• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

Gd1

Dec 29, 2022
    Bel Air
    Applied Saturday 01-21 the day after I got approved for my HGP
    Approved HQL 02-1

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Hard to believe that it's been almost 10 years since this travesty of a law was passed.

Harder still to believe that I will need to renew this thing in less than 6 months. I guess I will need to check to see if there is even a process in place to do that!

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    So, I just went and checked the MSP website. Glad to see they are on top of it..... :rolleyes:

MSP HQL Site

When Should I Renew?​

The initial Handgun Qualification License expires ten (10) years from the date of issuance.

A Handgun Qualification License may be renewed for successive periods of ten (10) years each if, at the time of an application for renewal, the applicant possesses the qualifications for the issuance of a license and submits a $20.00 nonrefundable application renewal fee.

Handgun Qualification License renewal applicants are NOT required to submit fingerprints or complete a firearms safety training course as part of the application for the renewal of an active Handgun Qualification License.

The EGOV System will email renewal reminders to Handgun Qualification License holders who hold an active license that will be expiring. These reminders will be sent at 90 days, 60 days and 30 days prior to expiration of the license.
    It is the license holder’s responsibility to notify the Licensing Division of any email or address changes, in writing, within 30 days of any change. You may also log into your account and update your email or physical address under the demographics page.

THE HQL RENEWAL SITE IS NOT ACTIVE AT THIS TIME.

Additional information and instructions will be posted here once the site is active.

ftg6897

Feb 24, 2023
    Laurel MD
    My checklist updated today with “DJS incomplete “ and secondary review incomplete do I need to do anything or just continue to wait ?

Attachments

• 1E3459F4-63F5-4FBD-B720-12742DBD86C9.png
      1E3459F4-63F5-4FBD-B720-12742DBD86C9.png
      60.2 KB · Views: 125

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    HQL submitted 3/3, everything on checklist (except application/fee of course) remains unchecked this AM. i'm guessing this is normal and they they check everything at once after sitting on it for a while/ moving through the queue in front of me, and i know i'm being impatient but... :tap:

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    HQL submitted 3/3, everything on checklist (except application/fee of course) remains unchecked this AM. i'm guessing this is normal and they they check everything at once after sitting on it for a while/ moving through the queue in front of me, and i know i'm being impatient but... :tap:
    I purchased a pistol the day before I applied for my HQL; had the fingerprinting done at the same gun shop. I walked home with that pistol less than three weeks later (including the week waiting for the 77R to complete, and a one day delay because I didn’t notice the HQL approval email until after the gun shop had closed for the night.)

Assuming you have a clean background, you should have your HQL either by the end of this week or sometime next week.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023

I purchased a pistol the day before I applied for my HQL; had the fingerprinting done at the same gun shop. I walked home with that pistol less than three weeks later (including the week waiting for the 77R to complete, and a one day delay because I didn’t notice the HQL approval email until after the gun shop had closed for the night.)

Assuming you have a clean background, you should have your HQL either by the end of this week or sometime next week.
    i should have held off, rechecked tonight and now almost everything is completed or n/a, except training and secondary review marked as incomplete. hopefully that's because i submitted as training exempt with my NJ hunter safety card used as the training exemption, and not some other funny business going on. i did email the MSP to verify that my NJ hunter safety would suffice, and was told yes, but of course this newbie is still a bit nervous he messed something up. time will tell, guessing this is normal and the hunter card will be reviewed in secondary/should move forward soon (fingers crossed)

3/15 following day edit: just got my approval email, shouldn't have stressed last night! 8 business days/ 12 days total so i chose 8 in the poll above, hope that's accurate

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom