• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So is there any reason not to use a 30 cal can on both 300 black and 5.56? How much better would caliber specific cans be?

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Actually as a general rule 30 cal cans tend to do better on 5.56 than their 5.56 counterparts due to the increased size/volume. The only advantage would be the weight. But with all the new materials/titanium etc, the weight difference is negligible.

Unless there's a screaming deal on a 5.56 can you might as well get a 30 cal for all your boogaloo needs.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Saker has removable front end caps so you can swap down to a .22 hole. Supposedly it makes it quieter but I haven't done an A-B comparison. Using the .30 cal cap makes 5.56 pretty quiet.

Part of me thinks the "dedicated caliber cans are quieter" line originated with suppressor manufacturers and dealers. Most of us don't have access to multiple cans or audio test gear, so it's hard to tell.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    According to the industry, caliber specific give you similar performance for less weight and length than an overbore can. I only have one 5.56 specific can (YHM Turbo), with a Turbo K pending. I would rather have a turbo hanging off the end of my 10.5" SBR than a Resonator, but I could deal. YMMV, I don't really have a strong opinion on the subject other than I prefer to dedicate a suppressor to a rifle, and what kind of can I put on there is specific to the rifle (caliber specific, overbore, lightweight, whatever makes sense). But I am dumb and am up to like 9 suppressors and counting, so . . .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I have both, there is not a noticeable difference. Theoretically there should be, but practically I dont see it.

Only thing I would note about an overbore can, besides versatility, you are somewhat less likely to get an end cap or baffle strike if the can comes loose etc. There is more tolerance for an out of alignment can. Of course, always check! But shit does happen.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    According to the industry, caliber specific give you similar performance for less weight and length than an overbore can. I only have one 5.56 specific can (YHM Turbo), with a Turbo K pending. I would rather have a turbo hanging off the end of my 10.5" SBR than a Resonator, but I could deal. YMMV, I don't really have a strong opinion on the subject other than I prefer to dedicate a suppressor to a rifle, and what kind of can I put on there is specific to the rifle (caliber specific, overbore, lightweight, whatever makes sense). But I am dumb and am up to like 9 suppressors and counting, so . . .

I only have 1 can, so I am only 1/9th as smart as you ;)

[EDIT] And it's just a rimfire can; not sure that even counts.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    The Saker has removable front end caps so you can swap down to a .22 hole. Supposedly it makes it quieter but I haven't done an A-B comparison. Using the .30 cal cap makes 5.56 pretty quiet.

Part of me thinks the "dedicated caliber cans are quieter" line originated with suppressor manufacturers and dealers. Most of us don't have access to multiple cans or audio test gear, so it's hard to tell.

One of these days I will need to remember my sound testing equipment from work and actually test this stuff out

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I only have 1 can, so I am only 1/9th as smart as you ;)

[EDIT] And it's just a rimfire can; not sure that even counts.
    Of course they count! You paid your $200 and waited just like everyone else. When my kids are ready to learn, I am going to teach them to shoot on a suppressed .22 rifle.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    That's why I got the SiCo Hybrid. Everything from .223 to .45-70 and you can get .223/.308/.46 end caps (I just stick with the .46 one less I forget which one is on)

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I have a hybrid with all the endcaps as well as a few dedicated suppressors.

-For both super and sub 300blk I can tell a difference between the .46 cap and the .30 cap .
    -Supersonic .223 seems like it is just loud through every suppressor, never heard a "hearing safe" .223. I can barely tell a difference with a .22 endcap vs the bigger ones on the hybrid.
    -I never use the .22 endcap, .46 endcap gets used for 450 bushmaster, 45-70, 9mm and 45auto, .300 for everything else.
    -The mounting system is the more important place to spend money.

I tell my friends to get two supressors, a multi cal .30 or .46, and a dedicated 22lr.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

-For both super and sub 300blk I can tell a difference between the .46 cap and the .30 cap .
    -Supersonic .223 seems like it is just loud through every suppressor, never heard a "hearing safe" .223. I can barely tell a difference with a .22 endcap vs the bigger ones on the hybrid.
    -I never use the .22 endcap, .46 endcap gets used for 450 bushmaster, 45-70, 9mm and 45auto, .300 for everything else.

I tell my friends to get two supressors, a multi cal .30 or .46, and a dedicated 22lr.

Good advice.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Excellent. I already have the 22 LR; I'll just get a nice 30 cal.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

I gotta get a threaded barrel for a 556 so I can see how loud it actually is but until then , and since you obviously have experience with this and I don’t, is it just as loud as without a suppressor and are there any decent 556 or 223 subsoniccsmmo that’s any good?

I just picked up my 30 cal can and haven’t had time to try it out yet

Thanks for anything you can enlighten me with

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I gotta get a threaded barrel for a 556 so I can see how loud it actually is but until then , and since you obviously have experience with this and I don’t, is it just as loud as without a suppressor and are there any decent 556 or 223 subsoniccsmmo that’s any good?

I just picked up my 30 cal can and haven’t had time to try it out yet

Thanks for anything you can enlighten me with

.223 subsonic hits about as hard as .22 subs. Not impressive. .223 is loud. A suppressed AR is about as loud as an unsuppressed.22 firing supers.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I prefer 30cal cans on my 556 guns. Less back pressure, more volume, less anxiety over baffle strikes.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    .223 subsonic hits about as hard as .22 subs. Not impressive. .223 is loud. A suppressed AR is about as loud as an unsuppressed.22 firing supers.

Thanks doc!

I gotta get my gear straight for springtime!

If my tugged surge is a cool as my rugged obsidian 45 I will be tickled to death!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom