• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I know there may be a Bass Pro sucks thread already but here goes anyway. After winning a Kimber at the Friends of the Nra raffle I had to do paperwork at Bass Pro at Arundel Mills because that is where it was being held. The guy next to me had already been waiting over an hour to pick up his gun and I knew it was going to be a long day. I had heard horror stories about this place but omg. Unfortunately, I have to go back there next week to pick it up.

You mean they didn't drop everything and have you come to the front of the line? The nerve of some people...

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    BPS is always hit or miss when it comes to getting ANYTHING that's behind the gun counter. Sadly this has grown to include all optics, and pretty much any decent ammunition. It takes forever to get an help with guns but the worst part is when you need to buy anything else, something you don't need "help" with. Just open the GD case and let me go pay for it!!

And no, I didn't ask and I don't need your advice and don't you worry about what I'm mounting my Vortex Strikefire on. I didn't ask for help nor do I need any.

My last visit was Monday. Tried to grab FDE Magpul furniture for my 300BO, stock, pistol grip, & AFG2. Only one AFG2 FDE on shelf, and it was an empty box. :envy: Grabbed pistol grip from hanging tag said FDE, box said FDE, got home was black. :envy: The MOE SL carbine stock was in fact FDE when I opened it at home. Settled for what I thought was FDE AFG, same deal on the shelf tag & the box but at home was ODG. :mad54: Going back to fix this tomorrow.

Outside of the gun counter I've had mostly good experiences there, but you just never know. None of this will stop me from going back, but now I try to get most things elsewhere if I can. I do like going there to put my hands on stuff before I look to buy online.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've never even bothered with the gun counter. Take a ticket for ice cream or deli meat? Sure. But I'm not interested in waiting around while you explain the subtle and not-so-subtle nuances of this or that gun to the average purchaser for 45 minutes at a stretch. They need an express lane for those who know what they want.

I go there for clothes (redhead stuff is built well for the price) and primers and powder if my LGS is out of what I need.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    What kinda sucks is they made me buy a $20 bore lock that I already have a box of at home. I've been told that it must be sold with the gun but that sounds like store policy, not law. Plus every handgun comes with a lock anyway so those bore locks are just another way to f**k people out of money.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    More and more I've embraced the inane catch-all; "it is what it is", and BPS is just that.

BPS has a large selection of reasonable quality merchandise at reasonable prices. They have big-box employees and big-box policies. Enter with low expectations and they will be met or exceeded. Expect a small shop customer service experience and you're likely to be disappointed.

I like that they're there. I can swing by and grab what I need, I don't need they're help unless its to fetch something that's locked away. I bought a handgun there once and it went just fine. Yes, they walked me to the door. So what? I didn't take it personally.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It can be very busy on the weekends. I try my best to go when they open during the week or lunchtime as I work a few miles down the road. I never seem to have an issue but I've never shopped for a gun on the weekends. Got a compound bow a couple years ago and the guy fitted it for me and it was spot on after adjusting the sights.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    It can be very busy on the weekends. I try my best to go when they open during the week or lunchtime as I work a few miles down the road. I never seem to have an issue but I've never shopped for a gun on the weekends. Got a compound bow a couple years ago and the guy fitted it for me and it was spot on after adjusting the sights.

+1 on the location and timing of visits.

One last complaint from me though, they changed the traffic pattern both in and out of the parking lot. It is a bit annoying getting into the lot off the loop road when coming in from the Dorsey Road end of AM Blvd. However, leaving the parking lot is a big fat PITA. There's only one way out, and it's now kinda hidden. If you don't pick the right aisle, you can't get out. I understand they did it because the entrances/exits conflicted with the incoming/outgoing traffic signals, but it's downright frustrating now. Used to be all the aisles would dump you back on the loop so you could exit to AM Blvd, now if you pick the wrong one, you have to go several more aisles over, not just one more, to get out.

I got the hang of it now, but it's way more congested funneling everyone out of one aisle as opposed to several. Whoever did that needs a good punching.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

One last complaint from me though, they changed the traffic pattern both in and out of the parking lot. It is a bit annoying getting into the lot off the loop road when coming in from the Dorsey Road end of AM Blvd. However, leaving the parking lot is a big fat PITA. There's only one way out, and it's now kinda hidden. If you don't pick the right aisle, you can't get out. I understand they did it because the entrances/exits conflicted with the incoming/outgoing traffic signals, but it's downright frustrating now. Used to be all the aisles would dump you back on the loop so you could exit to AM Blvd, now if you pick the wrong one, you have to go several more aisles over, not just one more, to get out.

I got the hang of it now, but it's way more congested funneling everyone out of one aisle as opposed to several. Whoever did that needs a good punching.

That mall has been a fustercluck since day one. If you're just going to Ass Pro then enter and exit by the overpriced Exxon and BOA. Fairly easy peasy....

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I had a great customer service experience with the Bow department @ Arundel Mills. The staffer that help me was much younger then I but had a wealth of knowledge. Helped me set up my bow properly and got me centered in just a few shots. Never bought a gun from them but the few times I waited in line to look or even ask a question, they seemed as though they weren't interested. I had that experience on different occasions with different counter people. If you don't have a passion for firearms, don't work at the firearms counter.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County

Hopefully your exit route doesn't take you through the parking lot for AACC. We wouldn't want to get in trouble for having a gun on a college campus.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hopefully your exit route doesn't take you through the parking lot for AACC. We wouldn't want to get in trouble for having a gun on a college campus.
    Ha. It does now. Didn't use to. :sad20:

I still do like the place though, you just need to know the "rules" so to speak:

1 - Most everything in there you can get cheaper somewhere else.
    2 - Most guns are MSRP (haven't really seen above MSRP gouging before there)
    3- They do run decent sales for guns if you keep an eye out
    4 - The gun counter is VERY VERY SLOW. Seriously, carve out 2 hrs min.
    5 - They have a huge selection if you want an item relatively fast or just want to put hands on it before buying online.
    6 - On a whole you will know more about the guns/optics/ammo you're buying than the guy selling it to you. Research all specs before going in.
    7 - Archery Dept guys have consistently shown me they know their stuff.
    8 - Never ever ever ever buy a gun during Xmas or the big Fall Hunting Sale. Unless you literally have 4 hours + to kill.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I had a great customer service experience with the Bow department @ Arundel Mills. The staffer that help me was much younger then I but had a wealth of knowledge. Helped me set up my bow properly and got me centered in just a few shots. Never bought a gun from them but the few times I waited in line to look or even ask a question, they seemed as though they weren't interested. I had that experience on different occasions with different counter people. If you don't have a passion for firearms, don't work at the firearms counter.

Same here.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Ha. It does now. Didn't use to. :sad20:

I still do like the place though, you just need to know the "rules" so to speak:

1 - Most everything in there you can get cheaper somewhere else.
    2 - Most guns are MSRP (haven't really seen above MSRP gouging before there)
    3- They do run decent sales for guns if you keep an eye out
    4 - The gun counter is VERY VERY SLOW. Seriously, carve out 2 hrs min.
    5 - They have a huge selection if you want an item relatively fast or just want to put hands on it before buying online.
    6 - On a whole you will know more about the guns/optics/ammo you're buying than the guy selling it to you. Research all specs before going in.
    7 - Archery Dept guys have consistently shown me they know their stuff.
    8 - Never ever ever ever buy a gun during Xmas or the big Fall Hunting Sale. Unless you literally have 4 hours + to kill.

I can't speak for their knowledge, they know more than me, but they stopped me from spending money on something that looked oooo shiny when I was looking at a clearance crossbow, they showed me another better model and compared features with the clearance model. After about 5 minutes I got the clue that they were telling me there was a reason that bow was on clearance.

As for the gun counter ... it amazes be that the bow guys can be right next to the gun guys and be so different to deal with

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    What kinda sucks is they made me buy a $20 bore lock that I already have a box of at home. I've been told that it must be sold with the gun but that sounds like store policy, not law. Plus every handgun comes with a lock anyway so those bore locks are just another way to f**k people out of money.

That must be store policy...the requirement is that every new handgun sold must leave the store with an approved lock. If your lock is state approved its all you need too satisfy the law. The store has two motives at play...increase sales and profits plus it takes the legal liability off them by providing the lock.

I've been to gun stores that will throw the lock in with the purchase...at least when vendors were giving them the locks gratis, and stores that tell you if you bring your own lock you won't have to buy one from them. These are locally owned gun stores. Chain stores have blanket procedures and policies so all stores do things in a standard way.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No, not every gun comes with a lock.

But, it is true that the law does not require a lock to be sold with the pistol, but that is store policy in a number of stores, not just Bass Pro.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    No, not every gun comes with a lock.

But, it is true that the law does not require a lock to be sold with the pistol, but that is store policy in a number of stores, not just Bass Pro.
    I don't know what guns you have bought. I can't think of one that didn't at least come with the cable style padlock. Even a $169 Sccy comes with a trigger lock. A little off topic of course but I thought I would respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom