell before my limit is filled. If I was shooting a lot, I would probably stick with Remington Nitro shells for all three rounds. Probably killed close to 1,000 geese with Remington Nitro shells.

Never heard of remington nitro. I'll check them out. And cabelas has a good deal on their brand waders right now.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Cabelas waders are good and will last you a long time.

On shotshells, I know you are local and Dicks carries Kent, Blackcloud and Hevi-metal. All three will work but Kent is all you need. Do not be tempted to by that Winchester Super X! Hevi-metal is good but expensive and I personally thnk blacl cloud is a gimmick. My one buddy shot it and is changing back to Kent again. Different sized shot pieces seemed to be affecting his patterns and shooting.

Have you done much bird shooting? If not you better practice or think about it. It's second nature for many of us, but if not prepared you could shoot behind them until you figure it out and loose most birds. Think butt, beak, bang. I don;t even have to think any more. ;) This could hurt your trip more than any forgotten gear. Ducks can be furious action for the first hour and die down and figuring out your swing the first 45 minutes could ruin your day.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    We've had good results with the Remington Hypersonics, they're 1700 fps. It's pretty easy to get excited and forget about putting enough lead on the bird. The flip side of course is we do all our clay shooting with 1145 fps loads so our normal skeet leads are no good.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Cabelas waders are good and will last you a long time.

On shotshells, I know you are local and Dicks carries Kent, Blackcloud and Hevi-metal. All three will work but Kent is all you need. Do not be tempted to by that Winchester Super X! Hevi-metal is good but expensive and I personally thnk blacl cloud is a gimmick. My one buddy shot it and is changing back to Kent again. Different sized shot pieces seemed to be affecting his patterns and shooting.

Have you done much bird shooting? If not you better practice or think about it. It's second nature for many of us, but if not prepared you could shoot behind them until you figure it out and loose most birds. Think butt, beak, bang. I don;t even have to think any more. ;) This could hurt your trip more than any forgotten gear. Ducks can be furious action for the first hour and die down and figuring out your swing the first 45 minutes could ruin your day.

Kent shells seem to get solid reviews. I've done a good bit of skeet shooting. Should be ok.

We've had good results with the Remington Hypersonics, they're 1700 fps. It's pretty easy to get excited and forget about putting enough lead on the bird. The flip side of course is we do all our clay shooting with 1145 fps loads so our normal skeet leads are no good.

I'll check them out too. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom