• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Will be shooting 20 gauge sabot rounds out of a cantilever barrel 870. Deer is the intended target. Recommend a scope.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Will be shooting 20 gauge sabot rounds out of a cantilever barrel 870. Deer is the intended target. Recommend a scope.
    Nikon Slughunter 3-9. The Nikon 2-7 referenced has lousy eye relief. Like eye socket cracking bad eye relief. The 3-9 Slughunter BDC is $50 more, and well worth it. Never got scope bit on any firearm, ever. Shotguns, to muzzleloaders, to 338 Win Mag. That damn Nikon 2-7 (on H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 12ga) has busted me open twice at the range and once in the field, and smacked my eye pro at the range several others but I escaped the damage somehow. Back to the 870 for me, after I put on the 3-9 Slughunter. Gonna smash the crap out of the 2-7, sadly, it’s nice glass and the reticle is good. Just bad engineering with crap for eye relief. BTW, no matter what Nikon’s specs say for eye relief, it’s wrong. It sux

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't said my usual for at least several months :

At shotgun slug distances ( and rifle hunting in even fairly open woods ) , generous eye relief, and a wide field of view are far more important than magnification per se . Ease of rapid target aquisition , and margin of error of hastily shouldered boomstick .

You don't need to count every hair on Bambi's shoulder , just be able place crosshairs just behind front leg , 1/3 way up chest ( or your prefered aiming point, not starting that debate in this thread ).

I actually hedged my answer in my above post . In actuality a 2.5- 2.75X would be my ideal for that role .

Yeah, yeah , variables could be turned down ( but my experience optical clarity suffers for 0.5- 1.0 of X at either extreme of magnification range . If I'm going to nearly always have a variable at one (functional) extreme , I'd rather have a fixed power that is ( some combination of ) lighter, more compact, stronger , more rugged) .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I haven't said my usual for at least several months :

At shotgun slug distances ( and rifle hunting in even fairly open woods ) , generous eye relief, and a wide field of view are far more important than magnification per se . Ease of rapid target aquisition , and margin of error of hastily shouldered boomstick .

You don't need to count every hair on Bambi's shoulder , just be able place crosshairs just behind front leg , 1/3 way up chest ( or your prefered aiming point, not starting that debate in this thread ).

I actually hedged my answer in my above post . In actuality a 2.5- 2.75X would be my ideal for that role .

Yeah, yeah , variables could be turned down ( but my experience optical clarity suffers for 0.5- 1.0 of X at either extreme of magnification range . If I'm going to nearly always have a variable at one (functional) extreme , I'd rather have a fixed power that is ( some combination of ) lighter, more compact, stronger , more rugged) .

My Nikon Slughunter 9x30 will likely never see anything past base magnification as I hunt smoothbore with it, but the optical clarity, light pick-up, and slug-hunting purpose-built design made it the superior choice for me. I'm actually really tempted to swap it on over to my front-stuffer this year given it's magnification qualities as my Traditions Durango definitely has much more ability to reach out and take a deer down at much longer ranges.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Nikon Slughunter 3-9. The Nikon 2-7 referenced has lousy eye relief. Like eye socket cracking bad eye relief. The 3-9 Slughunter BDC is $50 more, and well worth it. Never got scope bit on any firearm, ever. Shotguns, to muzzleloaders, to 338 Win Mag. That damn Nikon 2-7 (on H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 12ga) has busted me open twice at the range and once in the field, and smacked my eye pro at the range several others but I escaped the damage somehow. Back to the 870 for me, after I put on the 3-9 Slughunter. Gonna smash the crap out of the 2-7, sadly, it’s nice glass and the reticle is good. Just bad engineering with crap for eye relief. BTW, no matter what Nikon’s specs say for eye relief, it’s wrong. It sux

LOL - well it can't be any worse than the eye relief on the scope that comes with the Remington cantilever barrel. That thing is minimal at best. Not very bright glass. No margin on the eye relief; you have to be right on or the scope edges go black.

[EDIT] So that's why I am looking for a better alternative. And in case you are wondering WHY I got the scoped version of the barrel; I found it on Ebay for a good price.

OLSKOL59

Jun 24, 2018
    Got the barrel/scope combo for my 870 too. 1 shot and scope went on my beater 22. Put a 4x Bushnell sportveiw and been good for 18?+ yrs

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , laws of physics . But the positive trade off , is the longer eye relief scopes are more flexible at providing a "good enough to be usable " view if your eye is somewhat closer or farther away than theoretically ideal distance from scope .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom