• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Money_B_85

Mar 30, 2017
    A vote for the CZ scorpion from me. I bought it specifically for HD reason. Simple blowback operation that works. I’ve put around 800 rounds and have had zero FTF. Brass, Aluminum, Steel, HP, etc....it works no problem. Cheap magazines. Belows my current setup.

Attachments

• 0A288C9B-4D7C-46BF-BC07-BA03F28719A0.jpg
      0A288C9B-4D7C-46BF-BC07-BA03F28719A0.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 3,148

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Thanks everyone for all the information. I would think .223 is super loud inside a house and 9mm not nearly as bad especially in a Carbine. That's what has lead me to the 9mm Carbine. I'm just not totally sold on the reliability as some of you have also pointed out. Alot of great options for sure.

300 blk out its almost a 9 - sort of like a 556 and a 9 had a baby

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Beretta CX4 storms have been reliable and always go bang. Mine are all stock but you can deck them out with Siera Papa items which people say make them super reliable and bullet proof but the upgrades cost more than the carbine itself.

I had the same idea to use a CX4 Storm as a home defense carbine until I saw how it was made internally. It was only after I did the Sierra Papa upgrades that I trusted it with home defense.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The AR9 pistol is a good option.

It’s much easier to use compared to something in 5.56 in confined spaces such as one’s home.

Attachments

• 6F0B02FF-9E3E-4D14-AC5D-85F48B813902.jpg
      6F0B02FF-9E3E-4D14-AC5D-85F48B813902.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 2,655

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    All my carbines meet your desired spec (reliable, compact, low noise). Additionally my carbines must have compatible magazines to match/mate the same caliber pistol. Want to up your pistol caliber muzzle velocity? Eject your pistol magazine and slap it directly into the carbine. No fumbling around for a proprietary mag.....No muss, no fuss!

I have a Beretta Cx4 as well as the versatile TNW AERO.

So its another vote for the Beretta CX4 platform. It can use either Px4 or 92/96 pistol magazines with some easy minor hardware changes. Cx4's also available in .40 or .45 caliber if you really want stopping power.

Similar to the Just Right carbines are the TNW Firearms -AERO Survival Carbine. These use any appropriate Glock magazines to match the respective Glock pistols. TNW comes in a good variety of pistol calibers and kits that are easily swapped out by user-level field stripping.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    With supersonic rounds, yeah. With sub-sonic you have essentially a .45 cal that is pretty darn quiet with a can. Certainly hearing safe indoors (although you then have over penetration issues with sub-sonic rounds).

Well, two strikes compared to a .45, you have worse over penetration as it is a smaller frontal cross section and the velocity is close enough between a .45 and a subsonic .300BO there isn’t going to be a bunch more disruption on the .300BO to slow it faster.

And the .45 is going to have a larger wound channel than the .300BO as well as having loads that do a really good job expanding at those subsonic velocities. A well expanding .300BO load is hard to come by.

Then again, per military arms channel testing, sub-sonic .300BP is capable of penetrating class II body armor which .45acp is not.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    With supersonic rounds, yeah. With sub-sonic you have essentially a .45 cal that is pretty darn quiet with a can. Certainly hearing safe indoors (although you then have over penetration issues with sub-sonic rounds).

Sure, and you could buy subsonic 7.62x39 or subsonic .308 too.

But if you are going subsonic, why pay all that extra money? 147g 9mm is subsonic too. .45 will be subsonic as well. Similar power factor as subsonic rifle, less money.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll accept as a given the OP's choice of 9mm carbine . It's viable, and I won't belabor the most bestest alternatives .

The answer that you won't think is very helpful is : Whatever is reliable with suitable load, and that you shoot well . But strictly for the HD parameter, that's the bottom line . If you have additional parameters not mentioned in first post, that will point in various directions .

If you wish to closely follow the ergonomics of an AR , then either a (factory) 9mm AR , or a JRC .

If $ is a factor then Hi Point .

If you wish multi role , to also transport in compact package, then Kel Tec .

I will observe about the CX-4 . I is indeed reliable, and suitably accurate for the type . But the stock design does not work well with the iron sights, and pretty much demands an optic . For me , I like iron sight capability on such things, and that would steer me in another direction. For someone who considers at least a red dot mandatory equipment, not an issue .

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I bought a Kriss Vector in 45 because I like the idea of lower penentration and great knock down power. I the ususal 223 pistol but too much penetration. Have the 9mm carbine which cycles great but wanted to go 45. But you know the SBR LWRC in 6.8 with frangible ammo might be interesting too/

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I bought a Kriss Vector in 45 because I like the idea of lower penentration and great knock down power. I the ususal 223 pistol but too much penetration. Have the 9mm carbine which cycles great but wanted to go 45. But you know the SBR LWRC in 6.8 with frangible ammo might be interesting too/

Through walls a .45 has more penetration than a .223.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

.223 penetrates less...

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Anyone considering a Beretta CX4 for home defense had better knock one down and decide if a plastic op-rod is the thing they will bet their life on.
    A stock CX4 is junk IMHO. I know. I made the mistake.
    My CX4 is now reliable enough for me for self defense following the Sierra Papa mods.

Now the .45 ACP...I was shooting a fun match at hanging firewood @ 25 yds with one of my .45 ACP's.
    I shot FMJ 45 ACP through dry split firewood like a hot knife through butter.
    1/2 inch entrance hole and a slightly larger exit hole.
    I had no idea of the power of a 45 ACP.

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Wow interesting... I have thought about the 300BLK several times but is there really a barrel length that would shoot reliably unsuppressed as well as suppressed so I can rely on it while I wait for my suppressor to get out of jail and it can also serve as a good deer hunting pistol this fall? That would be sweet...

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Well, two strikes compared to a .45, you have worse over penetration as it is a smaller frontal cross section and the velocity is close enough between a .45 and a subsonic .300BO there isn’t going to be a bunch more disruption on the .300BO to slow it faster.

And the .45 is going to have a larger wound channel than the .300BO as well as having loads that do a really good job expanding at those subsonic velocities. A well expanding .300BO load is hard to come by.

Then again, per military arms channel testing, sub-sonic .300BP is capable of penetrating class II body armor which .45acp is not.

The virtues of 300 blk wasn't to serve as a viable alternative to x39. It is simply the most versatile round for the modern day AR platform out to 300 yards. I run a 9.5 inch sbr that has more muzzle velocity than a 16 inch 5.56 in a smaller platform. I run linked ETM mags and a suppressor. If my target engagement moves out over 25-50 yards and/or behind cover. I simply switch mags to the supers, have the same reliability, no gas tuning, bcg switches to mess with and start up some hammer time.

Try shooting quiet with subsonic x39 suppressed, let me know how your bolt action AK/AR works for you. Try shooting through brick walls or outside of 50 yards with your Kriss Vector and let me know how that does for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom