• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Would it be illegal to complete these newly available for legal purchase lowers? If so, must one adhere to a particular configuration (e.g. HBAR)?

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Would it be illegal to complete these newly available for legal purchase lowers? If so, must one adhere to a particular configuration (e.g. HBAR)?

Can be completed as AR pistol, SBR, or HBAR rifle.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Here is the response from MSP. It still doesn't make sense. Waiting on more. I had asked why the AR15 receiver needs a 77r and the AR10 does not. This still doesn't show why the receiver would need a 77r.

"Because the AR-10 was never a regulated firearm and the AR-15 is."

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The Maryland State Police is a clown circus. (MSP, I know you reads these threads--you should be ashamed of the way you conduct official business.)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Here is the response from MSP. It still doesn't make sense. Waiting on more. I had asked why the AR15 receiver needs a 77r and the AR10 does not. This still doesn't show why the receiver would need a 77r.

"Because the AR-10 was never a regulated firearm and the AR-15 is."

Now that is confidence inspiring :sad20:

They really are a bunch of clowns. Just don't want to see any of our IPs (or any FFL for that matter) get pinched because someone at MSP got fast fingers and sent out some emails

backhome426

Aug 26, 2012
    SouthCounty
    Now that is confidence inspiring :sad20:

They really are a bunch of clowns. Just don't want to see any of our IPs (or any FFL for that matter) get pinched because someone at MSP got fast fingers and sent out some emails

No pinching. The other thread has comments that say MSP has had this on the table for some time just hasn't released it.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I have always been told an AR-10 receiver was regulated, but the complete AR-10 was not, is that incorrect? Can a Md. FFL sell an AR-10 receiver as cash/carry? Also OP, will you order or accept transfers for other stripped ar-15 lowers?

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    I have always been told an AR-10 receiver was regulated, but the complete AR-10 was not, is that incorrect? Can a Md. FFL sell an AR-10 receiver as cash/carry? Also OP, will you order or accept transfers for other stripped ar-15 lowers?

AR10 / AR10 receiver is not regulated and can be sold cash and carry.

Yes, we can order and do transfers of other lower receivers.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    My form 1 better not get rejected a 3rd time then... Especially on a pre Oct rifle..

In other news, this is awesome.. I may have to pick up 3 or 4 or 10 lowers.. :D:lol:

We are pre-selling them. If you want some give us a call.

Dan

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Latest update from MSP

"Sir,

I am sorry, I am not at my desk right now so I can not quote what section of MD code it is but the lower receiver is classified as a firearm. The complete assault weapon version of the AR-15 is banned but because the lower receiver is classified as a firearm and can still be built into legal firearms it was found to be exempt from the current version of the law. A 77R is required to purchase a lower receiver, an HQL is not. Multiple purchases can be made just as before. You can of course complete the weapon with a heavy barrel and sell it as a non-regulated firearm but a lower receiver sold on its own required a 77R. "

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It might be a firearm, nut how is it a REGULATED firearm?

The receiver can be built as a handgun, which makes it "possibly" regulated.

If the reciever is built into an HBAR, cash and carry. If the reciever is to be finished as a handgun then regulated. They are just trying to keep things difficult.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Since when is a 77r needed for a possible future firearm? If it's not now a regulated firearm, why does MSP have a right to demand a 77r? What if it's gonna be an HBAR?

MSP says you can buy multiple lowers. How can you do that without being a DC if it's regulated?

BS from MSP .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No HBAR is regulated. AR Pistols and SBR's are as they are handguns according to MD law. For SBR's lowers have to comply with the 281 copycat requirements. (OAL. 29", only 2 copycat features.)

IANAL

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    That's so they will have a complete list to go by when they change their minds 6 months from now and need to round them up

Even though Maryland has some fackacta laws with regard to guns, they also have a history of grandfathering items and walking away.

I know of no time that there has ever been a roundup of newly prohibited items.

Might things change and could all ARs someday be made illegal in this state, maybe, but I believe any future pre-ban items (yes, I know, confusing wording...) will be grandfathered and left alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom