• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well, I'm going to attempt to get my permit.

I guess I have to get this ridiculous class before doing anything else or staring the application process.

I am a relatively experienced handgun shooter and have a good working knowledge of handguns and their operation. But I have to do the class for the permit.

Prefer to so it 1 on 1 so it moves faster but am willing to join others.

Thanks!

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    Maryland mandates 16 hours of instruction for the Wear and Carry. Any MSP certified instructor willing to shorten this is putting their own butts on the line and I don't know any who would do this.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maryland mandates 16 hours of instruction for the Wear and Carry. Any MSP certified instructor willing to shorten this is putting their own butts on the line and I don't know any who would do this.

Where did he say he wanted someone to shorten it?

Going through 16 hours with 1 person is MUCH faster than going through it with 20.
    Problem is, it would cost $1,000 instead of $250-300.
    Well, I'd have to charge that much. :)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Where did he say he wanted someone to shorten it?

Going through 16 hours with 1 person is MUCH faster than going through it with 20.
    Problem is, it would cost $1,000 instead of $250-300.
    Well, I'd have to charge that much. :)

16 hours is 16 hours.. 1 student to 20 students.

Only going to cut time on range/qualification time. Roughly .. 15-30 mins. Give or take. Depending on how big the range is and how.many instructors are available.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    16 hours is 16 hours.. 1 student to 20 students.

Only going to cut time on range/qualification time. Roughly .. 15-30 mins. Give or take. Depending on how big the range is and how.many instructors are available.

So, 1 person asking 1 or less questions takes the same amount of time as 20 asking 1 question each?

Also, you're telling me an instructor will make the same amount of money on 1 person compared to 10-15-20?

Not worth an instructor's time to teach 1 person.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

Woah woah. I didn't mean that I wanted to pay someone to just sign off on a piece of paper. I know they have to teach the full class and I fully intend on doing it. I just figured that it would go faster with one student than twenty. Wasn't sure if there were mandated courses of fire, exams, and topics that must be covered versus an actual "you must be here for 16 hours no matter what." If it was the former, I figured it would go faster if it was just me.

The law is the law. I don't like it, but I fully intend on abiding by it :)

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Pm woodstock. He may be able to help you ;)

thank you protegeV.

for the rest of the peanut gallery, i contacted the state police and told them i ONLY do 1 to 1 ratio unless it's friends and family or co-workers. is the 16 hour requirement a mandate or can i modify it to the student? my argument is, i can actually go over much more information with one to two students in a shorter period of time since the learning curve is shortened, the questions aren't by numerous individuals at different learning levels and experience. another question to the state police was also applied to those renewing their permit for the 8 hours. without hesitation he stated that it must be as it is in guidelines or i maybe in violation of maryland law and subject myself to perjury, lose my credentials and suffer the fines and other consequences.

yes, the student will pay more for the 1 to 1 training, but that beats taking a "mill" course, then realize you need additional training to be the safest, professional you can be while armed in public.

if the OP would like to discuss other details, please feel free to PM me.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Well, I'm going to attempt to get my permit.

I guess I have to get this ridiculous class before doing anything else or staring the application process.

I am a relatively experienced handgun shooter and have a good working knowledge of handguns and their operation. But I have to do the class for the permit.

Prefer to so it 1 on 1 so it moves faster but am willing to join others.

Thanks!

Why not take NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and become a MSP Certified Instructor yourself?

Exempts you from original AND renewal training, plus it's a good experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    Cant get approved unless you have had the training first.......must send in your credentials of the completion of the 8 or 16 hour class with your application to the MSP.

Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Can't you wait until you're approved to get the training? Why waste the $$$ if you're gonna' be denied...

Pretty sure they allow that... Or is that just DC?

That's just DC.

OP check out Annapolis Defense and Security. They are in Odenton and run a quality operation. Plus they are IP's here.

I believe they offer the W&C permit training the first weekend of every month.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    thank you protegeV.

for the rest of the peanut gallery, i contacted the state police and told them i ONLY do 1 to 1 ratio unless it's friends and family or co-workers. is the 16 hour requirement a mandate or can i modify it to the student? my argument is, i can actually go over much more information with one to two students in a shorter period of time since the learning curve is shortened, the questions aren't by numerous individuals at different learning levels and experience. another question to the state police was also applied to those renewing their permit for the 8 hours. without hesitation he stated that it must be as it is in guidelines or i maybe in violation of maryland law and subject myself to perjury, lose my credentials and suffer the fines and other consequences.

yes, the student will pay more for the 1 to 1 training, but that beats taking a "mill" course, then realize you need additional training to be the safest, professional you can be while armed in public.

if the OP would like to discuss other details, please feel free to PM me.

Is there an approved syllabus that you follow? Reason I ask is that I can easily envision a scenario in a one on one class where you have thoroughly covered all the topics and there is still 3-4 hours left to get to 16. What then? Spend some extra time at the range? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom