• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    So, I picked up a G43. I wanted to give my impression for those considering one, and also feedback on sights & magazine extensions.

I needed a compact, thin 9mm. I thought about the PPS, Shield, and LC9S Pro, but settled on the Glock. Frankly, I am just so used to shooting Glock pistols that I didn't see any compelling reason to switch to another platform.

I'll start out by saying fit and finish is of course as good as any other Glock you would buy. There really isn't too much to say...if you're unfamiliar with Glock pistols, their reliability, battery of arms, aftermarket support, etc, there are plenty of great YouTube videos out there. It is not noticeably different than any other Glock, just much smaller.

So, if you DON'T already own Glocks and are in the market for small, thin 9mm, should you purchase one? Maybe. The only two things I don't like about this gun are the price and the magazine capacity. Magazine capacity sucks, and that's just the way it is. 6 + 1. Other, lower priced competitors have higher stock magazine capacity. If I wasn't so used to the Glock trigger and Glock design, I probably would have opted for the LC9s Pro.

Speaking of magazine capacity...I have put 300 rounds through this gun, split equally between stock mags, Pearce +1 extensions, and the Vickers +2 extensions. No malfunctions with any of them. I'd prefer another 100 rounds through them to be completely confident, but so far, so good. Installation is easy as pie...if you can strip your mag, you can install them.

Sights are personal preference. For a defensive pistol as opposed to a target pistol, I prefer Ameriglo Spartan Operator sights with an orange front. You can see in the pictures below, but I go with a bright green tritium front with a large orange outline, and a blacked out rear sight with two orange tritium vials. In the day, you essentially have a blacked out rear sight w/ bright orange front, which is my preference. At night, you have orange rear tritium with a bright green tritium front. Pretty cool, even though I am not one of those people who think night sights are a "must". And at $90, these are quality sights for less than the Trijicon HDs. Actually, I think Trijicon makes the vials for Ameriglo.

All things considered, it is a great little gun. I'd love it if the stock mags came with one more round, but the extensions seem reliable.

I have also fired the G42 right before the G43. The difference in recoil is incredible. I was not expecting it. The G42 felt like a pea shooter. The 42 is essentially the same as the 43, just chambered in .380, for those who don't know.

Attachments

• 20170626_114820.jpg
      20170626_114820.jpg
      26.6 KB · Views: 432
    • 20170626_114857.jpg
      20170626_114857.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 430
    • 20170626_114749.jpg
      20170626_114749.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 423
    • 20170626_114729.jpg
      20170626_114729.jpg
      32.2 KB · Views: 439

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Great information. What made you choose the 43 over the 42? Two of my carry guns are chambered in .380 and I prefer shooting that over the 9mm (or the 40 I used to carry). As you pointed out, .380 recoil is negligible compared to 9mm. One of the reasons I went to .380 was for second shot recovery. Another was it is a lot more pleasant to train with a small 380 versus a small 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Great information. What made you choose the 43 over the 42? Two of my carry guns are chambered in .380 and I prefer shooting that over the 9mm (or the 40 I used to carry). As you pointed out, .380 recoil is negligible compared to 9mm. One of the reasons I went to .380 was for second shot recovery. Another was it is a lot more pleasant to train with a small 380 versus a small 9mm.

It is personal preference. I don't particularly care for the .380 unless it is in a tiny package, tinier than the G42 (think Ruger LCP). I prefer the more powerful 9mm cartridge. Also, 9mm seems to be more readily available, and less expensive to shoot. I don't think there's anything wrong with the G42, but 9mm is definitely my preference.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    It is personal preference. I don't particularly care for the .380 unless it is in a tiny package, tinier than the G42 (think Ruger LCP). I prefer the more powerful 9mm cartridge. Also, 9mm seems to be more readily available, and less expensive to shoot. I don't think there's anything wrong with the G42, but 9mm is definitely my preference.

That makes sense. 9mm is cheaper than 380. I will say that 380 availability and price has significantly improved in the last few years. Even at Wal-Mart, you can usually find three to five flavors of 380 ball and one or two types of JHP.
    I can agree about the package size making the difference in going to 380. You don't save size or weight with the 42, so if you're going Glock, I get it. When I went to 380, I got the Beretta Pico. At 18mm thick and 11.5 ounces empty, it is a joy to carry. I also prefer DAO for carry. Plus, it has an integrated laser.
    You were smart for adding the mag extensions. It's amazing how much better it feels to shoot a mouse gun when you can get all three fingers on the grip.
    e41cbe939c25d31f2e70820e774c0c07.jpg

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    That makes sense. 9mm is cheaper than 380. I will say that 380 availability and price has significantly improved in the last few years. Even at Wal-Mart, you can usually find three to five flavors of 380 ball and one or two types of JHP.
    I can agree about the package size making the difference in going to 380. You don't save size or weight with the 42, so if you're going Glock, I get it. When I went to 380, I got the Beretta Pico. At 18mm thick and 11.5 ounces empty, it is a joy to carry. I also prefer DAO for carry. Plus, it has an integrated laser.
    You were smart for adding the mag extensions. It's amazing how much better it feels to shoot a mouse gun when you can get all three fingers on the grip.
    e41cbe939c25d31f2e70820e774c0c07.jpg

Yeah, 380 availability has definitely improved dramatically for sure. Used to be that I couldn't find it anywhere (During the first ammo scare of 2008 :lol2:)

That's cool--I have never fired a Pico. I've put a few hundred rounds through an LCP though and thought it was a pretty cool pocket gun. I don't mind 380 if I'm going LCP or Pico size.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I have over 500 rounds downrange with my G43 with Vickers +2 without any issues.

My only issue is finding a comfortable IWB and or OWB holster. Getting costly, tried Blade Tech's: IWB $49.99 & OWB $79.99.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Excellent write up. May I ask how much you paid? You noted the price as being a downside and I'm curious how it stacks up against competitors.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Mag extensions on the G43 are readily available but a bit expensive. I have Taran Tactical +1, +2, & +3 extensions and a stock mag with magguts which gives +1. Taran Tactical mag extensions are high quality aluminum and the +2 & +3 versions come with extra power magazine springs.. My G43 is typically carried with the magguts +1 for flush mount concealability and the Taran Tactical +3 as a spare. It is most comfortable to shoot with the Taran Tactical +1 & +2 extensions. The +3 is admittedly awkward but great for a spare. Function has been flawless with each extension and the magguts. The ability to pack 9+1 in a gun this small is awesome. The size of the G43 is excellent. Recoil is not bad at all, even with +p ammo. My wife can comfortably empty a magazine of +p from my G43. I can see no reason to go with the more expensive to shoot and far less powerful .380 version aka the G42. The balance of the gun is excellent, much better IMHO than the S&W Shield which I got rid of as soon as the G43 became available.

This is one gun that you can carry in almost any attire without worrying about printing. There are infinite ways to carry a gun this small and light, just a few ideas:

Bugbite - calf/ankle holster
    Desantis Diehard - ankle holster
    AIWB numerous
    Little Foxx hybrid IWB
    Belly band
    Smart carry
    Desantis nemesis sticky pocket holster

Excellent gun choice OP.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    My only issue is finding a comfortable IWB and or OWB holster. Getting costly, tried Blade Tech's: IWB $49.99 & OWB $79.99.

I use the G-Code Incog with a mag caddy for IWB carry on my G43. Definitely not cheap, but it's very comfortable. I have plenty of extra padding around the middle, and it's still comfortable. It's not cheap, though, at over $100.

http://www.haleystrategic.com/equipment/holsters-and-carrier/incog-iwb-holster-mag-caddy-glock-43

As far as OWB goes, I personally don't see ever carrying such a small gun that way. I use a Bravo Concealment OWB holster for my 19, which I really like. They make holsters for the 43, and they only cost $45.

https://www.bravoconcealment.com/co.../owb-kydex-gun-holster-bca?variant=4265511681

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    I have a product called magguts in my glock 42. It adds an extra round to the magazine without adding any length. Its basically a thin metal follower on the magazine instead of the chunky plastic one glock has. I've shot hundreds of rounds o various ammo through mine without any malfunctions. I highly recommend them.

Oh and I also recommend the Streamlight TLR-6 Light.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    great gun.

love the RCS Morrigan holster for a simple IWB carry.

vickers mag extensions are cheap and reliable.

I have to look into the magguts, sounds great. the +2 vickers diminishes the conceal-ability quite a bit.

I recommend everyone to own a 19 and a 43. that is all you need. shoot shoot shoot.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Excellent write up. May I ask how much you paid? You noted the price as being a downside and I'm curious how it stacks up against competitors.

I bought it while it was on sale but I think the sticker price on it was $500 on the black version. My color was a little bit more expensive by $20 or $30, but I have enough black guns. I think Cabellas sells the black version for 500. If I went with the LC9S pro I expect I could have paid 100-150 less than the Glock. For a pocket gun, which Is what this gun was bought for, I didn't feel like paying $500. But, I also like to practice, and at around 5000 rounds I would have probably thought (incorrectly or not) the LC9S Pro would need some major part replacement (because of my experience with the LCP). I don't have that concern at all with the Glock, so I paid the extra $.

great gun.

love the RCS Morrigan holster for a simple IWB carry.

vickers mag extensions are cheap and reliable.

I have to look into the magguts, sounds great. the +2 vickers diminishes the conceal-ability quite a bit.

I recommend everyone to own a 19 and a 43. that is all you need. shoot shoot shoot.

:thumbsup: My G19 is my favorite gun that I own.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Great review. I fired one at Continental a few months back. I was surprised at how much I liked it. If I could COW it would be near top of the list, and I'm not a glock guy.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    After 18 months of EDC with my Glock 43, I'm a big fan with two reservations. My other carry choice for a small 9mm was the Sig 938 which has an extra round but the simplicity of the striker won out. My biggest gripe on the 43 is the factory sights which I now have Trijicons on order. I also found the Sig to be a little more accurate. I love the compactness of my Tulster, kydex holster but I don't like the mag release being exposed which I've hit a few times while carrying or putting in my waistband. I also carry on the rear hip which can apply a lot of pressure on the firearm when sitting. The edge of the holster is right on the rear sight and will push on the rear sight and move it over time. I'm hoping the Trijicons will resolve this.

During the summertime when I'm wearing less clothing, I use the 6 round mag to avoid printing. During fall, winter and spring, the 8 round mag as I'm wearing thicker clothes and more layers. The Steamlight is great for the flashlight but not a huge fan of lasers.

MQykQrB.jpg

H30o9tS.jpg

pT3mG66.jpg

NV3stqO.jpg

V91O32r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984