• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DYI01

Jan 8, 2015
    0223160742_zpsha22abak.jpg

0223160741_zps2arjkagx.jpg

Form1 suppressor built using SDTA muzzle break/Ti tube/ends, and formed stainless steel FPs using the J&S Tactical forming tool. I have only shot it at an indoor range so far but it sounds pretty damn quiet with subs. The real test will be when I get it outdoors and without hearing protection. I added a heavier "heavybuffers.com" 9mm buffer to go along with a rifle length XP wolff spring I had to make it work a bit better while suppressed.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    0223160742_zpsha22abak.jpg

0223160741_zps2arjkagx.jpg

Form1 suppressor built using SDTA muzzle break/Ti tube/ends, and formed stainless steel FPs using the J&S Tactical forming tool. I have only shot it at an indoor range so far but it sounds pretty damn quiet with subs. The real test will be when I get it outdoors and without hearing protection. I added a heavier "heavybuffers.com" 9mm buffer to go along with a rifle length XP wolff spring I had to make it work a bit better while suppressed.

Sweet, congrats!

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Rail came in and stamps approved.

Now I just need my to decide on optics.

Very nice! I thought I was done with stamps but just built an AR in .40 so I need another can.

Which selector are you using? Looks like one of the 45 or 60 degree selectors I tried that had the positions backwards. Safe was 45 or 60 and fire was at the 90 position.

DYI01

Jan 8, 2015
    Sweet, congrats!

If not for this thread, I wouldn't have even attempted this or even thought of trying it, thanks for that!

Question: Since you've built a few of these solvent trap suppressors, is it worth doing any modifications to the baffles? ie: clips, mouse holes etc... or is a standard plug formed and drilled with the J&S tactical tool the best way to go?

I have another approved form1 in hand to build a 45 acp pistol suppressor that will be mainly used on 9mm hosts (future proofing). Its going to be based on a 8" SDTA Ti tube and endcaps with a Liberty booster. Initial design I have thought up is 9 formed baffles, .5" spacer, baffle, .5" spacer, inverted and non formed FP, and ~1.3" spacer to the endcap with booster.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    If not for this thread, I wouldn't have even attempted this or even thought of trying it, thanks for that!

Question: Since you've built a few of these solvent trap suppressors, is it worth doing any modifications to the baffles? ie: clips, mouse holes etc... or is a standard plug formed and drilled with the J&S tactical tool the best way to go?

I have another approved form1 in hand to build a 45 acp pistol suppressor that will be mainly used on 9mm hosts (future proofing). Its going to be based on a 8" SDTA Ti tube and endcaps with a Liberty booster. Initial design I have thought up is 9 formed baffles, .5" spacer, baffle, .5" spacer, inverted and non formed FP, and ~1.3" spacer to the endcap with booster.

No problem, glad to help get people to exercise their rights!

In my opinion clipping is not good for freeze plugs, the shallowness of the plug doesn't allow porting to work like a machined baffle. We have seen accuracy issues when attempting to do so.

Mouse holes or relief holes are needed when they are needed. The design of the host and ammo has more of an impact on wether or not they are needed.

The pistol can should work well, I would ditch the non formed plugs and just form them all. Testing has shown that works better.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Very nice! I thought I was done with stamps but just built an AR in .40 so I need another can.

Which selector are you using? Looks like one of the 45 or 60 degree selectors I tried that had the positions backwards. Safe was 45 or 60 and fire was at the 90 position.

I believe it was the battle arms model, first time I used one and I like it.

DYI01

Jan 8, 2015
    No problem, glad to help get people to exercise their rights!

In my opinion clipping is not good for freeze plugs, the shallowness of the plug doesn't allow porting to work like a machined baffle. We have seen accuracy issues when attempting to do so.

Mouse holes or relief holes are needed when they are needed. The design of the host and ammo has more of an impact on wether or not they are needed.

The pistol can should work well, I would ditch the non formed plugs and just form them all. Testing has shown that works better.

Thanks for the input. I assume that back pressure would be the deciding factor for if the mouse holes are needed and used to tune the amount of gas blow back wanted or needed?

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Thanks for this!!! This thread and a certain IP's Christmas trust special prodded me to get a trust. Last night I filed my first Form 1, using this thread as a template. Plan on submitting quite a few more before July!

I just wish the approval time was't so bad...:sad20:

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for this!!! This thread and a certain IP's Christmas trust special prodded me to get a trust. Last night I filed my first Form 1, using this thread as a template. Plan on submitting quite a few more before July!

I just wish the approval time was't so bad...:sad20:

No problem, glad to help!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I am going to build one suppressor and buy one. One will be for a .22 bolt action and one for a 5.56. I figure I should buy the dedicated .22. It is cheaper that way, and I am more concerned with the .22 being as quiet as possible. Is my thought process a good way to go with this?

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    Form 1 submitted this morning. they happened to have the model name i wanted to use already however not in the right caliber. so guess well see how long it takes. its marked as "research" right now. thank you Weber for the time you look in helping out this thread.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Form 1 submitted this morning. they happened to have the model name i wanted to use already however not in the right caliber. so guess well see how long it takes. its marked as "research" right now. thank you Weber for the time you look in helping out this thread.

No problem, keep an eye out on how long it takes to get your status changed from research to submitted/in process. My last one I had to send s few emails to get them to change it, took about a month to change when normally it was just a couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom