• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    Anyone have any info on Summer Biathlon in this area?

I was a winter biathlete growing up in Upstate NY. I was a member of USBA and NYSSRA. Seeing how there is not enough snow for winter biathlon, I figured there would be some sort of summer biathlon interest here in MD.

Google searching has an organization in NJ. http://www.njbiathlon.org/ but not much more than that.

There was a summer biathlon event in 2000 at AGC. http://www.marylandbiathlon.org/ is no longer active.

I've done Summer Biathlon at the Lake Placid OTC in NY. Mt. Van Hovenberg is an amazing facility.

It could be done here in MD.

Typically need a range with biathlon style targets and a 1-2 mile loop to run.
    Run, shoot - standing, run, shoot - prone, run to finish. So generally that makes it a 3-4 mile run with shooting. (distance/shooting can be added for different age/ability/groupings)

Summer biathlon you do not run with your gun on your back, you come in to the range, pick up your gun, shoot, place your gun back on the rack, go run. Misses either add time to your overall OR you go in to the penalty loop and run 1 lap per miss (100 yrd loop). Bolt action with 5-round magazines, open or peep sights.

I would love to get back into this sport and compete in Summer Biathlon again.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I started a thread about this here on MDS a few years ago and at the time there were no summer biathlons any closer than northern NJ.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    They did it at AGC several years ago-it was a lot of fun but I heard it pissed people off because it closed the whole place down for most of a day.They never had another one as far as I know.

matt_f

Dec 27, 2013
    I know this post is a couple months old, I grew up in Boulder, Co where there is an abundance of winter and summer bi's. Having moved here I haven't been able to find any and have thus been doing a private biathlon with an air rifle by myself(although I don't carry the rifle when I run & don't go by the book with targets and such), I've even done it with my compound bow(talk about challenging!! Lets just say, I've lost some arrows:) ). Would love to get with others who would be interested in a little fun, friendly, competition. I'm in Ellicott City and have a 1/2 acre surrounded by Patapsco state park. I'm at the end of a cul-de-sac with one neighbor so there's no real issues with shooting a pellet/bb gun/rifle. Its a quiet neighborhood. My course is to run about 1.25 miles, shoot, run another 1.25 miles, shoot, and finish with another 1.25 mile run. If you guys are interested then we might be able to arrange something.

rundownfid

May 3, 2010
    From the look of the results they had a pretty good turn-out in Oil Creek, Oa.. There used to be events in the State College, Pa Area, I did a few but that was back in the 80s.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    They did it at AGC several years ago-it was a lot of fun but I heard it pissed people off because it closed the whole place down for most of a day.They never had another one as far as I know.

It was sponsored by Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club. The targets are still available but will need a lot of work as they have been left out in the elements to rust.

I am sure if someone wanted to put a event together and present it to the AGC Board of Trustees, it may get approved. The AGC has been receptive to events that get the public to the range.

0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    The NJ Summer Biathlon group seems to be the most active in the Mid-Atlantic. Upstate NY has winter and summer biathlon series and some of the NJ guys do travel. I think if it were to happen it would be best to reach out to the NJ people to see if they would help organize an event in MD at AGC or another venue.

I am not a member of AGC, so I don't get to any of the meetings. I think it would take someone who is a member to bring it up for public discussion or to gauge general interest of the clubs before submitting a official event proposal.

Do you have any idea of the # of entrants from the last summer biathlon?
    Does the contact list exist from that event?

I would certainly commit to participating in the event if it were to happen in MD.

Last edited:

Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    Interesting article about the US Biathlon team and the struggles they experience in funding. I’m a runner and shooter/hunter. I’d love to see a Maryland Summer Biathlon Event.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetor...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180206
    Man that's embarrassing. Our showing for the women's biathlon was sad today as well. You would think Americans would be dominant.

+1 for seeing a summer biathlon. I'd like it to be closer to the original biathlons. Running around with full bore military rifles instead of unobtainable toggle lock anchutzes.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    +1 for seeing a summer biathlon. I'd like it to be closer to the original biathlons. Running around with full bore military rifles instead of unobtainable toggle lock anchutzes.

I was literally just thinking this and how cool it would be.

Hrm.....a biathlon-style backpack sling for an M-44 (go big or go home) is something I'm going to have to figure out.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    The Jr program at Arlington Rifle and Pistol club is planning a Target Sprint match at the AGC and it is targeted for 28 July 2018.

The match bulletin and registration information is expected in April.

The ISSF event format is 3x400m running with 2x5 shot course of fire @ 10m with an air rifle.

- Run 400m
    - shoot 1x5 steel drop targets at 10m
    - Run 400m
    - Run 400m

I have no further details at this time - sorry - and am not sure what, if any, changes to the distance or targets will be required given the AGC facilities available - but will post the match bulletin once it's available.

Maxicooper

Sep 16, 2008
    Ellicott City, Md
    The Jr program at Arlington Rifle and Pistol club is planning a Target Sprint match at the AGC and it is targeted for 28 July 2018.

The match bulletin and registration information is expected in April.

The ISSF event format is 3x400m running with 2x5 shot course of fire @ 10m with an air rifle.

- Run 400m
    - Run 400m
    - Run 400m

I have no further details at this time - sorry - and am not sure what, if any, changes to the distance or targets will be required given the AGC facilities available - but will post the match bulletin once it's available.

07.28.18 Stay tuned!

39757121025_f433ae1b6f_z.jpg

FM2436

Nov 7, 2009
    Just registered for the Oil Creek State Park Summer Biathlon August 11th in PA. I'm looking forward to it.

http://friendsocsp.org/events/biathlon/biathlon.html

I'd love to see a series of summer biathlon events on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Interestingly, Field and Stream had an article on Summer Biathlons using a shotgun instead of using a rifle. Sounds like a cool idea. Hit 2 out of five clays to avoid the penalty lap.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/summer-biathlon-for-shotguns

I'm up to creating such an event if anyone is interested in lending some assistance.

FM2436

Nov 7, 2009
    Every Winter Olympics I become fascinated with watching the Biathlon events. Did anyone watch the 4 Team Mixed Relay finish? Absolutely incredible. I love to see a Maryland wide Biathlon series. Cross county skiing or a summer runner Biathlon series. I’m willing to help if anyone else is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom