• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    As a trustee on my brothers trust, if I buy a suppressor or build an SBR can I add it to the trust or is he the only one who can add items? Also, how does ownership work in that situation?

I have a 10.5" AR pistol I want to SBR, since MD knows I own the lower does adding it to his trust cause any kind of transfer of ownership? I know he wouldn't remove me from the trust, but if ownership transfers I'm probably better off getting my own and then just adding him as a trustee so he can use the items.

I'd like to think I'm overthinking this, but I never know with MD.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you already own it as a SBR, you would have to do a form 4 to transfer it to the trust. You can't just add it.
    If you are going F1 it using the trust, the trust is the owner and the trustees need to go through the process.
    Do your own trust if you are worried about him taking you off. Once in the trust, the trust owns it not you.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As a trustee on my brothers trust, if I buy a suppressor or build an SBR can I add it to the trust or is he the only one who can add items? Also, how does ownership work in that situation?

I have a 10.5" AR pistol I want to SBR, since MD knows I own the lower does adding it to his trust cause any kind of transfer of ownership? I know he wouldn't remove me from the trust, but if ownership transfers I'm probably better off getting my own and then just adding him as a trustee so he can use the items.

I'd like to think I'm overthinking this, but I never know with MD.

Trustees are allowed to make, receive, and dispose for trust property at will. You can do a Form 1 to manufacture a SBR for the trust, as a trustee.

There is no transfer of ownership.

Use your brothers trust and enjoy the NFA game.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Trustees are allowed to make, receive, and dispose for trust property at will. You can do a Form 1 to manufacture a SBR for the trust, as a trustee.

There is no transfer of ownership.

Use your brothers trust and enjoy the NFA game.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting my own trust and we will just be adding each other as trustees in the future if we want the other to have access to items. Figured it was less work if one of us wanted to do a Form 1, we don't have to chase down the other for fingerprints.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting my own trust and we will just be adding each other as trustees in the future if we want the other to have access to items. Figured it was less work if one of us wanted to do a Form 1, we don't have to chase down the other for fingerprints.
    If that is the way you want to go, buy all the stuff you really want, then add him to the trust. That way you don't have to get prints and everything from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom