• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 13, 2005
    I have multiple kits in numerous places, some I built up myself, some assembled by some smarter folks than me. The key is to know how to use what's in your kit and learn how to use other things you need that you might not be aware of for conditions that you plausibly might encounter. And take a class or two, not just in first aid but in situational, stressful conditions on how to apply aid to specific trauma.

I HIGHLY recommend 3C medical (https://3cmedical.com/) for some very well thought out custom kits that are built for quick access to what you need quickly.

The owners are super pro-2A and an 07-02 FFL (MOD Outfitters) who specialize in quality AK things, as well as armor, and are probably one of the most knowledgeable on the AK platform in the US, if not the world.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Has anyone considered an ankle rig kit? Mo' money. Warrior Poet Society WPS looks interesting in addition to Lynx, Ryker, Wilderness and host of others.

paperwork351

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Instead of intubation gear, King airways might be a whole lot easier. Take up a lot less room, super easy to use, and effective.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    In my car I have a get home bag. The trauma kit is on the side.....

:lol:

You have a trauma bag in your car, I had...... well, those were my rides last summer. Field medical emergency vehicles. One driver (medic), one passenger (MD), carries a lot of stuff for serious preclinical work if an ambulance is not enough.

I read a lot here about stuff that you really should know how to work. Carry and ET-Tube? Can you fix a cannot intubate/cannot ventilate situation? Is it compatible with the standard ventilators carried on the ambulances in your area? Do you happen to carry enough sedatives to keep the patient comfortable?

Same with a lot of other gear, you are using material that is designed to keep people alive in field medicine where you will not have access to medical care or at least limited care for >24 hours. Unless you plan to go off the grid and walk somewhere for several hours where you cannot be a) contacted b) reached by vehicle or c) airlifted out, all you really need is to keep the patient stable until he can be evacuated.
    If you have and A or B problem, how are you going to go about moving the patient after you have an ET tube, combi tube or even larynx mask in? How many people do you think does it take to move a ventilated patient without loosing the airway and if you don´t carry a ventilator or even a spine board or stretcher?

My best bet for most people not in the medical profession:
    - take a decent first aid course
    - take a refresher regularly
    - In an emergency focus on the basics. Air goes in/out and blood round and round........ looks like a winner.
    - you can temporary fix a lot of things with a basic first aid kit (not a glorified band aid box) and you can bloody improvise a lot (triangular bandage is king). You do not need fancy gear for most things.
    - if you go off the grid, take a decent wilderness medicine course
    - you cannot save them all

And no, I do not carry a full emergency kit in my private car. It stops at bag&mask (´cause a lot of yuck) and two sizes of tourniquet.

Attachments

• NFE alt und neu.jpg
      NFE alt und neu.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 147

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have an AED also. I carry it with me when I travel and take car trips.

Great idea.

I carry an AED too.

I suspect The chances that you would encounter someone in cardiac arrest is much higher than the chances of encountering someone shot. You can buy used units with new batteries for about $350-$550. I picked up a spare set of pads too because I think they have a 2yr expiration date.

My brother died of a heart attack and I often think that had I been there I might have been able to save him. I’ve been on a construction site where a worker suffered a heart attack my parents are well into their 70’s. So it’s always in my car ready to go and during non-covid holidays I bring it inside when we have a lot of elderly guests and family around.

So if anyone reading has some extra time and money take a CPR class and buy an AED. You might save someone’s life someday.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    :lol:

You have a trauma bag in your car, I had...... well, those were my rides last summer. Field medical emergency vehicles. One driver (medic), one passenger (MD), carries a lot of stuff for serious preclinical work if an ambulance is not enough.

I read a lot here about stuff that you really should know how to work. Carry and ET-Tube? Can you fix a cannot intubate/cannot ventilate situation? Is it compatible with the standard ventilators carried on the ambulances in your area? Do you happen to carry enough sedatives to keep the patient comfortable?

Same with a lot of other gear, you are using material that is designed to keep people alive in field medicine where you will not have access to medical care or at least limited care for >24 hours. Unless you plan to go off the grid and walk somewhere for several hours where you cannot be a) contacted b) reached by vehicle or c) airlifted out, all you really need is to keep the patient stable until he can be evacuated.
    If you have and A or B problem, how are you going to go about moving the patient after you have an ET tube, combi tube or even larynx mask in? How many people do you think does it take to move a ventilated patient without loosing the airway and if you don´t carry a ventilator or even a spine board or stretcher?

My best bet for most people not in the medical profession:
    - take a decent first aid course
    - take a refresher regularly
    - In an emergency focus on the basics. Air goes in/out and blood round and round........ looks like a winner.
    - you can temporary fix a lot of things with a basic first aid kit (not a glorified band aid box) and you can bloody improvise a lot (triangular bandage is king). You do not need fancy gear for most things.
    - if you go off the grid, take a decent wilderness medicine course
    - you cannot save them all

And no, I do not carry a full emergency kit in my private car. It stops at bag&mask (´cause a lot of yuck) and two sizes of tourniquet.

I’m not a medic and don’t pretend to be. My trauma kit is basically keep someone alive until the ambulance arrives. Only so much fits in the Irak bag. I should probably put a cpr mask in.

My get home bag is in case I need to walk (15 miles) home. Possibly spend one night not home. It did come in handy during covid when I quarantined at my folks house for a couple nights (they were out of state).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Instead of intubation gear, King airways might be a whole lot easier. Take up a lot less room, super easy to use, and effective.
    King airway is a good idea.
    I read a lot here about stuff that you really should know how to work. Carry and ET-Tube? Can you fix a cannot intubate/cannot ventilate situation? Is it compatible with the standard ventilators carried on the ambulances in your area? Do you happen to carry enough sedatives to keep the patient comfortable? .
    Yes to all of the above. ET tubes have a standardized connection. Should we withhold resuscitation on anyone because they “might” have a DNR order? Truth be told, I only have it because it was being thrown away. I threw it in my bag.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Great idea.

I carry an AED too.

I suspect The chances that you would encounter someone in cardiac arrest is much higher than the chances of encountering someone shot. You can buy used units with new batteries for about $350-$550. I picked up a spare set of pads too because I think they have a 2yr expiration date.

My brother died of a heart attack and I often think that had I been there I might have been able to save him. I’ve been on a construction site where a worker suffered a heart attack my parents are well into their 70’s. So it’s always in my car ready to go and during non-covid holidays I bring it inside when we have a lot of elderly guests and family around.

So if anyone reading has some extra time and money take a CPR class and buy an AED. You might save someone’s life someday.
    I carry the AED for me primarily.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Great idea.

I carry an AED too.

I had no idea they were that cheap! I think I’ll pick one up! Thanks.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Great idea.

I carry an AED too.

I picked up a Ronco Pocket Defibrillator years ago when they were first advertised on SNL:lol2:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Has anyone considered an ankle rig kit? Mo' money. Warrior Poet Society WPS looks interesting in addition to Lynx, Ryker, Wilderness and host of others.

paperwork351

No one needs to carry one of those around town. EMS is nearby.

I love all these pages/forums where they have "EDC Dump" threads. Ridiculous the amount of crap guys carry. I love the guys who carry a tourniquet in their pocket, 2 spare mags, 2 knives, back up gun, flashlight, zippo lighter, ankle med rig..... etc...
    The most around town tourniquet-y thing I would probably do is lace a RATS tourniquet through my belt loops, maybe. (Let's not get into that discussion about RATS or CAT)
    Have all that available between your house and car though.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For the convenience shopper (yeah yeah. We all know one can go buy all items separately and save HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS), but My Medic is a nice site with all kinds of different pre packaged boo boo kits and bags. Maybe not for the EMS Professional who most likely uses North American Rescue, but the average joe, I think My Medic is great. I'm always ordering and updating with stuff from them.
    Yeah they're expensive I guess, but easy to buy from.
    https://mymedic.com/

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    No one needs to carry one of those around town. EMS is nearby.

I love all these pages/forums where they have "EDC Dump" threads. Ridiculous the amount of crap guys carry. I love the guys who carry a tourniquet in their pocket, 2 spare mags, 2 knives, back up gun, flashlight, zippo lighter, ankle med rig..... etc...

The most around town tourniquet-y thing I would probably do is lace a RATS tourniquet through my belt loops, maybe. (Let's not get into that discussion about RATS or CAT)

Have all that available between your house and car though.

Love it......

I carry in my kits.....

Tourniquet, Ankle Rig, Sling, bandage, and more......

...It's called a TRIANGULAR BANDAGE...
    ...and the Boy Scout knowledge of how to make it into a tourniquet, an ankle hitch, a sling, several types of bandages, making splints....and while we had triangular bandages in the first aid kits, most of the time we just used the triangular bandage all Scouts wear in uniform.....the neckerchief!!!!

.....of course, I've been in First Aid classes, certified as EMT-B, CRT (EMT-I), and Paramedic....and we used Triangular Bandages in all of them, but what do I know???

As for EMS being close....3 year old struck by car, broken femur....PM unit, Rescue and Fire all on scene...smallest t-strap for peds traction splint too big, keeps slipping off....lowly EMT-B (I was on Squad crew) saves the day....with a Boy Scout Ankle hitch using a triangular bandage!!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Hey, Docs.....ever practiced or done an intubation on a patient not lying flat on their back?

Saying sitting upright, like trapped in a car....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
    LOL. That's where long fingers comes in handy...

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    I have a rescue essentials FLETC kit in each car, an advanced trauma kit and a CAT in any bag/backpack I'm carrying, and a separate basic first aid/boo boo kit in the cars and at home. Stop the bleed classes are free and take about an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom