Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 2nd, 2018, 12:42 PM #11
Rifleman

Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxs View Post
Frankly, many of the very expensive guns have large premiums based on how rare they are, how extensive the engraving is, and what kind of rare quality wood they have. It would often not be difficult to get an equivalent quality firearm for a lot less money. Use the Guerini's for example. All are excellent quality guns and much of what you pay extra for on the higher end models is the 'gingerbread'. Even extra high grade wood is merely eye candy when compare to less highly figured but still very nice grade wood and doesn't necessarily make the firearm 'better' except in the eyes of the beholder.

All that said, some very nice firearms are scarce simply because there is a ton of hand work done on them which restricts the number available for sale.
From my observation, it appears that the "break point" between adding to the functional aspects of the shotgun, and where the engraving/ornamentation/wood quality takes over is between $5,000 and $10,000. Above that amount, it's purely for the additional aesthetics and rarity.

JoeR
JoeRinMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 01:21 PM #12

I like nice things.
I still have and have had some very expensive rifles.
I could see myself spending a lot of money on some Beretta EELL's if I got into that hobby.

I have intentionally ignored and avoided 1911's as I know what happens when I look at those rabbit holes...

As said above, to those with the means, these are generally tools to be used and appreciated much more than trophy room relics to stare at and wipe the dust off of occasionally. They are a status symbol, intentional or not.
"A bureaucrat is the most despicable of men, though he is needed as vultures are needed, but one hardly admires vultures whom bureaucrats so strangely resemble. I have yet to meet a bureaucrat who was not petty, dull, almost witless, crafty or stupid, an oppressor or a thief, a holder of a little authority in which he delights, as a boy delights in possessing a vicious dog. Who can trust such creatures."

-Cicero 50 B.C.

antco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:44 PM #13
Thread killer

Thread killer

You should ask Joe "shotgun " Biden. He's the expert.
Racer Doug14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 09:05 PM #14

To think, this is expendable income...
FrankOceanXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 10:00 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRinMD View Post
From my observation, it appears that the "break point" between adding to the functional aspects of the shotgun, and where the engraving/ornamentation/wood quality takes over is between $5,000 and $10,000. Above that amount, it's purely for the additional aesthetics and rarity.

JoeR
The top 4 manufacturers for competition guns: Beretta, Krieghoff, Kolar and Perazzi run 10,000-15,000 for the base guns. Berettas cheaper lines include the 680 and 690 series of guns run $2000-$5000. There’s other smaller manufacturers between the two price points. These include Caesar Guerini, Zoli, Blaser. Below is a link to Krieghoff‘s price list showing the price of the base guns and the upgrades. You can buy the guns a little cheaper than the listed prices.

https://www.krieghoff.com/wp-content...-Book-2018.pdf
Aamdskeetshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 10:02 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
I’d get a side by side. Holland and Holland.
Yes, this, absolutely. Or maybe Purdey.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 10:30 PM #17
Rifleman

Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamdskeetshooter View Post
The top 4 manufacturers for competition guns: Beretta, Krieghoff, Kolar and Perazzi run 10,000-15,000 for the base guns. Berettas cheaper lines include the 680 and 690 series of guns run $2000-$5000. There’s other smaller manufacturers between the two price points. These include Caesar Guerini, Zoli, Blaser. Below is a link to Krieghoff‘s price list showing the price of the base guns and the upgrades. You can buy the guns a little cheaper than the listed prices.

https://www.krieghoff.com/wp-content...-Book-2018.pdf
Actually, before I typed my initial posting, I was thinking of a gun like the Beretta DT-11 as the highest end of the "functional" line. Above that it's much more about the ornamentation (engraving, checkering and precious metal inlays). At that point, there's really nowhere to go to improve on the basic mechanics of the gun, just making it more "artistic" and with a limited production.

JoeR
JoeRinMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 12:22 AM #18

I will go with JoeR on this one. I think you can get something extremely functional for between $5,000 and $10,000 when it comes to an o/u. Now, the Beretta 686 at $2,000 will last a while, the Beretta 692 at $4,000 is even nicer and longer lasting with shoulders that can be replaced. However, if you want the tank of all Beretta o/u shotguns, it runs about $10,000 for a DT-11, which is the next one I want.

Now, that does not mean I don't want a more expensive o/u. There are some really nice looking o/u shotguns out there that you are not buying for functionality, but for art. Kind of like buying the Mona Lisa or some other really expensive piece of art. Heck, a lot of us have a kitchen and bathroom that cost more for it to look pretty.

I have always dreamed of a Beretta SO6 that looks something like this, and cost around $25,000 when I was looking at it:
Attached Images

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:31 AM #19

A Turnbull Restorations A-1 Parker in 16 gauge would be nice or maybe a high end Merkel side-by-side in the same gauge.
28Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:32 AM #20

50 grand would be my max
bigdv is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns